Anyone used their truck's air supply for pneumatic tools?

cmwings

I was recently hit by another truck and I was considering to fix the paint. I wanted to use an air sprayer but I was wondering if I used a regulator and filter and hooked it up to my trucks air tank if that would work. I do not really know much about how air sprayers work but I figured our air system was similar enough.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Duck

Kleenex
Supporter
It'll work as well as any air shop type compressor. But for airbrushing most people use a fancier compressor.

Sinister

Supermodel
Staff member
Supporter
We used to use tractor air to inflate tires we had to change when I was doing heavy haul stuff.

Depending on the air governor on the tractor...ours would pop off at 120psi and inflate the tire to the same.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
I don't think I'd risk truck air for a spray gun. I'd go get a compressor designed for the task.

tommyh

sometimes I use my truck air supply.Usually I have to idle up my motor to keep everything going right

Duck

Kleenex
Supporter
I don't think I'd risk truck air for a spray gun. I'd go get a compressor designed for the task.
It's probably better quality air than a typical shop compressor due to the air dryer. Truck air dryers are better than the crap you can get at Menards.

Electric Chicken

Supporter
Seriously though what's the CFM on these trucks? The PSI would be enough but....

I believe you're talking about tank size so you can complete your passes without sputtering out of air in the middle but I'm wondering what volume they push through the hoses as well.

Last edited:

Shreck

We used to use tractor air to inflate tires we had to change when I was doing heavy haul stuff.

Depending on the air governor on the tractor...ours would pop off at 120psi and inflate the tire to the same.
I still carry enough airline to reach the back of a 53 footer for when someone leaves me a present.