Anti virus/internet

GAnthony

Supporter
Thread starter #41
I know jack **** about this subject, so it seems like a perfect discussion for me to insert myself into.

Took my laptop to a buddy who does IT voodoo type stuff and he cleaned it up and installed SUPERantispyware free and Malware bytes anti malware, also free. Seems to do the trick, just scan the computer every so often.

And you don't even wanna know about the websites I browse......

It's called research people.....grow up.
yes, i too have had the free programs you mentioned. but i have now the paid version of malware bytes. it don't matter where we go on the web. i go to one of my home pages, yahoo, and from there, many times i will click onto a link for a story. that's where some crap happens. you get swamped with malware from the sites, that are hosted by a major site you are visiting. so what i do now, is when i see a story on an off site from yahoo, i just skip that, and type in the headline, and get a safer site to visit.

GAnthony

Supporter
Thread starter #42
Kaspersky Labs... a Russian company, headquartered in Moscow.

Y'all hope that the FSB and GRU don't have a backdoor into your computers through these guys. When Putin pulls their strings, y'all know they'll bend over. They exposed Stuxnet which was a CIA program to interrupt Iran's march to nuclear weapons. Real helpful... and by paying them you're helping Russia undermine our security.

:thumbsup:

Kaspersky Lab (/kæˈspɜːrski/ ; Russian: Лаборатория Касперского, Laboratoriya Kasperskogo) is a Russian multinational cybersecurity and anti-virus provider headquartered in Moscow, Russia

In 2010 Kaspersky Lab worked with Microsoft to counter-act the Stuxnet worm, which had infected 14 industrial locations in Iran using four zero-day vulnerabilities in Microsoft Windows. According to IEEE Spectrum, the circumstances "strongly suggest" the worm was developed by the United States and Israel to damage centrifuges in Iran's nuclear-enrichment program. It was the first discovery of a major government-sponsored cyber-attack.[75][78]

Kaspersky Lab - Wikipedia
i was going to go with kaspersky, then decided against it.

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
Supporter
Kaspersky Labs... a Russian company, headquartered in Moscow.

Y'all hope that the FSB and GRU don't have a backdoor into your computers through these guys. When Putin pulls their strings, y'all know they'll bend over. They exposed Stuxnet which was a CIA program to interrupt Iran's march to nuclear weapons. Real helpful... and by paying them you're helping Russia undermine our security.

:thumbsup:

Kaspersky Lab (/kæˈspɜːrski/ ; Russian: Лаборатория Касперского, Laboratoriya Kasperskogo) is a Russian multinational cybersecurity and anti-virus provider headquartered in Moscow, Russia

In 2010 Kaspersky Lab worked with Microsoft to counter-act the Stuxnet worm, which had infected 14 industrial locations in Iran using four zero-day vulnerabilities in Microsoft Windows. According to IEEE Spectrum, the circumstances "strongly suggest" the worm was developed by the United States and Israel to damage centrifuges in Iran's nuclear-enrichment program. It was the first discovery of a major government-sponsored cyber-attack.[75][78]

Kaspersky Lab - Wikipedia
Funny how you replaced all this:

with a simple "."

And why would one expect a cyber-security company NOT to find malware? If Kaspersky hadn't found it, someone else would have. They're on the forefront of discovering malware, and have found far more than just Stuxnet. They've also helped shut down Russian hacking rings.
Quite frankly, the U.S. tech firms have worked quite willing with our government to spy on citizens (all behind the scenes, of course) and that is more damning than doubt cast upon a company because of its founder's country of origin. If I was dealing in government secrets, the company's origin might be a concern, but I'll take the best protection there is, thank you!

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Funny how you replaced all this:

with a simple "."

And why would one expect a cyber-security company NOT to find malware? If Kaspersky hadn't found it, someone else would have. They're on the forefront of discovering malware, and have found far more than just Stuxnet. They've also helped shut down Russian hacking rings.
Quite frankly, the U.S. tech firms have worked quite willing with our government to spy on citizens (all behind the scenes, of course) and that is more damning than doubt cast upon a company because of its founder's country of origin. If I was dealing in government secrets, the company's origin might be a concern, but I'll take the best protection there is, thank you!
It may be "operated by a holding company in England," but that's also known as the folks who handle the money.

It's still a Russian company, and Putin pulls all the strings and holds all the levers of power in their system.

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
It may be "operated by a holding company in England," but that's also known as the folks who handle the money.

It's still a Russian company, and Putin pulls all the strings and holds all the levers of power in their system.
I buy MP3s from a Russian outfit so that I don't have to pay ridiculous US taxes on them.
:thefinger:

I love Kaspersky and I believe that its the best out there. Just purchase the Kaspersky AV