bee keeping

gearjammer

jammer
Staff member
Supporter
Thread starter #41
I’ll have to check what edition but I ordered the dummy book from the library. Those dummy books are usually pretty good. I’ve used them a lot over the years.
I bought it for my wife to get her interested but am finding it my go to book for quick information when I need to, I also bough a disc on e-bay that has all kinds of information on it a well worth 5 bucks spent.

Silverwolf

oh ok,,,yes, very good system.

but, this would be (i would think) a stand alone hive in addition to say a traditional hive(s) that bee keepers actually take the wax for candles, gum etc,etc.

i can see too, that there is a measure of safety to the beekeeper(s) from not getting stung, by opening a traditional hive.
I would say yes for the stand alone. Its probably 200 more per unit to buy, so a big expense if your in business. The colony itself would be the same as a regular hive as far as production and colony size.

dave350

Last night I unveiled the project to the wife. Got no reaction. So I followed with “no, no good?”

She said she’s allergic to bee stings. I said.....what??

She. “Don’t you remember when I got stung by the honey bee out in the yard and my foot swelled up??”

Now, the answer is no, I didn’t remember but I know better than to say that so....

Me. “Yeah but it’s not like your whole body swelled up”

She. :mad:

Us. Silence.

I’m still going to read the books. There’s things about this venture I like that aren’t bee related so I’m going to keep moving forward for now anyway.

Silverwolf

Last night I unveiled the project to the wife. Got no reaction. So I followed with “no, no good?”

She. “Don’t you remember when I got stung by the honey bee out in the yard and my foot swelled up??”

Now, the answer is no, I didn’t remember but I know better than to say that so....

Us. Silence.

I’m still going to read the books. There’s things about this venture I like that aren’t bee related so I’m going to keep moving forward for now anyway.
Maybe explain the facts to her, like these aren't wasps, they are bees. They don't sting like wasps. They prefer to bite, which causes no reaction, and they do so since they die after one sting. A lot of bee keepers are allergic, me included. One sting I have 15min to get the antidote or I stop breathing. I let the bees run all over me. They do not sting, unless you provoke it, like trying to kill some of them. Your wife has nothing to worry about, and an epi pen is cheap and handy to have around.

GAnthony

Supporter

Us. Silence.

maybe you can get hypoallergenic bee's..????

lol

really sucks that you may not be able to have your hive(s). the bee's will swarm, and if one bee made her swell up, more bee stings, like in an attack, for what might be no reason at all, might kill her.

if you still convince her to go along with the hive(s), then she will need an Epipen.

good luck.

Rigjockey

Long time running, well worth the wait!
Supporter
If you are providing accommodations for bees. Like a bee hotel. Do you have to knock before opening the hive and announce yourself as Bee-keeping. Like House keeping?

GAnthony

Supporter
If you are providing accommodations for bees. Like a bee hotel. Do you have to knock before opening the hive and announce yourself as Bee-keeping. Like House keeping?
not if it's the cops or FBI or ICE..they just bust down the door.

gearjammer

jammer
Staff member
Supporter
Thread starter #52
well a bit of a setback,
last Thursday I went to my beekeeping meeting and talked to the guy that I was going to get my nucs from and he informed me that his bees didn't fair too well over the winter and he had to rebuild his colony's due to his losses and wouldn't be able to sell any, damn was I bummed.
it is a bit late to try to order from any other beekeepers so I started scrambling for other ways to get a few hives going one of which was to finish out my bait boxes, I put the frames in them and set a few out in my trees and in my neighbors which were baited, the rest I didn't have time to set out yet and have four of them sitting on a bench on the porch unbaited yet was eating lunch on the porch today and noticed some bees checking out my bait boxes I quickly baited them and have hopes that I might get a swarm or three I plan on setting three more out in the next few days and leave one on the porch which doesn't make my wife all that happy but oh well.
I do have a possible line on another guy an Amish beekeeper that is planning on selling some nucs gonna talk too him this afternoon and see if he has any left.
also have plans on a doing a few cutouts and get some colonies that way.
if this work out I will save money by not having to buy any bees, and if I get some cutouts I will get the benefit of not only free bees but being feral bees they would be proven,strong bees and will get their stores to wire to some frames and with any luck will do very well

GAnthony

Supporter
well a bit of a setback,
last Thursday I went to my beekeeping meeting and talked to the guy that I was going to get my nucs from and he informed me that his bees didn't fair too well over the winter and he had to rebuild his colony's due to his losses and wouldn't be able to sell any, damn was I bummed.
it is a bit late to try to order from any other beekeepers so I started scrambling for other ways to get a few hives going one of which was to finish out my bait boxes, I put the frames in them and set a few out in my trees and in my neighbors which were baited, the rest I didn't have time to set out yet and have four of them sitting on a bench on the porch unbaited yet was eating lunch on the porch today and noticed some bees checking out my bait boxes I quickly baited them and have hopes that I might get a swarm or three I plan on setting three more out in the next few days and leave one on the porch which doesn't make my wife all that happy but oh well.
I do have a possible line on another guy an Amish beekeeper that is planning on selling some nucs gonna talk too him this afternoon and see if he has any left.
also have plans on a doing a few cutouts and get some colonies that way.
if this work out I will save money by not having to buy any bees, and if I get some cutouts I will get the benefit of not only free bees but being feral bees they would be proven,strong bees and will get their stores to wire to some frames and with any luck will do very well
of the few questions i did ask, i never asked, how does one winter over a hive?

does it get covered, do you provide a portable heater? do you move the hives into (say) a storage shed?

the bee's in of themselves, i thought died off when the colder weather hits.

Agent_Z

You can purchase hive warmers for winter. We don't deal with this problem in Texas much, but you do have solutions. If you're tech savvy, you could make these yourself with a little ingenuity. You'll find the same product all over Ebay, Amazon, etc. I wouldn't know a reputable dealer for hive warmers.

http://www.warmbees.com/

Last edited:

Silverwolf

Here in BC I see the boxes wrapped in tarps and that's it. We get as low as -10 here were I live in the lower Mainland of Vancouver. So they are pretty hardy, but I believe any colder and they die off. If you have land for Bees, you probably have a barn. They don't bother animals much when theyre snoozing.

GAnthony

Supporter
You can purchase hive warmers for winter. We don't deal with this problem in Texas much, but you do have solutions. If you're tech savvy, you could make these yourself with a little ingenuity. You'll find the same product all over Ebay, Amazon, etc. I wouldn't know a reputable dealer for hive warmers.

http://www.warmbees.com/
Here in BC I see the boxes wrapped in tarps and that's it. We get as low as -10 here were I live in the lower Mainland of Vancouver. So they are pretty hardy, but I believe any colder and they die off. If you have land for Bees, you probably have a barn. They don't bother animals much when theyre snoozing.
well i am not about to be a beekeeper, but i am certainly learning a few new things about them. i didn't know they can live past the first frost. i usually see yellow jackets and wasps fall to the ground and die when it's cold, or sometimes just past september(??), and before the first frost, so i thought bees would do the same.

gearjammer

jammer
Staff member
Supporter
Thread starter #57
most people around here just let them do their thing over the winter as they will take care of themselves, in the winter they cluster together in a ball in the center of the hive, winter losses are mainly from starvation which with a little diligence can be averted and this year dampness caused quite a few losses which also can be averted with a bit of foresight.

I am going to experiment by insulating some hives and see what the difference is and I have hive toppers that are insulated by putting wood shavings in and they also help with humidity control,
time will tell