Trucking News: Bill would mandate automatic emergency braking on new heavy-duty trucks

nan

Supporter
Word to the wise, if finances get tight, expect this to get worse.
No doubt. I have a pretty good tolerance for certain defects but when it comes to safety and premature fatigue, I'm insane.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
That is exactly why I am against extra safety features on trucks OR cars. They lull the driver into a false sense of security.

Back when I learned to drive we were taught to pump the brakes instead of this ABS bullshit.

Back up cameras, OnGuard, ABS, traction control, lane departure warnings....it all breeds poorer and poorer drivers

The other day it had rained. In my personal truck heading into town, the ass end kicked loose. Light throttle leaving from a red light turned green. Let off the throttle and let it hook

Two winters ago the big horse hit some ice. Felt the drives kick out. Let off the fuel and felt it straighten out. No different than my truck on the wet pavement.

Learn to drive and this new age junk is redundant

I can guarantee r3gulator3 r3gulator3 doesn’t need any of the “safety” crap he has on his truck
Which is why you're getting flipped off continually.

Mike

Staff member
Maybe they know you were a diesel mechanic? :O_o:
It's just their mentality. They take maintenance upkeep seriously. Everyone jokes about them being military, but that just goes with the same mentality.

I spent years as a tech. Companies I drove for wanted to hear nothing I had to say, other than the small company I mentioned that actually listened and respected people.

Duck

Bumper sticker slogan goes here
Supporter
One time I wrote up my truck for "ride height changes constantly when driving on rough surfaces" and then I waited til AFTER the crabby mechanic pulled the linkage rod and tested the leveler valve to tell him to read the write-up again slowly.

He didn't think it was funny. But I did. 😁

nan

Supporter
One time I wrote up my truck for "ride height changes constantly when driving on rough surfaces" and then I waited til AFTER the crabby mechanic pulled the linkage rod and tested the leveler valve to tell him to read the write-up again slowly.

He didn't think it was funny. But I did. 😁
You're the reason I can't get new shocks.

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Supporter
Maybe they know you were a diesel mechanic? :O_o:
One guy takes that into consideration. Send in breakdown. First question is can you send a pic. Send a pic. Next did you change the fuel filter? Road repair are basically telemarketers, they follow a script, they don’t know the first thing about what’s going on with your truck. There’s one guy at the DSM shop that has figured out I’m very knowledgeable about Cummins engines and asks me questions every time he sees me.

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
A new bill introduced in the House would require automatic emergency braking (AEB) technology to become a standard feature for new commercial motor vehicles.

The Safe Roads Act, HR3773, was introduced on Tuesday, July 16 by Reps. Jesus “Chuy” Garcia, D-Ill., and Rep. Hank Johnson, D-Ga.

“Automatic braking systems are a simple, commonsense solution to deploy proven crash-avoidance technologies,” Garcia said in a news release. “Rep. Johnson and I agree that we should always operate on a safety-first basis. Any further delays to implement this important, life-saving technology will only result in more preventable, tragic deaths and catastrophic injuries.”

So, the bill's co-sponsor is Hank Johnson? This is the guy who thought Guam might tip over.

That'll be a no from me, dawg.

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Supporter
Y’all ever seen a military photographer set up? I have several times. And no **** dude had a plumb bob on his tripod. Now not all of them are that meticulous. But it was fun to watch him move them legs around till it was eyeball straight. Like dude if we stay in this street in Ramadi much longer that Kevlar vest ain’t gonna stop what’s coming at us.

Latest posts