Trucking News: American Society of Civil Engineers lobbies for fuel tax increase

Mike

Staff member
In an effort to replenish the coffers of a depleting Highway Trust Fund, the American Society of Civil Engineers has launched a campaign to increase the federal fuel tax, which has not moved in more than 25 years.

The American Society of Civil Engineers has launched a new website called FixTheTrustFund.org. The website is meant to be a tool for both policymakers and the general public to increase support for raising the federal fuel tax.

Currently at 18.4 cents for gasoline and 24.4 cents for diesel, the fuel tax was last increased in 1993. The Highway Trust Fund receive its funding through federal fuel tax revenue. According to the American Society of Civil Engineers, the purchasing power of the fuel tax has decreased by 40%.

Mike

Staff member
“Imagine trying to live off the same salary as you did in 1993,” the American Society of Civil Engineers said in a news release. “It’s time to add 25 cents to the current gas tax, over the next five years.”

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Based off government numbers from 1976 to 2010, when I did this report, the US economy has saved equivalent of 3200 Exxon Valdez tankers of fuel annually.
1.98912e011 gallons
About 7.95648e010 is diesel.

$19,413,811,200 is how much you're talking in diesel alone.

$21,959,884,800 in gasoline.

So reality is about $40 billion lost in tax revenue annually.

Just by increasing vehicle efficiency.

Maybe they need to do some research.

Last edited:

Electric Chicken

Jock
Supporter
I'm guessing they're not going to get much support on this.

"Yes please tax the sh*t out of us even more. Our butts are getting used to what they're already taking. We need PAAAAAIIIIINNNNNNNNNN!"

r3gulator3

Professional mFinG Asshole-ee-0
Supporter
I say when they figure out how to stop allowing the money they already get to be funneled out into the pockets of politicians or to other programs, prove they can use what they get efficiently. Then, I would probably be on board but the reality is they already get a **** ton of money and it’s not managed properly. Same with any taxes that go into government. Funds are so misused that I don’t want to give them 1 extra cent. They should all have to go to money management classes and prove they can manage accounts with tight budgets....much like a lower middle class house hold.

Electric Chicken

Jock
Supporter
I say when they figure out how to stop allowing the money they already get to be funneled out into the pockets of politicians or to other programs, prove they can use what they get efficiently. Then, I would probably be on board but the reality is they already get a **** ton of money and it’s not managed properly. Same with any taxes that go into government. Funds are so misused that I don’t want to give them 1 extra cent. They should all have to go to money management classes and prove they can manage accounts with tight budgets....much like a lower middle class house hold.
Exactly. When I want something I can't afford I borrow the money...err I mean do without...err eat ramen.

r3gulator3

Professional mFinG Asshole-ee-0
Supporter
Exactly. When I want something I can't afford I borrow the money...err I mean do without...err eat ramen.
I’ve spent plenty of months eating PB&J and ramen at points in my life. Paying this bill and that bill this month and the others next month. I don’t buy **** on credit typically. If I can’t figure out how to pay cash for it. I don’t want it.

Electric Chicken

Jock
Supporter
I’ve spent plenty of months eating PB&J and ramen at points in my life. Paying this bill and that bill this month and the others next month. I don’t buy **** on credit typically. If I can’t figure out how to pay cash for it. I don’t want it.
I got sick of driving old crap. Thought I needed new crap. Now I'm back to preferring old crap except better old crap than I could afford before.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
What in the hell are increased fuel taxes going to do exactly? Build more bike trails? Monuments at rest areas?
Maybe use the money where it was intended to go.

There is not a revenue problem. There IS a spending problem!
The USA is broken. They need to actually allocate tolls and fuel tax to fixing the roads and bridges

But, whatever. I only visit there. We got our own problems at home.

Uncle Birchy

Life Coach
In an effort to replenish the coffers of a depleting Highway Trust Fund, the American Society of Civil Engineers has launched a campaign to increase the federal fuel tax, which has not moved in more than 25 years.

The American Society of Civil Engineers has launched a new website called FixTheTrustFund.org. The website is meant to be a tool for both policymakers and the general public to increase support for raising the federal fuel tax.

Currently at 18.4 cents for gasoline and 24.4 cents for diesel, the fuel tax was last increased in 1993. The Highway Trust Fund receive its funding through federal fuel tax revenue. According to the American Society of Civil Engineers, the purchasing power of the fuel tax has decreased by 40%.

Let me ask you this @Mike ..and I understand your perpective as well..

Both "Minnesota" and "Wisconsin" afew elections back "passed" a State Contitutional that all Fuel Tax and Registration Fees be "specifically" allocated to "Roads"..

Why not something on the "Federal Level"..

Would ya mind paying an xtra dime in Fuel Tax ..."if" a Constitutional Ammendment said thats "just" for ROADS

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
What in the hell are increased fuel taxes going to do exactly? Build more bike trails? Monuments at rest areas?
Maybe use the money where it was intended to go.

There is not a revenue problem. There IS a spending problem!
There's a revenue problem alright. The last time the US federal gas tax was raised was in the 1990s. With nearly 30 years of inflation eating into it, that money can't buy nearly what it used to, even with bike trails taken out of it. So we get thin veneers of asphalt covering up broken concrete, instead of replacing the concrete roadway. I've had a disgusted highway engineer tell me that they may as well be throwing that money away when they just patch up a highway in that manner.

Latest posts