Brake clean or rubbing alcohol, what do you use to clean up after cooking?

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
I’ve had equal luck with both. I probably grab the (non-chlorinated) brake clean after BBQing. In the truck usually rubbing alcohol.

Is there anything better to use? Anything to worry about health wise? I try to let everything evaporate before using near food, like I may hit my tongs or flippers, let dry, then flip my burgers or shishkababs.

What’s y’all use?

tommyh

its been so long since I cooked something in the truck I cant remember.Most stuff I took home every weekend and washed it with DAWN
drink the alcohol.use the brake clean to do the cleaning

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
its been so long since I cooked something in the truck I cant remember.Most stuff I took home every weekend and washed it with DAWN
drink the alcohol.use the brake clean to do the cleaning
You know he's not too brite. Probably the first time he's ever paid attention to this sort of advice...

I’m skeptical of using Walmart sinks for sanitary purposes....

Maybe a shower stall, but again, sanitary?
Yup... dumber than a box 'o rocks. Can't figure out how to make a puddle of clean water...

Last edited:

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
I’ve had equal luck with both. I probably grab the (non-chlorinated) brake clean after BBQing. In the truck usually rubbing alcohol.

Is there anything better to use? Anything to worry about health wise? I try to let everything evaporate before using near food, like I may hit my tongs or flippers, let dry, then flip my burgers or shishkababs.

What’s y’all use?
Dude, Please tell us you are just trolling the Forum. Brake cleaner, really?:rolllaugh::bonk:

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
If it were me I would sooner take my chances by just wiping the flipper and tongs than using brake cleaner.
Salmonella sounds more palatable than deadly chemicals.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
I use rubbing alcohol. It evaporates quickly and won't cause problems even if you do manage to consume a small amount by accident.
:coocoo:

What happens if you drink rubbing alcohol?

We’ve all wondered it at one time or another: If rubbing alcohol is alcohol, just like beer and wine is, what happens if I drink it? The short answer? You’ll indeed get drunk, but you have a far greater chance of dying from it.
The type of alcohol that rubbing alcohol is made with (isopropyl alcohol) is metabolized differently by your body than the type of alcohol in beer, wine, and liquor (ethyl alcohol), so, according to the Betty Ford Center, drinking even a small amount of rubbing alcohol can have potentially fatal consequences. All alcohols are potentially deadly if you drink enough over a short period of time, but rubbing alcohol is generally 70-percent pure alcohol, or 140 proof. As little as eight ounces can be lethal.
That’s not to say that if you dilute rubbing alcohol with water to a reasonable percentage you can’t mix up your favorite cocktail with it; that couldn’t be farther from the truth. Rubbing alcohol is made with what’s called denatured alcohol, meaning that chemicals have been added to it in order to make it downright poisonous, incredibly bad-tasting, and nauseating, with the express purpose of discouraging recreational consumption.

Volvo 670 Mafia

the type of alcohol that rubbing alcohol is made with (isopropyl alcohol) is metabolized differently by your body than the type of alcohol in beer, wine, and liquor (ethyl alcohol),
Order of most drinkable to least:
  1. Ethyl
  2. Isopropyl
  3. Methyl
The third one is the really nasty stuff that will cause blindness and perhaps death. If you took a shot of number 2 you would just puke.

Rubbing alcohol is made with what’s called denatured alcohol
There are two types of "rubbing alcohol." The first one is the most common in the US and it's isopropyl at 70 and 91 percent concentrations, the rest is water. The second one is ethyl based and that's the reason why it's denatured, meaning has methyl added to it.

So yeah, if you clean a spoon with isopropyl and put it straight in your mouth without letting the stuff evaporate literally nothing will happen.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
OK. For all the less mentally developed in the audience here's the deal...

Required items:

Paper towels
Dish soap (Dawn, etc)
1 gallon drinking water (refillable at the truck stop)
A pan or plastic tub (bottom of a discarded gallon water bottle can be used)

Directions:

1. Use paper towels as necessary to remove as much leftover food and grease from everything to be cleaned.

2. Pour a small among of water in the pan or tub, and soak everything to be cleaned for about 10 minutes.

3. Set a dry paper towel on a convenient surface to absorb excess water from cleaned items.

4. Wet a paper towel, and squeeze a small amount of dish soap on the wet paper towel.

5. Take a dirty item, apply soap with a back and forth motion known as "scrubbing" until item has all grease, etc removed.

6. While you're holding the item, rinse off soap over the pan or tub. Place on dry paper towel.

7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 until you're done. If you've got a pan, do it last. Dump out water.

8. Dry off items with paper towel.

Got it? Using rubbing alcohol or brake cleaner is stupid, and hazardous to your health.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
OK. For all the less mentally developed in the audience here's the deal...

Required items:

Paper towels
Dish soap (Dawn, etc)
1 gallon drinking water (refillable at the truck stop)
A pan or plastic tub (bottom of a discarded gallon water bottle can be used)

Directions:

1. Use paper towels as necessary to remove as much leftover food and grease from everything to be cleaned.

2. Pour a small among of water in the pan or tub, and soak everything to be cleaned for about 10 minutes.

3. Set a dry paper towel on a convenient surface to absorb excess water from cleaned items.

4. Wet a paper towel, and squeeze a small amount of dish soap on the wet paper towel.

5. Take a dirty item, apply soap with a back and forth motion known as "scrubbing" until item has all grease, etc removed.

6. While you're holding the item, rinse off soap over the pan or tub. Place on dry paper towel.

7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 until you're done. If you've got a pan, do it last. Dump out water.

8. Dry off items with paper towel.

Got it? Using rubbing alcohol or brake cleaner is stupid, and hazardous to your health.
Excellent guide for company drivers! 👍
Owner ops and independents..... just toss those used utensils in the trash and buy new ones. :rolllaugh:

Volvo 670 Mafia

I have found that a bottle of isopropyl is to me what Windex was to the elderly father in My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Here are some uses for it besides the cleaning of utensils.

-window cleaner
-disinfection of cuts
-sterilizing of toilet seats
-de-icer
-aftershave
-breaking down diesel residue on hands

It really is a one bottle does it all.

Last edited:

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
I have found that a bottle of isopropyl is to me what Windex was to the elderly father in My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Here are some uses for it besides the of cleaning utensils.

-window cleaner
-disinfection of cuts
-sterilizing of toilet seats
-de-icer
-aftershave
-breaking down diesel residue on hands

It really is a one bottle does it all.
It’s quite handy to have a bottle or two on the truck. Never know when you’re stuck somewhere and need to use it.