anybody else having fuel quality issues?

Mike

Staff member
Probably just the wrong place at the wrong time this winter, but I have never had this much trouble with fuel.

I replaced both of my fuel filters last week while I Nevada. I decided to do this mainly because of time interval for the one filter, and davco was just over half full. Davco got replaced since I was already putting the other one in.

Before making it back to Ohio this past week, I got surprised with an engine light and stop engine light while pulling a hill. For whatever reason, I failed to look at the filter while fueling in Effingham. When the light came on, I checked and the Davco was full, and looked nasty. I replaced it, and on the way back from Ohio, I replaced it again. Stopped and picked up 4 more filters just in case.

Right now, pretty sure I got some trash in the lines. Truck is giving me lights and loss of power on hills. Seems to he getting better though, after giving me fits quite a bit to start the day today, it only briefly had problems a couple times in the last 200 miles.

Watching the filter closely, and draining at every stop. Also dumped in a jug of Lucas at my last fill, as advised by KW in Joplin. Hoping this will clear up over the weekend.

I have had to replace the Davco multiple times this winter. Never had this much trouble with fuel, and this PACCAR engine doesn't tolerate any fuel restriction whatsoever.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Take a really bright light and shine it into your tanks. Are they clean and shiney or blackish?

I had a similar issue in nov-dec 2013.

To finally rid myself of the issue, I had to put:

80 oz bottle of diesel 911,
Two 32 oz bottle clear diesel
Clear-Diesel Fuel & Tank Cleaner | Power Service
And a 16 oz of killem biocide.

Last time I bought filters, I bought 36 because I was using them so quickly.

What led me to do this was I sent in a fuel sample and the result came back as having too much moisture to even test. Caterpillar S.O.S program can test any fluid you send to them. Any cat dealer sells the bottles for it.

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
Nov 2013 I had to drain and clean my tanks. Haven't had fuel problems since.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
I learned its just as common, if not more so, to have issues like this at start of winter as it is in summer.

Dinomite

What is and where is davco. No problems as of yet but watching fuel mileage plument when temp drops below 50 got better once I set cruise to 62.

My old truck had those problems and I heard the other day that air gets in their and causes the fuel rail fault. But keep us updated so I'll know what to do when the dbl 07 machine gets sick.

Mike

Staff member
Take a really bright light and shine it into your tanks. Are they clean and shiney or blackish?
Thought I replied to this today, must have forgot to hit the reply button.

Tanks look good, fuel looks good other than the junk floating around inside. No black coloring at all, which I was concerned about.

I'm down to about 3/8ths in the tanks now. Plan to get loaded tomorrow morning here in Sterling, CO. and see how far I can get into Nebraska before I have to fill up. I want to run these tanks as low as I can, and get as much junk out of the tank and into the filter as possible.

Once I fill up tomorrow, if the situation doesn't clear up fairly quickly, or at least significantly improve, I may have to shut it down to get whatever the problem is fixed. I think it is the fuel though.

Mike

Staff member
Well, I got fed up with this problem.

Outside of one fuel filter getting clogged up, I never had another issue with the collecting junk in the filter. I even pulled the 2nd filter from the side of the engine just to be sure, and it was completely clean, nothing had gotten passed the Davco and into that filter. It was out though, so I stuck in an new one anyway.

I then pulled the Davco filter to check the bowl under the filter for any sign of junk. Clean in there. Stuck in a new filter and decided enough is enough. Wasted money on filters, wasted money on additives.

I was in East Peoria, IL. I called a contact I have at Wisconsin Kenworth, he called the Green Bay shop, and 30 minutes later I called into the company to remove my two preassigned loads and deadheaded to Green Bay.

325 mile deadhead, but totally worth it because it means no wait time to get the truck into the shop. Time is money.

Got here yesterday evening. Hung around for a couple hours and walked back toward the Stadium last night to a motel. Back at the shop today, truck will be done this afternoon.

I have a bad pump. They think it was likely the problem all along, going back to when I sit for days in Birmingham to get my truck fixed....twice....

Previously, I mentioned getting a DEF code. No more lights from this, but there were codes stored in the computer for recent issues with this system. Turns out, the after treatment system wasn't processing the exhaust gasses properly. So, I got a big part replaced for that. Just a matter of time before that would have been a big issue for me. It's a section in the exhaust, can't remember what they called it right now. I will find out.

So, barring Armageddon, I will be out of here in a couple hours, and still headed to the house as planned, only with a different load. A load that weights 1/3 what the other load weighed and pays better.

Side note: I have been to this dealership 3 times now, and only yesterday did I realize it was only a couple blocks or so from Lambeau field. If I ended up staying here tonight as well, I would have went to eat supper at Brett Favre's Steakhouse. I opted for the Stadium View Bar and Grille last night for a burger and fries. Felt really strange being in a bar. The 15 minutes or so I spent there waiting on the food made me feel very uncomfortable. Little voice in my head was telling me I didn't belong there, and I wouldn't have been there had there been any other place to get food other than sports bars. And to think, a little over 4 years ago, I would have probably stayed in there for a few hours and dropped way too much money into the place, LOL.

Sinister

Supermodel
Staff member
Supporter
Side note: I have been to this dealership 3 times now, and only yesterday did I realize it was only a couple blocks or so from Lambeau field. If I ended up staying here tonight as well, I would have went to eat supper at Brett Favre's Steakhouse. I opted for the Stadium View Bar and Grille last night for a burger and fries. Felt really strange being in a bar. The 15 minutes or so I spent there waiting on the food made me feel very uncomfortable. Little voice in my head was telling me I didn't belong there, and I wouldn't have been there had there been any other place to get food other than sports bars. And to think, a little over 4 years ago, I would have probably stayed in there for a few hours and dropped way too much money into the place, LOL.
You could've had ONE beer and assuaged those feelings you know.

Jesus would have been okay with that.

Especially since it's freakin Wisconsin and the number 1 car insurance claim is Car vs. Deer, and the number 2 is OUI.

Plus you're that close to Lambeau...I mean do you HAVE to be such a square?

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
You could've had ONE beer and assuaged those feelings you know.

Jesus would have been okay with that.

Especially since it's freakin Wisconsin and the number 1 car insurance claim is Car vs. Deer, and the number 2 is OUI.

Plus you're that close to Lambeau...I mean do you HAVE to be such a square?

ONE beer is all it takes for a true alcoholic to end up right where he or she worked so hard to get away from.

I had a friend who was sober for 18 years. He let himself get talked into having a beer with his old college buddies. He only had one beer that night. Two months later, he was dead from a car wreck with a blood alcohol content of .32.

it's just not worth it.

Duck

My other car is a POS too
Supporter
I saw my neighbor at the grocery store a few weeks ago.

There was an old granny handing out samples of some kind of steak marinated in burgundy. It was good. I wanted more.

Jim refused to even try it.

He quit drinking like 20 years ago.

Seriously though,... There ain't no alcohol in food cooked with alcohol. The heat evaporates the alcohol leaving just the other ingredients.

:coocoo: