C12 gets hot with 180 thermostats ther

I have a C12 cks that I put 180 thermostats in and blown radiater out really good but still gets up to 210!!! Any ideas????

tommyh

I used to have a c10
how is that radiator?I see you had blown it out but sometimes it may take more than that

my present radiator has the corners kinda clogged
I tried blowing it out and no luck
I need to pull it and maybe replace it

I removed the condenser and blew the air cooler and radiator out pretty good!!! (I thought) may not be enough I guess I'll remove the air cooler also and try it again???

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Supporter
I removed the condenser and blew the air cooler and radiator out pretty good!!! (I thought) may not be enough I guess I'll remove the air cooler also and try it again???
Need to check for flow restrictions. Impeller in the water pump could of separated internally. The inside of your radiator could be scaled causing poor flow. Thermostats upside down, bad viscous fan drive, bad temp switch for air or electric fan. There are literally 100 other things it could be.

I've been thinking the radiator might be clogged up !!!! Could the lip seals in the thermostat housing cause a problem???? I didnt replace those when I put the 180 thermostats in!!!!

r3gulator3

Supporter
I've been thinking the radiator might be clogged up !!!! Could the lip seals in the thermostat housing cause a problem???? I didnt replace those when I put the 180 thermostats in!!!!
If it’s leaking significantly past the thermostat yes.

So I pulled the thermostats and replaced the lip seals and drained the radiator and found a pile of rust!!!! I washed the radiator and the block out good!!! So where is the rust coming from???? Still runs 210!!!

r3gulator3

Supporter
So I pulled the thermostats and replaced the lip seals and drained the radiator and found a pile of rust!!!! I washed the radiator and the block out good!!! So where is the rust coming from???? Still runs 210!!!
210 is a completely normal operating temp. My questions are, why are you so concerned about 210 in the summer? What type of fan drive do you have vicious, electric, or air? If you have an electric or air fan have you reset the parameter to come on at a lower temp? CAT sets them to 212 from the factory.

It gets 210 and I back up out of it to bring the temps back down but if I maintain 65 or 70 loaded it will go way over 210 so I would like it to stay around 180 or 190.

r3gulator3

Supporter
It gets 210 and I back up out of it to bring the temps back down but if I maintain 65 or 70 loaded it will go way over 210 so I would like it to stay around 180 or 190.
Ok, does your fan turn on? It really seems to me you have a flow problem. Or a fan not turning on problem.

I'm sure it would cool down properly if it waseng clogged up with rust which I have no idea how it's getting rusty. I use all the proper coolants

r3gulator3

Supporter
Yes the fan works great. I think the rust is the problem but don't know how it formed
Coolant is half water, cast iron block. I doubt over the life of the truck the system was always checked for alkalinity and coolant flushed bi-annually. So there is that as a factor in creating rust.

Need to check for flow restrictions. Impeller in the water pump could of separated internally. The inside of your radiator could be scaled causing poor flow. Thermostats upside down, bad viscous fan drive, bad temp switch for air or electric fan. There are literally 100 other things it could be.
Even maybe running ac on high with outside temp is 101.