Been waiting for 5 days for a trainer at Roehl

Spartan718

Really frustrated by this never ending delay. Apparently they have a shortage of trainers, but I don't understand why, every Tue they have guys that need trainers it is not a surprise. I thought I would have been out of here at least 4 days ago. I am now getting homesick because of it, I have been okay until I was told yet another day at this hotel. I really want to get on the road so I am making progress toward getting a truck and getting home for a few days. A big part of the reason I chose Roehl was for their HomeTime Fleets and the fact that they are supposed to be different and put the driver first. Having such a delay in my OTR training really is not convincing me that they are different than the other "Mega Carriers."

Whirlwind

Hard to Handle
Consider this part of your training- waiting. If you make trucking your career, you will wait a lot. Learn to roll with the flow, and you will be much happier in the long run. Don't get all worked up anytime you are held up at a shipper/receiver, stuck on the side of the road with a blown out brake chamber waiting for the service truck, held up in traffic behind a nasty accident, etc, etc. Instead take that time to chill out and relax, so when the waiting is done, your are refreshed and ready to go. Or you can get mad, raise your blood pressure, waste time whining, and generally wear yourself out all over stuff you can't change.

Spartan718

I know I am generally a patient guy, just flustered sitting here in "scenic" Gary,IN. Nothing to do here but hang out at the hotel. 2 weeks here in Gary is is 13 days and 23 1/2hrs to long.

Whirlwind

Hard to Handle
I know I am generally a patient guy, just flustered sitting here in "scenic" Gary,IN. Nothing to do here but hang out at the hotel. 2 weeks here in Gary is is 13 days and 23 1/2hrs to long.
I hear ya, man. I hate Gary. Why won't they send you home to wait?

Tazz

Infidel
This to shall pass. But I would ask them for a realistic time frame for your trainer and if it is going to be awhile I would head home and have them call me when they were ready.

GAnthony

The Eldest Member
Supporter
oh well, to be in Gary, IN..... which was at one time, a near competitor to Washington,DC, in being "murder capital of the U.S."...( http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1994-01-03/news/9401030009_1_murder-rate-killings-unemployment-rate) , gives you something to tell your grand-kids some day...

that is....

if you SURVIVE Gary, IN.....

at least, your out of Joisey......

Spartan718

I am proud to be from Jersey and I am leaving tomorrow so as long as I don't get whacked tonight I should be fine

Mike

Staff member
Sucks to have to wait like that, but not much that can be done when no trainers are available.

Racer X 69

I feel for you, sitting in a motel room days on end sucks. But it sure beats sitting in the sleeper waiting for the next load.

And I can relate to your frustration. I spent a week waiting for the truck to get "fixed" a few weeks back, and now I am sitting in a motel room on the outskirts of Detroilet (such a nice place it is, yeah, right) waiting on Monday so I can cross the border and wait some more.

So if Roehl is such a great company how come they have a fresh crop of n00bs every Tuesday?

I know, every company has turnover, and I am not trying to speak poorly about your new employer, but it would seem that some have considerably more turnover than others. Swift and Werner, for example.

This steady flow of new drivers processing through orientation each week, and "training", is an indicator of a trade that has serious problems.

I wish you the best of luck in your new job, may you have many safe and profitable miles, and may you always be the driver just ahead of or just behind the one that the Revenue Rangers stop to give grief to.

Oh, and Whirly Girl has some great stuff to say there. Patience is a virtue.

Be virtuous!