Another sit down restaurant gone

dchawk81

I spend about $48 every two weeks on groceries at "normal" sources...ie supermarkets.

Compare that to a minimum of $5 a meal (in lucky dreamworld) and you're looking at $210. And you definitely aren't eating on the same level. Realistically it's closer to double that. So uh....$420.

If you consider the refrigerated section of Pilot your source for groceries then yeah it doesn't make sense. But your truck will fit outside of most Walmarts where you can shop civilian prices.

The bottom line is an individual driver preference I guess. I have always sat down in a truck stop to eat 2 meals a day, keep water onboard and a snack that isn't too fattening. I drove a day cab in regional operation and went to motels when needed on a regional NE run. Every night on a layover I walked the parking lot or surrounding areas near the motel and never became out of shape. At almost 70 I still weigh 205 and 6'1" so I didn't get too "sloppy".

dchawk81

Yeah it's whatever you wanna do, but the idea that it doesn't save you any money...well that's debunked.

Sinister

Order of The Gilded Flip Flop
Staff member
Supporter
The bottom line is an individual driver preference I guess. I have always sat down in a truck stop to eat 2 meals a day, keep water onboard and a snack that isn't too fattening. I drove a day cab in regional operation and went to motels when needed on a regional NE run. Every night on a layover I walked the parking lot or surrounding areas near the motel and never became out of shape. At almost 70 I still weigh 205 and 6'1" so I didn't get too "sloppy".

Obviously in a day cab even away from home life is going to be different.

But for someone sleeping in their truck, or maybe even living in it, bringing at least some food along makes sense.

Nothing worse than, “Ill just run in and get this load on quick, then blast out to the truck stop, eat something, grab a shower and get a good nights sleep.” - only to still be sitting at that shipper at 3am, starving and pissed off...

Well...maybe sitting in dead stop traffic while having To make an emergency bathroom visit because of truck stop food is worse...

Carrying food in the truck of some type makes sense more often than not.

dchawk81

The sleeper compartment is your home on the road. To not cook in there is akin to keeping no food in your house and having no stove.

BirchBarlow

I love KW 680s
The sleeper compartment is your home on the road. To not cook in there is akin to keeping no food in your house and having no stove.
I used to use my Jet Boil campstove to boil up ramens and heat up cans of Chilli..

Screw that truckstop coffee I had Tasters Choice ...boil up some water two teaspoons and boom versus 2 bucks a cup now

And when Id get fast food to go Id grab handfulls of sugar packets and napkins to stuff into the bag..

Saved me on sugar, paper towels, and toilet paper

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
I used to use my Jet Boil campstove to boil up ramens and heat up cans of Chilli..

Screw that truckstop coffee I had Tasters Choice ...boil up some water two teaspoons and boom versus 2 bucks a cup now

And when Id get fast food to go Id grab handfulls of sugar packets and napkins to stuff into the bag..

Saved me on sugar, paper towels, and toilet paper
I will tell ya something you may already know. If you go to PFJ or T/A Petro with a Stanley thermos (like the big ones, mostly come in green) and fill it up they only charge you for the price of a large coffee. Of course you can fill a provided cup with cream and sugar.
You get 2 or 3 coffees for the price of one.:thumbsup: Nothing wrong there, coffee used to be free.

RDBG

Used to do this with an electric kettle. I would fill a mug and my thermos. Buy a coffee now and then so I had a way to get rid of the filters without making a mess.
FB_IMG_1535680615082.jpg