Truckers Health Are you a lean-thin-and-fit OTR driver?

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
I plan on not eating a bunch of crap at the stops. Researching healthy eating and living while on the road
Easier said than done when your 14 hour click is ticking, and that appointment is coming due... and the truck stop has zero healthy food available. Healthy food is also constrained by your ability to get an 18-wheeler into a parking lot without destroying the greenery, causing general panic among the soccer moms, and not getting a very expensive parking ticket. A lot of times that means shopping at the Walmart... because you can get the truck in there.

Best advice: it's easier to not put on weight in the first place.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
I was exercising 5 days a week and changed my diet to manage my weight and went through a weight loss program with the VA. Even went to counseling as part of a holistic approach to it as well.

The result. Gained 25 pounds, lost 9% bodyfat and gained 10# body mass.

I've got the medical sheets from my cardiac rehab intake and outtake comparison.

Medical doctor and the cardiologist are at a loss. Cardiologist feels it's more stress reaction.

So he's doing what he can to remove some of it.

Mike

Staff member
I was exercising 5 days a week and changed my diet to manage my weight and went through a weight loss program with the VA. Even went to counseling as part of a holistic approach to it as well.

The result. Gained 25 pounds, lost 9% bodyfat and gained 10# body mass.
Not surprising if you weren't exercising regularly before that. Exercising can re-energize muscles pretty quickly and you will gain muscle mass at a faster rate than you are losing body fat, resulting in weight gain. Over time, it will work itself out though.

Never focus on the weight number.

Duck

Custom title
Supporter
Not surprising if you weren't exercising regularly before that. Exercising can re-energize muscles pretty quickly and you will gain muscle mass at a faster rate than you are losing body fat, resulting in weight gain. Over time, it will work itself out though.

Never focus on the weight number.
Yep that happened to me and all I did was buy a couple of 20 lb dumbells and start doing reps.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
4 Minute Fit describes a system developed specifically for truckers by a trucker. The author was an Olympic-class swimmer at Yale, dropped out and ended up driving a truck OTR. He didn't like how he was putting on weight, and developed the system to work within the limitations we face due to our occupation.

4 Minute Fit

Last edited: