bee keeping

gearjammer

jammer
Staff member
Supporter
well I got educated a bit the other day, everyone in beekeeping says do NOT mess with the bees at night, well I have been a bit late on feeding the ladies lately and thought since I have a hivetop feeder I wouldn't actually be messing with them so I took the lid and inner cover off, and started to fill the feeder, the bees took GREAT offense at that, it didn't take 30 seconds and they were all over me a dozen and a half stings later I was running up the driveway with them on my ass threw the equipment on the ground and got the hose going figuring that would chase them away but didn't faze em they followed me al the way to the house, we chased 7 of them out the next morning,
the aftermath was being swollen up for the most part of 3 days and an hour of my wife looking for and scraping the stingers out of me.
learned 2 things that night, I don't have a major allergy to bees and DON'T MESS WITHTHE BEES AT NIGHT!!!!!!!!!

gearjammer

jammer
Staff member
Supporter
went thru the hives today and all I can say is WOW, it's been about three weeks since I did a thorough inspection and the bees have been busy as bees, in that three weeks they have filled up and capped a honey super and the queens are laying like mad,
I threw another honey super on both hives and if they can fill it up before cold weather I might actually get a frame or two of honey for myself, wasn't counting on it this year but would be nice.

GAnthony

The Eldest Member
Supporter
well I got educated a bit the other day, everyone in beekeeping says do NOT mess with the bees at night, well I have been a bit late on feeding the ladies lately and thought since I have a hivetop feeder I wouldn't actually be messing with them so I took the lid and inner cover off, and started to fill the feeder, the bees took GREAT offense at that, it didn't take 30 seconds and they were all over me a dozen and a half stings later I was running up the driveway with them on my ass threw the equipment on the ground and got the hose going figuring that would chase them away but didn't faze em they followed me al the way to the house, we chased 7 of them out the next morning,
the aftermath was being swollen up for the most part of 3 days and an hour of my wife looking for and scraping the stingers out of me.
learned 2 things that night, I don't have a major allergy to bees and DON'T MESS WITHTHE BEES AT NIGHT!!!!!!!!!
well of course you silly, EVERYONE in bee keeping knows, the main reason you DO NOT MESS with bee's at night is, they are all gathered around thier tiny little tv, watching Blue Bloods...

you MESSED with thier tv show...!!!!!!!!

you're lucky they didn't sting you in yer pecker.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
went thru the hives today and all I can say is WOW, it's been about three weeks since I did a thorough inspection and the bees have been busy as bees, in that three weeks they have filled up and capped a honey super and the queens are laying like mad,
NICE!:thumbsup:
Nothing like honey right from the comb.

And also I think one of YOUR bees was trying to sting me yesterday!:D

GAnthony

The Eldest Member
Supporter
if it was one of my darlings trust me they would have nailed your ass, the little *****es are pretty touchy lately, lol
yeah, it's that time of the year, and in some areas past, that they get ornery as thier life is coming to an end.

i have something like 5 yellow jacket/wasps traps outside, and i have had to empty 2 of them out and recharge them.

(((ME)))

On my trip this past summer I wondered into texas...decided to stop in see a friend who lived out in the country quite a ways from the city. Was seating on the porch talking and got nailed by a bee....on my arm just above my elbow...it swelled up quickly. I went to my car got a pair of twizers pulled the stinger out then used tooth paste on the swelling area. Was several days getting over it. Later was told I got stung because of the perfume I was wearing.

gearjammer

jammer
Staff member
Supporter
On my trip this past summer I wondered into texas...decided to stop in see a friend who lived out in the country quite a ways from the city. Was seating on the porch talking and got nailed by a bee....on my arm just above my elbow...it swelled up quickly. I went to my car got a pair of twizers pulled the stinger out then used tooth paste on the swelling area. Was several days getting over it. Later was told I got stung because of the perfume I was wearing.
try not to use the tweezers but instead scrape the stinger out with a fingernail. credit card,knife ect otherwise you will squeeze the venom sac and even more of the venom into yourself.

(((ME)))

try not to use the tweezers but instead scrape the stinger out with a fingernail. credit card,knife ect otherwise you will squeeze the venom sac and even more of the venom into yourself.
I keep this in mind but hope my encounters with bees is over.

gearjammer

jammer
Staff member
Supporter
it really is a rare event and it is possible a fragrance can be a factor
now if you were talking about africanized bees that is a whole new animal, but it probably wasn't since you only got one sting.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
it really is a rare event and it is possible a fragrance can be a factor
now if you were talking about africanized bees that is a whole new animal, but it probably wasn't since you only got one sting.
I got stung twice last year. They say the humidity that late in the season had the bees agitated.
Neither were honey bees because they didn't leave a stinger. I was thankful for that because getting the stinger out would be another pain in the ass.

gearjammer

jammer
Staff member
Supporter
the ladies are busy putting in stores for the winter and I have noticed that they are getting a bit testy.
in the spring I just wore a veil and light colored clothing shorts were fine and didn't need gloves
now I wear a bee jacket long pants and gloves because they are wanting to defend their hard won supplies

gearjammer

jammer
Staff member
Supporter
just an update since I didn't say anything when I put them to bed for the winter.
the hives are going into winter really strong, I put 18 lb candy boards in each hive to help them along last week it got up to 60 around here and the bees were flying like crazy so I took a peek inside the all look healthy and happy other than I tried to remove a couple of pollen patties and learned in winter don't even think about messing with their food,lol

the bee club I belong to is so big and for me so far away that a few of us decided to form a new one for our county and some of the fringes of the surrounding counties, even though the forcast was for freezing rain this afternoon I was amazed at the interest, we were hoping 50 people would show up for the first meeting there had to be more than three times that many so we can see this is going to take off and be a pretty large club with a lot of active members.

gearjammer

jammer
Staff member
Supporter
around here they usually produce enough heat themselves as long as the colony is strong, bees are pretty self sufficient their biggest problems are humans.
the pesticides are a real problem, most diseases are caused because man has modified our environment, we also import problems from other countries colony collapse distorter is thought to be a combination of things radio waves are thought to be a huge factor.
what a lot of people don't understand is that without bees a huge part of our food supply would simply cease to exist

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
around here they usually produce enough heat themselves as long as the colony is strong, bees are pretty self sufficient their biggest problems are humans.
the pesticides are a real problem, most diseases are caused because man has modified our environment, we also import problems from other countries colony collapse distorter is thought to be a combination of things radio waves are thought to be a huge factor.
what a lot of people don't understand is that without bees a huge part of our food supply would simply cease to exist
The problem is people don't think we need to take care of the environment. If the eco system crashes, so do we.

Latest posts