Being prepared

THBatMan8

Thread starter #1
Driving for a smaller company, i go to a lot of different job sites that require PPE. Steel toe boots, jeans, reflective clothing and hard hats. I was at such a place yesterday. A dollar tree distribution center under construction in Warrensburg, Missouri dropping off a conveyer belt. Youd be surprised how many times ive been told how rare it is for drivers, especially otr drivers, to have all the supplies. Theyve told me they had to kick numerous drivers off the property without unloading them.

Its not that hard to have all the supplies you need.

GAnthony

Supporter
Driving for a smaller company, i go to a lot of different job sites that require PPE. Steel toe boots, jeans, reflective clothing and hard hats. I was at such a place yesterday. A dollar tree distribution center under construction in Warrensburg, Missouri dropping off a conveyer belt. Youd be surprised how many times ive been told how rare it is for drivers, especially otr drivers, to have all the supplies. Theyve told me they had to kick numerous drivers off the property without unloading them.

Its not that hard to have all the supplies you need.
i did a real short gig as a fuel hauler for an onsite diesel fueling service.

the boss told me, he supplies EVERYTHING he employee's needed.

well, i had to start one day earlier, and as a result, no hard hat..

ok, so me and the guy showing me the job, pull into the Shell/Motiva yard. i needed a hard hat before i drove onto the racks.

so me and my "trainer" go into the office, i show my TWIC card, (he was on file) and i was given a hard hat....

a PINK ONE........!!!!

needless to say, i had to wear that, PINK ONE, begrudgingly.......

my boss was very apologetic.....but that didn't help my manhood, that night....lol

RDBG

I've taken to wearing hi vis coveralls when I load and unload even if they aren't required just to save clothes from my chains

Ranger_375

I have a pink helmet on the truck. It's the spare for when the wife and kid ride primarily, and for any coworkers that may need to team and don't bring their own...

THBatMan8

Thread starter #5
I've taken to wearing hi vis coveralls when I load and unload even if they aren't required just to save clothes from my chains
Me too. Hi visibility shirts

ok, so me and the guy showing me the job, pull into the Shell/Motiva yard. i needed a hard hat before i drove onto the racks.

so me and my "trainer" go into the office, i show my TWIC card, (he was on file) and i was given a hard hat....

a PINK ONE........!!!!

my boss was very apologetic.....but that didn't help my manhood, that night....lol
A real man wears pink.

dchawk81

a PINK ONE........!!!!

Just tell everybody it was for breast awareness.

Skateboard puller

I have all that junk but only wear it when I'm forced to.

What gets my grits is when the sign at the gate says turn to channel 28 and proceed to the guard shack when directed. Then when it's your turn per CB, some idiot in shorts and flip flops and no CB pulls up and try's to get loaded in front of you.

THBatMan8

Thread starter #10
I have all that junk but only wear it when I'm forced to.

What gets my grits is when the sign at the gate says turn to channel 28 and proceed to the guard shack when directed. Then when it's your turn per CB, some idiot in shorts and flip flops and no CB pulls up and try's to get loaded in front of you.
God, i hate that too.

Had that happen to me a few times, and each time i wanted to throat punch a mofo.

Did a pick up last week in Topeka, Kansas. Shipper shared a scale with local grain haulers. Only one road led to and from the scale, and grain haulers came in from the opposite direction. I was talking to a grain hauler on the cb and waited for him to cross the scale before i went. Idiot wheelholder with flip flops and no cb drove around me and created a bottleneck at the scale. Both the grain hauler and i wanted to throat punch this idiot. Customer ended up kicking him off the yard.

God, i hate that too.

Had that happen to me a few times, and each time i wanted to throat punch a mofo.

Did a pick up last week in Topeka, Kansas. Shipper shared a scale with local grain haulers. Only one road led to and from the scale, and grain haulers came in from the opposite direction. I was talking to a grain hauler on the cb and waited for him to cross the scale before i went. Idiot wheelholder with flip flops and no cb drove around me and created a bottleneck at the scale. Both the grain hauler and i wanted to throat punch this idiot. Customer ended up kicking him off the yard.
I had to split weigh on a beam scale couple days ago. At a jobsite. Guy in a tanker behind me waiting on me. A quick " sorry for taking so long" got a "no problem driver"
I can't stand wheelholders with no CBs on jobsites. All they do is add confusion.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
A couple weekends ago I was helping the warehouse boss hang a set of coat hooks. So I ask what are the coat hooks for?
He says we are going to have safety vests for the truck drivers to wear if they need to be on the dock.

Point blank I said if you think I am wearing a ****ing safety vest you have got another thing coming!!!!
(our former safety girl tried that one too and it was not happening.)
He said no it is not for you guys it is for outside carriers.
Well, Alright then!:thumbsup:

Ranger_375

Honestly, I typically put on my hi-vis stuff no matter if it's required. I don't trust other people to pay attention to what they're doing.

dchawk81

Honestly, I typically put on my hi-vis stuff no matter if it's required. I don't trust other people to pay attention to what they're doing.
Thump. What's was that? Ranger. I was distracted by his glare.

THBatMan8

Thread starter #17
Another factor of being prepared is keeping your food supply fully stocked. I restock every week in case i get stuck out on the highway or a customer for a day.

20180312_222713.jpg

quillcom

told me they had to kick numerous drivers off the property
Just yesterday I was at a Foreign Trade plant with security type signs everywhere.
One sign says....

If you are caught vandalizing or stealing at this plant.... Blah blah blah (I did not bother reading the rest of it)

This being my first time at one of these places I walk in sign in, got on my safety glasses and vest I figured I was all good.

I was let in the gate to open up the trailer had the guy sign the bol and waited to unload the two skids.

Forklift guy drives up to me and ask how I got in the gate. Saying I could get in trouble for being here. So the two guys just look at me with disdain ( including the guy that let me in) until I walk out side of the gate.

I look at the guy that let me in and gave him a "really" look.

Last edited:

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
Another factor of being prepared is keeping your food supply fully stocked. I restock every week in case i get stuck out on the highway or a customer for a day.

View attachment 43783
I Learned that one the hard way!
I ran out of hours at a customer that allowed parking. It is really hard to sleep when you are starving.:(