Truck Repair Brake chambers

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
without a cage, you deserve to be a Darwin candidate to change a spring chamber side diaphragm. Even in a cage they are sketchy.
Some of the pre Maxi brake designs were totally sketchy. As long as you're meticulous about ensuring the cage bolt is properly inserted, the maxis are safe as can be. Problem is far too many guys are lackadaisical about ensuring the cage bolt is properly seated, and the first little vibration releases the damn thing after it's.apart.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
Clevis and nut off, measured 1-3/8”. Nut on the new one, measure n mark the new one.

Cut it off and jam them back on the truck, right?
That looks like the right clevis now

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Supporter
Wait does forking pickles really mean to fork pickles or something else?

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
BD08D982-F033-44FD-9D6B-37038B60D851.jpegD4E5B1D9-E633-46B4-A9B3-674491C18C32.jpeg
Should I put shins on the RH side of the 1/2” pin?
It could slide over and hit the bracket

The new pins are 1/2” longer than the old ones

Hillbilly Canuck

My theory is always replace brake parts as an axle if you do something to the left you should also do it to the right.
I'm admittedly not the most mechanical in the world but I'm slowly learning the longer I drive and issues happen. That would seem to make more sense though.

Ontario Outlaw Ontario Outlaw and I were just having this conversation when my company's shop decided to do one on each drive axle instead of the pairs when two of them had broken springs.

nan

Supporter
I always do pairs. If the left goes, the right is probably about to go shortly.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
I'm admittedly not the most mechanical in the world but I'm slowly learning the longer I drive and issues happen. That would seem to make more sense though.

Ontario Outlaw Ontario Outlaw and I were just having this conversation when my company's shop decided to do one on each drive axle instead of the pairs when two of them had broken springs.
I understand it from a fleet viewpoint, just fix what’s broken and get the truck moving again. You’re a little different, your current ride stays pretty local. Road service calls in the USA are ignorant and should be avoided if at all possible

However, in my opinion, like r3gulator3 r3gulator3 said, if you do one side chances are the other side isn’t far behind.

Talked to a local shop about it last week too, coincidentally. They were having issues on a couple trailers and were discussing replacing all the brakes. Maxis, air lines, shoes, s cams, drums, spring kits....everything. They said it’s far cheaper to do that at home than on the road. It sounds expensive to rebuild them like that....but he said he HATES paying for a maxi on the road. $20 maxi that takes 15 minutes for one of his guys to swap out ALWAYS costs $2-300 on the road somewhere.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
If there's any chance of it catching, then yes, shim it.
7D7097E8-E053-461C-A44F-084F6A66687E.jpeg
I had these made at a local machine shop. Stainless steel, 1/8” thick. The thin washers I’ll use between the cotter pin and the clevis, but they could be used as shims too

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
View attachment 50705
I had these made at a local machine shop. Stainless steel, 1/8” thick. The thin washers I’ll use between the cotter pin and the clevis, but they could be used as shims too
Well that’s a thankless job. I got the front drive axle done tonight. The shims I had made up do the trick nicely. I still have to add a shim to the pins on the rear axle.
But at least they’re getting grease for now