Bling and Other Extras vs. Profitability

PapaDough

Thread starter #41
Why?..... nothing hill billy about it. I just like a nice rig that looks a little different than your average T800. Not sure I even really look like a hillbilly.... View attachment 43180
Sorry, brother. No offence intended.

Just not my style of truck, but then again, as a company driver, I drive whatever I'm given, without prejudice, cuz I get paid the same. LOL

dave350

Making assumptions about an individual by what they drive (or anything else on the exterior) is a fruitless endeavor. Fact is you don’t know anything about them so it’s an absolute waste of time.

Maybe the person driving the nice truck budgets a little out of his checks for improvements and let’s it build up in a savings account. Maybe a larger portion of his savings goes to appreciating assets. Maybe a big house and fancy car payments aren’t attractive to him. His/her truck is an outlet for an interest. Same goes for the person driving the ragged truck. You never know. In my small town I know of a couple folks that are wealthy but you’d never know from their house or cars. Then there’s others that portray an image of wealth but it’s all debt. Again, who really knows. And it’s impossible to make accurate assessments at 65 mpg on an interstate.

So what's the best way to wire up a string of lights? It always seems however you make the connection that's where you have the problem. I currently usually solder and heat shrink. The good double wall stuff. I've heard everything from hot glue gun to dialectic grease before you shrink the heat shrink

I hate fixing other people's wiring :foreheadslap:

Also, what's a good way to look for a short in a harness?

You ***** and moan anyway, even when it has nothing to do with work.

Test light. $3 or 4 at WalMart.

I can't hook the circuit up, it will pop a 30 amp fuse in no time. I was thinking a spare battery or booster cables to that circuit by itself, and look for any lights that are out. 20-24 lights on that circuit.
If there aren't any out then I'm back to square one

But thank you!

InTooDeep

I can't hook the circuit up, it will pop a 30 amp fuse in no time. I was thinking a spare battery or booster cables to that circuit by itself, and look for any lights that are out. 20-24 lights on that circuit.
If there aren't any out then I'm back to square one

But thank you!
You could use a small motorcycle battery

So what's the best way to wire up a string of lights? It always seems however you make the connection that's where you have the problem. I currently usually solder and heat shrink. The good double wall stuff. I've heard everything from hot glue gun to dialectic grease before you shrink the heat shrink

I had to rewire a boat and I mean everything on the boat. I used liquid electric tape on all the connections to water seal them before I used heat shrink and also on any connectors I filled the open ends where the wire went in with that stuff and being a large John boat there was plenty of spray and things getting wet every time we took it out but I never had another problem with any of the electrical.

Ranger_375

Pre-fit heatshrink tubing longer than you think you'll need over one part of the wire.
Wet the lines (presolder on the exposed wires you'll be working with)
Linemans splice
Add Solder to the splice functionally joining it into one big wad
Once cold, slide up heatshrink and apply necessary heat
Slather with liquid electrical tape
use loom wherever possible to protect from abrasion to the insulation and subsequent grounding/shorts

That's my preferred technique. Double waterproofed, tension resistant connection. It's the connection process I would use for wiring up every emergency vehicle I helped upfit. Never had one come back due to wiring failures.