Big Truck Transmissions

Big Truck Transmissions - Automatic or Standard?

• Total voters

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
That would have been the trailer ABS light I imagine. Your dash light only comes on if the system has a problem in the truck. The two systems are completely separate, and trailer ABS won't be affected by pulling the relay in your tractor.
Ok ya it was just the bulb at the back of the trailer.

freedhardwoods

freedhardwoods
ABS is just a gadget for people that don't want to learn how to stop. I was driving long before it was on most vehicles.

I do realize that even good drivers can stop a little quicker in a vehicle that has it, but I still think everyone should learn how to drive without it because anything can fail to work sometimes.

Racer X 69

Hey! Here are some more videos of multi~stick shifting.

An old Mack:

[video=youtube;2mf6AUbjT-s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2mf6AUbjT-s#at=69[/video]

And listen to that old Detroit whine!

[video=youtube;K2zwd1iazvU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2zwd1iazvU&NR=1[/video]

Here is a walk around of the Detroit:

[video=youtube;je0LHKp51u0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je0LHKp51u0&NR=1[/video]

One more of the old Detroit screamer:

[video=youtube;6IKPecdbis0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IKPecdbis0&feature=related[/video]

Mike

Staff member
It's nice watching those videos, but much rather drive what I have today....

theiglookid

I have only driven sticks and am not sure I would want an auto. The stick gives me something to do, plus you're supposed to be chaanging gears if your a trucker.

johnl1959

The "BIG" companies are going to automatics because "they" claim it's easier on the drive train. Less stress on clutches, driveshafts, and rear ends. Driving schools use them for the same reasons. It's easier to "teach" a new driver to drive with automatics... 1 less thing to have to train these kids on (how to shift a manual trans). Besides the schools don't care if you know how to shift or not, all they care about is getting more students & money thru their class. Take a look at the dealers lots and you will see how popular the auto.trans are. They can't hardly give them away! Take 2 identicle trucks, 1 with a man.trans, and the other with an auto. trans, and check the price. Some dealers have newer auto/trans. trucks with less miles & more features, priced thousands$$$ less than the same or older truck with a man/trans. I currently drive for someone and have a CRAP'OMATIC trans. It shifts way too slow, w/empty, sometimes won't shift at all, or will drop from 6th to 2nd in the middle of an intersection. I've commentated to the truck owner about this, ( should be a SAFETY ISSUE) and he tells me to give it a chance, "You'll get used to it".

countryboy

windsheld chipper
I'm driving a 15 speed, and really glad I had it friday. Had to drop a couple of loads on a muddy road up in the hills. I don't think an auto could have made it in or out of the place! but I've never drove one so who knows.
Wow, hard to believe only 5 people on this forum drive a standard or automatic truck.What are the rest driving?

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
15's are good, A gear for every situation. Nope an auto probably would have got stuck, They tend to do that and theres nothing you can do.You can't rock it like a standerd. your just stuck!

countryboy

windsheld chipper
It was wet! it just stopped raining when I started the 14 mile trip down their dirt road. The only turn around spot was a few mile further down. They thought I could turn around in that spot just to the right in this picture, but I would have sunk to the axel.

Rraccoon

I still remember the callouses on the inside of my arm from sticking it through the steering wheel and shifting the old duplex Mack when I started driving. Owned a few 13 speeds and a 15 speed and even drove a Mack triplex for a short time. The only automatic I tried was a pain in the butt. The rpms had to come up before it would engage and it was a bear to dock with. Just give me a good 'l 10 speed and I'm happy. If you have an engine with a good power band that's all you need.

countryboy

windsheld chipper
LOL, I still remember the bruses on the inside of my arm when I started dirving back in the 70's. We had an old Mack we used to haul our dragline from ranch to ranch.

freedhardwoods

freedhardwoods
I wish they would make a 13 speed with reverse on the button instead of the stick so I could have 5 reverses. I use high reverse a lot. The jump from low to high is too big and sometimes high is just a little too fast, but low is way too slow.

freedhardwoods

freedhardwoods
A driver has to be pretty good to back up a truck and trailer at anything over 1 or 2 mph.
If you had to back up as much as I do, a lot of you guys and gals would be real good at it. It isn't unusual for me to put 1 or 2 miles a week on the odometer in reverse. The farthest I've had to back at 1 site is 3 miles.
I didn't know the odometer and speedometer worked in reverse before I got this job. :headscratch:

Mack made a transmission with 5 reverse gears. It was the TRDL1070 Mack 10 speed.
Is that the one they called a triplex?

Mr. Q

Silent Observer
There's just something special about having to shift gears and control what I do while driving my truck. Trucking just isn't trucking with automatic transmissions. And for those of you that went from driving manual to automatics, how many times did your reach for a gear-shift lever that doesn't exist? I'm pretty sure that they have their advantages as well as disadvantages, but for me personally I wouldn't drive a truck with an automatic transmission.

bigyellowpete

Town Bike
Supporter
If you had to back up as much as I do, a lot of you guys and gals would be real good at it. It isn't unusual for me to put 1 or 2 miles a week on the odometer in reverse. The farthest I've had to back at 1 site is 3 miles.
I didn't know the odometer and speedometer worked in reverse before I got this job. :headscratch:

Is that the one they called a triplex?
I think it was. You had 5 gear positions, and reverse, neutral, low, and high selector on the same switch. Low/hi for each gear going forward, and reverse for all five lever positions. Made for great fun in the yard. The truck I drove with that transmission was a mid '80's vintage Mack cab-over. 168" wheelbase. Talk about a smooooooooth ride!

wargames

Drug Runner
This thread is not related to the kind of trannies I was thinking of, and due to morbid curiousity, I'm deeply disappointed, and sucked into a conversation about trucks. I do not come to this forum to talk about trucks.

I have a gardening forum for that.

goddamit. Now I have to read the options and vote, and discuss something when I'd much rather make fun of freaks or fat people.
Hell with the Thread, your avatar is killing me. LOL

Fageol

Old acid hauler but not too caustic
I'd rather have a 6x4 set of sticks anyday
I'd prefer a 5 speed main and a 4 speed brownie. Like the brownies with the deep under so one can save a main box hole. Maybe it comes down to splits. The 18 speeds are pretty good in that the splits are all about 300 rpm. Never drove an automatic except as a firefighter running a Seagrave 1500 gpm pumper that would test at 2000 gpm. It had an Allison behind a Screamin' Jimmy V8-71. That combination worked OK and one would not have to shift any focus from finding a way through traffic and avoiding folks who couldn't hear sirens as their radios were knocking out 140 dB. This was in Richmond CA from 1970 to 1980.

Fageol

Old acid hauler but not too caustic
This thread is not related to the kind of trannies I was thinking of, and due to morbid curiousity, I'm deeply disappointed, and sucked into a conversation about trucks. I do not come to this forum to talk about trucks.

I have a gardening forum for that.

goddamit. Now I have to read the options and vote, and discuss something when I'd much rather make fun of freaks or fat people.
In gardening you have plants and get to transplant. In trucking you have transmissions but don't to transmit? It's so confusing. Maybe I'll have to press "2" for Espanol so the noun-verb relationship will be consistent. Never drove an automatic in a class 8 truck and my 10-years experience driving automatic transmission fire trucks is hardly typical. But if truck automatics are as good as car automatics, I'm guessing that they're pretty good. But I'm an old guy and occasionally reach for the stick to reef the brownie from direct to under when climbing. Then I miss the shift and have to drop a hole or two. One of these days I'll learn 18 speed lingo other than the term "basement" for the low range.