Truck Repair Battery terminal maintenance

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
1EB46FF4-2B3B-4E87-B27B-8430CB2D93E2.jpeg1D300BF6-64A5-4679-BA63-451A5B76B7A7.jpegC1D8BDF4-1917-46DF-B180-2DD70003EBFB.jpeg
It’s that time of year again.

Although I routinely check batteries, hold downs and cables as part of my maintenance schedule, I usually only pull them apart 2-3 times a year for a good cleaning. And it looks like we’re due/overdue.

How many of you load test your batteries when you have things apart?

Anything else I should be doing, besides cleaning, washing and then spraying with terminal protectant spray?

r3gulator3

FLATBED GANGSTER
Supporter
Repaint that hold down so it don’t rust apart. Personally I would load test and replace anything that isn’t 50% or better. Winter is coming.

And unless you actually monitor your battery electrolytes when you replace them, go maintenance free.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
Repaint that hold down so it don’t rust apart. Personally I would load test and replace anything that isn’t 50% or better. Winter is coming.

And unless you actually monitor your battery electrolytes when you replace them, go maintenance free.
You read my mind on the holddown.

The batteries in the big horse “were” new last fall. They “should” be ok for another winter, we’ll see what the load tester says. The little horse had one replaced 3 years ago, they should both probably be replaced soon

I still haven’t had any luck getting the good Permatex battery protectant spray, I keep meaning to look when I’m in the USA

Mike

Staff member
I don’t load test the batteries. Not a bad idea though. Basically, when I notice the truck turn over a little slower, or the APU starts coming on a little more often, they get replaced. As a matter of fact, that time has come on mine now, probably replace them in the next month or so.

I do clean them a couple times a year, then spray them down with a corrosion protectant.

Most important thing about batteries, is don’t get ripped off buying them. Places like Sams, Battery Outfitters, and others sell batteries under different names that are made by the big battery manufacturers. Price is cheaper, warranty is the same, and the battery is the same, only with a different sticker on the outside.

r3gulator3

FLATBED GANGSTER
Supporter
I will agree to an extent. Say away from anything labeled continental they are junk. I was forced to use them in the school bus fleet I maintained.

Mike

Staff member
I will agree to an extent. Say away from anything labeled continental they are junk. I was forced to use them in the school bus fleet I maintained.
Believe they make their own batteries.

East Penn makes Duracell batteries
Pro Series (battery outfitters) is made by Johnson Controls (who also makes Optima and Duralast)
Everstart - made by Exide or Delphi

Just something to think about before spending. Battery discount stores and places such as Sam's, Walmart, and others, sell batteries under different names, but most are made by quality battery manufacturers and are the exact same battery, only packaged differently.

Mike

Staff member
And since I am bored...

Super Start batteries, sold by O'Reillys are made by East Penn.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter

East Penn makes Duracell batteries
Pro Series (battery outfitters) is made by Johnson Controls (who also makes Optima and Duralast)
Everstart - made by Exide or Delphi

Just something to think about before spending. Battery discount stores and places such as Sam's, Walmart, and others, sell batteries under different names, but most are made by quality battery manufacturers and are the exact same battery, only packaged differently.
You have to watch the quality level though. I believe, that like tires, battery companies have first line and second line quality levels

I could be wrong, but yes I agree that there are only 2-3 battery makers for North America markets

r3gulator3

FLATBED GANGSTER
Supporter
They do, and they do a half ass job of recycling the cores. Instead of melting the led and completely remanufacturing the battery they strip the top wash the plates put in new electrolyte and seal the top back on. I spent hours on the phone with their rep one day. Started buying batteries from the local international dealer they sold em to me at 5$ below the continental price. So I got away with it for about 5 months. Then the rep complained to corporate and guess what batteries I had to go back to?

Mike

Staff member
You have to watch the quality level though. I believe, that like tires, battery companies have first line and second line quality levels

I could be wrong, but yes I agree that there are only 2-3 battery makers for North America markets
From all the checking I have done in the past, the quality level is exactly the same with these batteries.

Mine are "Pro Series" from Battery Outfitters. I only got those because Sams Club didn't have 3 of the battery that I wanted, only two at the time. Two years old now ( maybe older). Last year, they went dead multiple times over the course of a couple months while the mechanic kept leaving things on and letting them die. Never quite had the same starting power after that, but over a year later, they still work pretty well. They get a pretty good workout in my truck as well as I do all my cooking in here and usually leave the fridge stocked and running even when I am out of the truck for multiple days. Never idle the truck, so in the cooler months, the batteries constantly cycle down to the point where the APU fires up to recharge.

Only 3 batteries in my truck, so i went with the 950cca because Detroit recommends 2700 amps to start the engine. I would use the smaller 700's if I had four batteries.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
From all the checking I have done in the past, the quality level is exactly the same with these batteries.

Mine are "Pro Series" from Battery Outfitters. I only got those because Sams Club didn't have 3 of the battery that I wanted, only two at the time. Two years old now ( maybe older). Last year, they went dead multiple times over the course of a couple months while the mechanic kept leaving things on and letting them die. Never quite had the same starting power after that, but over a year later, they still work pretty well. They get a pretty good workout in my truck as well as I do all my cooking in here and usually leave the fridge stocked and running even when I am out of the truck for multiple days. Never idle the truck, so in the cooler months, the batteries constantly cycle down to the point where the APU fires up to recharge.

Only 3 batteries in my truck, so i went with the 950cca because Detroit recommends 2700 amps to start the engine. I would use the smaller 700's if I had four batteries.
Why three batteries?

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
That's the way the truck came. There is room for four in the box, I think, just gotta move the hold down bolts. 3 works fine though, so never modified it.
I’ve debated a battery kill switch, but obviously that’s as far as that thought has gone

Mike

Staff member
You can install one easily, Bullwinkle
I could, but I'm looking at an exit strategy from this truck, and don't want to mess with it.

I also need to lower the APU so the trailer quits damaging it, but don't want to spend the money to do that either (may end up doing it anyway, though).