Ketogenic Diet Beginning the Keto Diet tomorrow.

Mike

Staff member
I have researched it, at one point was even following it, but that was quite a while back. I was losing weight and feeling much better, but life sort of threw me off track.

I keep making quiet attempts to start back up, but never fully commit to it. Tomorrow, that changes.

On occasion, I will drink a beer or 3 (it will have to be the wimpy Michelob ultra), or maybe some wine, but this won't be a regular thing, and it won't be until I have gotten accustomed to the way of eating and know for sure that I have been in Ketosis for a while.

I'm just at the point where I feel I have to take it seriously, and maybe having a thread to publicly track it will help to stay on course. Might even help others at some point that are thinking about it as long as I get good results.

Ultimately, I plan on converting simply to a real food diet, though I may end up staying with Keto. Just kind of depends on my mentality when the time comes, but that will be a while.

I'm 49 years old, turning 50 in just over 3 months. I'm long overdue to start taking health seriously.

Currently at 220 pounds. My plan is to stick with Keto at least until I reach 160. From there, I will decide if I want to lose more or not. I entered the Marine Corps under 130, left at 165. I figure my target should be somewhere between those two numbers.

I will be focusing on real foods, doing this as clean as possible, and would ultimately like to remove all grains and processed sugars from my diet. Removing grains has been a miserable failure up to this point.

Anyhow, I will update this thread, feel free to follow along if you like.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
If you're going keto, that means you're giving up grains, sugars and processed foods. Going cold turkey on sugar is a lot harder than it might seem.

Mike

Staff member
If you're going keto, that means you're giving up grains, sugars and processed foods. Going cold turkey on sugar is a lot harder than it might seem.
To be clear, it simply means going high fat and low carb.

But, yeah. A "clean" keto, or nutritional keto throws those items out the window. Sugar is no big deal for me, other than all stuff my kids like to bake. Grains is the tough one for me. I love italian food, and I am not interested in most of the alternative ways to make pasta. There are a couple I like, but that's it.

And beer. I'm not quitting that, but I do know it will be on less occasions, and it will be the ultra low carb stuff. I figure on the days that I do bump out of ketosis, I'm gonna go all out, LOL.

Mike

Staff member
My medical team has expressly advised against anything like the keto diet

But definitely to cut back on carb intake.o_O
Many doctors will advise against it, but I don't put too much stock into it. It typically boils down to which doctors you are talking to. A functional medicine doctor would likely encourage you to do it while monitoring you due to any medication you might already be taking.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
To be clear, it simply means going high fat and low carb.

But, yeah. A "clean" keto, or nutritional keto throws those items out the window. Sugar is no big deal for me, other than all stuff my kids like to bake. Grains is the tough one for me. I love italian food, and I am not interested in most of the alternative ways to make pasta. There are a couple I like, but that's it.

And beer. I'm not quitting that, but I do know it will be on less occasions, and it will be the ultra low carb stuff. I figure on the days that I do bump out of ketosis, I'm gonna go all out, LOL.
If you don't cut out the processed carbs, you won't lose weight.

Mike

Staff member
Not drinking beer you won't, or eating pasta.
True. I have to avoid the pasta, and beer will have to be an occasional thing. By occasional, I mean more like monthly. Just stating that I have no intentions of giving it up completely. Pasta, on the other hand, is going to have to become a thing of the past other than a very occasional treat.

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
True. I have to avoid the pasta, and beer will have to be an occasional thing. By occasional, I mean more like monthly. Just stating that I have no intentions of giving it up completely. Pasta, on the other hand, is going to have to become a thing of the past other than a very occasional treat.
this ain't no keto diet, but i had purchased several "Marie Callendar" frozen meals, and they are darned good. also they are smaller portions than what i'd have normally eaten.

i have "learned" to eat less, and all the foods i want, and don;t feel hungry after or wanting more. i also include a fruit, either an apple, pear, or banana as "in between meal snack", or even "wheat thins" crackers.

i was at about 186 and am down to 182, when i started this new eating habit, back in late July.

i think some of these "fad diets" can be more harm than good.

smaller portions and healthy snacks over high calorie foods and junk snacks are working for me.

Mike

Staff member
Going out with a bang tonight though. 1/2 pound Carl's Junior burger, fries, Dr. Pepper and beer for the Sunday night game. :)

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Best advice: get a carb counter app, and log your meals. I always underestimating carb intake.

Mike

Staff member
Best advice: get a carb counter app, and log your meals. I always underestimating carb intake.
I will have to track it. My problem is every attempt at this, I am at near zero carbs and also too low on protein. I find myself for a couple days basically doing a bulletproof coffee fast because I don't consume much more than that and I'm not hungry. 3 or so days in, and I am eating everything but the kitchen sink.

This time, I will be bringing along more veggies, and more meat thanks to having a grill where I can prepare plenty of it before leaving out.

The increase fat fills me, and keeps me full in the beginning, I just have to make sure I am eating and getting a decent amount of protein and a few carbs as well.

Mike

Staff member
My GP, cardiology team and dietician team I think area bit more reasonable to listen to.
Fair enough, but I can tell you that people with the same titles that are open to functional medicine, and not pills and surgeries would likely take another route.

Getting away from carbs and moving to a real food diet can do things many doctors never thought possible, and at this point, things that many don't want to admit to.

To get away from carbs, though, you have to replace it with some kind of fuel, and the only alternative to carbs is fat.

Mike

Staff member
Well... my GP is fine with it, blood work is good, and it gives me the best blood sugar control I've ever had.
Yep, and for every doctor like that, there are 50 that want to keep you on 3 types of diabetic medication to mask the problem.