Am I the only one?

THBatMan8

Thread starter #1
All i use for gps is google maps (phone app), google earth and a road atlas. Also my memory. For example i can drive between most major cities on the east coast and midwest by memory. I only need 'help' for directions when i get off the highway.

I view truck specific GPS's as a waste of money.

Anyone else share my thoughts?

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
I use Google Maps too for a variety of things, but I still find a truck specific GPS to be extremely useful. I go to a lot of places I've never been to before, so my memory is of no use on those trips.

The "I oughtta be able to take that road" on a non-truck specific app or GPS has often lead folks to being displayed prominently on pages of derision - don't want to end up there.

Plenty of useful apps available on a truck-specific GPS as well... being able to provide an accurate ETA just by a glance at it is only one example of their usefulness.

GAnthony

Supporter
All i use for gps is google maps (phone app), google earth and a road atlas. Also my memory. For example i can drive between most major cities on the east coast and midwest by memory. I only need 'help' for directions when i get off the highway.

I view truck specific GPS's as a waste of money.

Anyone else share my thoughts?
only in the very beginning when i started this current job, did i use my GPS. the darned thing however, would NEVER give me the correct side of the street my stops were on.

now since it's been (go on 8 years), i still take it with me, and mostly use it as a night light in the cab.

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
Supporter
I don't really use the routing much, but especially with the ELD mandate, I use it for ETA to make sure I'm on pace to make my intended destination. That wasn't an issue on paper.

I use Google maps mainly to eyeball the trees along my intended route to a new dealer, plus to check out where to park.

Routing is mostly done in my head, although I'm visual enough that I often have the atlas open to trigger the neurons.

GPS is a handy tool, but I'll never understand those who blindly follow one.

dchawk81

I use GPS instead of the windshield.

RDBG

I've never had a GPS of any kind in a truck but I do a thorough look at the last bits with an atlas and street views if I've never been where I'm going before. Haven't destroyed anything yet

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Staff member
Supporter
I have one, I use it as a tool. I also use an atlas, local directions from the customer and in a pinch google maps. I more often use my truck specific gps to see where there are rest areas and stops along the route I intend to use as well as trucker path, but when you get hung in a back up and start rolling the rand will give me distance to what’s coming up so I can use my time and not over drive my hours. I can’t remember where every stop is, why buy a truck stop book when rand knows where they are.

Mike

Staff member
I like the GPS for the traffic updates. Something happens in front of me, could be an hour in front of me, GPS will list delay, and sometimes find an alternate route.

When this pops up, I will look at google maps and see if it is showing the delay as well.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
I have a weather overlay on mine. I'm interested to see how that works out this winter.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
I traded mine in for a solunar table.

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Staff member
Supporter
Probably going to activate the weather this winter.
What gps are y’all using that does live traffic and weather?