New To Trucking Best company to work for

I have been working for my company for few months. It seems all I do is sit at the docks. What are some opinions on a good company to work for that does more drop and hook or has less dock time. I'm very frustrated.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
I have been working for my company for few months. It seems all I do is sit at the docks. What are some opinions on a good company to work for that does more drop and hook or has less dock time. I'm very frustrated.
more drop and hook means finding someone who has big contracts. which means big carriers.

Even if you were to go to open deck, your sit time will be the same. The difference is, instead of sitting in the cab watching the mirror for a little red light to turn green, you get to walk around your truck several times tossing chains, straps and tarps for about the same amount of time. Only you will be dirty, sweaty and tired. And still have to put in a days drive when you are done.

I’d rather work for a couple hours and get paid for it, than sit in the truck off duty and earn nothing

Most companies pay $25-50 for picks and drops, and the same for tarping and untarping

It’s an extra $100-300 every week

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Multi stops, I always got paid $25-50 for in a van/reefer as well.

There is NO benefit to run open deck over a box trailer other than pride and attitude.

Want to get all cocky about "makin' more money"...

It's nothing until you get into specialized equipment. Stepdeck, stepdeck with ramps RGN, pneumatic, tanker, fuel tanker, HazMat(even this is questionable) and super loads.

What’s wrong with having pride?

It’s my load, my securement, my tarp job going down the highway

OR slam those doors and get no respect

Wanna be somebody gotta be somebody

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Where do you want your home time at? Van or reefer, or do you care? The most important things to you besides not sitting?

dchawk81

I’d rather work for a couple hours and get paid for it, than sit in the truck off duty and earn nothing

Most companies pay $25-50 for picks and drops, and the same for tarping and untarping

It’s an extra $100-300 every week
How much do you get a mile in addition to your securement pay?

We get paid for detention regardless of logbook status but it doesn't kick in for two hours and it's bollocks compared to all our other pay.

It averaged to around 5 cpm more to run open deck as a company ride. Usually 5 cpm more to run the NE, too

I’ve lost track of that stuff. I’ve been on percentage for a long time

Where do you want your home time at? Van or reefer, or do you care? The most important things to you besides not sitting?
I prefer to be home at least every other weekend. I have drove van and reefer, either is fine with me. Other than sitting, the pay and taking my wife with me is very important.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
I prefer to be home at least every other weekend. I have drove van and reefer, either is fine with me. Other than sitting, the pay and taking my wife with me is very important.
OK, so you want something besides loacal, and a rider policy is important. Where in the country are you?

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
One thing to consider for home time is what lane you live in and who you are driving for.

The biggest right there.

Working for someone that doesn't work your region is pointless. You'll never be home.

Living outside of a normal freight lane like Timbuktu Wyoming is just as bad.

Living within 10-15 miles of I70,I55,I39, I57 in Illinois, pretty good shot at being home on a regular basis. Especially say around Effingham Il or someplace at a crossroads like that.

It takes time to get loaded and unloaded. For general planning, just figure 2-3 hours for normal times.

Yes, I know some places are in and out and others are enough to take a 10 at. But just in general.

Now getting someone to pay you what your worth, especially the federal court decision this week that even unloading/loading time has to be paid, that will take some figuring and searching.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Out by copperhead road? Granddad run into town with his weekly load?

Knoxville ain't a bad crossroad to be at.

Last edited:

Ranger_375

Multi stops, I always got paid $25-50 for in a van/reefer as well.

There is NO benefit to run open deck over a box trailer other than pride and attitude.

Want to get all cocky about "makin' more money"...

It's nothing until you get into specialized equipment. Stepdeck, stepdeck with ramps RGN, pneumatic, tanker, fuel tanker, HazMat(even this is questionable) and super loads.
Losing 70lbs in a year
Actually having to think at work
More appreciative shippers and receivers

Money ain't bad either.