Break the Ice Indeed!

JISTA GAL

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to become part of this Forum. I am brand-spanking new to the Industry and am currently entering my 7th week as a Regional Solo Driver. I am looking to connect with other Drivers who have both "been-there-done-that," and those who are just nicely getting their feet wet, like me :) I entered the Professional Driver Pool as sort of a "Pre-Retirement Gig" kind of thing. I can honestly say I had no idea what I was getting into, but I'm not one to shy away from a challenge and I've never been afraid of hard work. So ... here I am. Thank you again, for having me :)

GAnthony

Non-Canadian truck driver
Supporter
welcome

"pre-retirement gig"...???

you "retired" from another occupation..???

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Supporter
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to become part of this Forum. I am brand-spanking new to the Industry and am currently entering my 7th week as a Regional Solo Driver. I am looking to connect with other Drivers who have both "been-there-done-that," and those who are just nicely getting their feet wet, like me :) I entered the Professional Driver Pool as sort of a "Pre-Retirement Gig" kind of thing. I can honestly say I had no idea what I was getting into, but I'm not one to shy away from a challenge and I've never been afraid of hard work. So ... here I am. Thank you again, for having me :)
Welcome! What kind of wagon you dragin’? If your ok with the details who do you drive for?

JISTA GAL

GAnthony -- I needed a change from my previous job that I held for 10+ years, but not ready to retire yet (let's just say I'm in the 50+ age bracket :)), so that's why I'm calling it my "pre-retirement gig."

r3gulator3 -- Prefer to keep the Company confidential, but I drive a 53' Dry Van; little bit of drop & hook, little bit of live load/unload.

r3gulator3

Supporter
GAnthony -- I needed a change from my previous job that I held for 10+ years, but not ready to retire yet (let's just say I'm in the 50+ age bracket :)), so that's why I'm calling it my "pre-retirement gig."

r3gulator3 -- Prefer to keep the Company confidential, but I drive a 53' Dry Van; little bit of drop & hook, little bit of live load/unload.
Completely respect your privacy. Just curiosity on my part. I been at it for 2.5 years. Been with TMC the whole time. I love pullin my open deck. My brother is an OO who pulls a 53’ box. Everyone plays their part in the industry. I’m 90% live load and tarp. I get an occasional preload/pretarp but that doesn’t happen very often.

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
Glad you could join us.
12 years in. Started with a mega, went to a mom n pop, went to a big but not mega, returned to the original mega and now running for a small private fleet. Still love my job.

GAnthony

Supporter

i was 50+ twice...i stayed back in the 6th grade.....

Sinister

Supermodel
Staff member
Supporter
There’s a third category not mentioned. People who’ve been at this a long time and are still clueless. We have some of those too. Like the type of people that haul gas and still pass right by gas stations...Isn’t that right, Keendriver Keendriver ?

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Welcome.

I started pre-cellphone. When you still had a phone at the booth in the restaurant and a telephone bank in the drivers lounge. You kept a roll of dimes and quarters handy too.

It's morphed into a pretty cushy job now.

r3gulator3

Supporter
Welcome.

I started pre-cellphone. When you still had a phone at the booth in the restaurant and a telephone bank in the drivers lounge. You kept a roll of dimes and quarters handy too.

Dang when did you start trucking 1985? Dimes? 🤣🤣

GAnthony

Supporter
Welcome.

Dang when did you start trucking 1985? Dimes? 🤣🤣

you go right ahead and laugh at us carrying dimes...

when I FIRST started, we had to send up smoke signals, then we progressed to tin cans and miles of string.

man were we ever glad that all we had to carry later on was 57 pounds of nickels and dimes.

r3gulator3

Supporter
you go right ahead and laugh at us carrying dimes...

when I FIRST started, we had to send up smoke signals, then we progressed to tin cans and miles of string.

man were we ever glad that all we had to carry later on was 57 pounds of nickels and dimes.
Look I remember pay phone days, only hearing from my dad a couple times a week. Pay phones were a quarter my whole life. Until like 93 when they went to .50. Cellphones were commonplace by 2001. So when someone refers to carrying dimes. It means they been trucking since Moby Dick was a minnow.

GAnthony

Supporter
Look I remember pay phone days, only hearing from my dad a couple times a week. Pay phones were a quarter my whole life. Until like 93 when they went to .50. Cellphones were commonplace by 2001. So when someone refers to carrying dimes. It means they been trucking since Moby Dick was a minnow.
pay phones were 5 cents back in my day, then 10, the 25, then 50

and Mobey Dick wasn't even a glimmer in his dad's eyes yet.>!!!!