Brokers can get ****ed

Sinister

Order of The Gilded Flip Flop
Staff member
Supporter
O/O working as a broker under someone’s numbers

I’ll be compensated for a bunch of this. My employer is ticked off at this freight broker, to put it mildly

We talked about it in the last couple months. I told him one of us needs to step up to streamline things. At the end of the day, (while I do think the onus is on dispatch to do a lot of the admin stuff), if I’m the one calling for shipping hours I’m getting it from the horses mouth.

I guess looking at it another way, if I was dispatching, I’d look rate cons over before sending to the driver. Pickup address, phone number, shipping hours, appointment time, then delivery address, phone number, receiving hours, appointment time

Or maybe not on the rate con, but a dispatch sheet. Something like that. That’s the details I need to know, so that’s what I’d try to give a driver

I’ve dispatched for a bit.

That all depends on the company. If it’s a tiny outfit with 4 trucks, whoever is in the office is not that busy.

If it’s two people handing 100 trucks, a lot is going to slip.

Thread starter #82
Livingston :mad:

Some jackwad added a “x” to my customs paperwork number and cleared it. So now I have a customs paper with no entry number, and a new customs paper with no cargo info :coocoo:

I swear, on my Aunt Agatha’s famous clam chowder, if there is a god someone will drive a loaded semi into Livingston’s head office and burn it down
:bigpaddle:
They also screwed up the port numbers, basically the start and finish locations. That’s rrrreeeaaaallllyyyy not good news when a border employee hands you back your papers saying it’s a big mess, they’ve never seen that before, and good luck :cautious:

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
Livingston :mad:

Some jackwad added a “x” to my customs paperwork number and cleared it. So now I have a customs paper with no entry number, and a new customs paper with no cargo info :coocoo:

I swear, on my Aunt Agatha’s famous clam chowder, if there is a god someone will drive a loaded semi into Livingston’s head office and burn it down
They also screwed up the port numbers, basically the start and finish locations. That’s rrrreeeaaaallllyyyy not good news when a border employee hands you back your papers saying it’s a big mess, they’ve never seen that before, and good luck :cautious:
Well, on the plus side you didn't get stuck at the border for the weekend. Thank God for inbond!

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
I am pretty sure the paperwork can be easily fixed. I mean customs knows the port numbers and Livingston should have the original information, I know customs will have it.

Plus it is a flatdeck load. Not like it is 685 items of airfreight.

I had 685 items of airfreight and the customs guy says what is this here? It has no description.
I backed the trailer in the dock and crawled over the freight and actually found the item.
It was a pack of about 24 blank CD's. Talk about a needle in the haystack.

(And dammit I am trying to make last call at the bar near home and I am in Sarnia)

Thread starter #87
I am pretty sure the paperwork can be easily fixed. I mean customs knows the port numbers and Livingston should have the original information, I know customs will have it.

Plus it is a flatdeck load. Not like it is 685 items of airfreight.

I had 685 items of airfreight and the customs guy says what is this here? It has no description.
I backed the trailer in the dock and crawled over the freight and actually found the item.
It was a pack of about 24 blank CD's. Talk about a needle in the haystack.

(And dammit I am trying to make last call at the bar near home and I am in Sarnia)
It wasn’t easy. Customs had to cancel the new pars trip, the one with the “x”. Livingston removed the entry number first. Then Livingston had to fax everything down, so the agent could set up a new trip. Then Livingston had to clear it and add an entry number. Then the agent stamped everything and I was off to the bond office.

I was there around 8:00 am and was hooking to my wagon around 3:00 pm.....

Thread starter #88
Brokers are so ****ing stupid and inept it’s not even funny. Got flipped a rate con this morning, supposed to grab 4 skidsteers as a reload. Says at the top of the rate con 36,660 lbs weight for the load. Then each skidsteer weight is listed individually at 6000 lbs. **** I can do that math in my head 4 x 6 is 24, so 24000 pounds

Oh, that’s only 12,000 lbs difference. What’s the issue @Skateboard puller ?

Well, legally, if one of the machines weighs over 10,000 lbs by itself I need to use 3/8” chain, at a minimum for securement. Under 10K 5/16” is fine

Freight brokers are like weather forecasters. They can be wrong day in day out all day long yet still have a job :cautious:

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Staff member
Supporter
Brokers are so ****ing stupid and inept it’s not even funny. Got flipped a rate con this morning, supposed to grab 4 skidsteers as a reload. Says at the top of the rate con 36,660 lbs weight for the load. Then each skidsteer weight is listed individually at 6000 lbs. **** I can do that math in my head 4 x 6 is 24, so 24000 pounds

Oh, that’s only 12,000 lbs difference. What’s the issue @Skateboard puller ?

Well, legally, if one of the machines weighs over 10,000 lbs by itself I need to use 3/8” chain, at a minimum for securement. Under 10K 5/16” is fine

Freight brokers are like weather forecasters. They can be wrong day in day out all day long yet still have a job :cautious:
I pulled 16k-20k forklifts with 5/16” I use 4 through the tie down holes and use them as indirect tie downs and then I put a 4x4 on each side of an axle, as a chock block. Then a 4” strap over the forks. The big one is 30698. Secured per saftey.
1759A1C9-A72D-4732-8340-4C7F4C580221.jpeg

The small one was 6989

Here’s how I used indirect tie down. On this load each lift is 21k and change.

72C26277-CEFE-4ED3-9127-92FCE3B5C228.jpeg

Thread starter #90
I pulled 16k-20k forklifts with 5/16” I use 4 through the tie down holes and use them as indirect tie downs and then I put a 4x4 on each side of an axle, as a chock block. Then a 4” strap over the forks. The big one is 30698. Secured per saftey. View attachment 45685
The small one was 6989

Here’s how I used indirect tie down. On this load each lift is 21k and change.

View attachment 45684
Nice work!!

National Safety Code 10 (Canuck rules) states that heavy equipment, 10K and up, must be secured with a minimum of four securement systems meeting a minimum of 5000 lbs WLL. 5/16” chain is rated for 4700 lbs WLL.

Do I agree with it? Probably not, but at a previous company a safety manager warned me it was an easy ticket to get, but also easy to avoid.

RDBG

Guys at this company love to secure our 18k paver with one chain on each side. I'm the only one that uses 4. Why f-in bother they say......
And you wonder why the green and whites are in our corn holes......

Thread starter #92
It wasn’t easy. Customs had to cancel the new pars trip, the one with the “x”. Livingston removed the entry number first. Then Livingston had to fax everything down, so the agent could set up a new trip. Then Livingston had to clear it and add an entry number. Then the agent stamped everything and I was off to the bond office.

I was there around 8:00 am and was hooking to my wagon around 3:00 pm.....
Well after this is all said and done, the load broker is refusing to pay any thing extra.

I’m out $300, missed a charity supper with friends, stuck in the big smoke for almost two days, and not gonna see a wooden nickel for any of it

****ing brokers :mad: