Almost Jackknifed in Minnesota ..Be Careful

Uncle Birchy

Life Coach
Minneapolis 6 am they can Forget It

I'm gonna sit on this shoulder near Owattana with my flashers until either they Salt or it warms up..

About 10 miles back roads were somewhat plowed and afew salters were out..

Here it's solid ICE and where the pavement dips my trailer wheel dipped almost sending me into a jacknife Ended up in both lanes

By the grace Of God I threw it in nuetral and used just my trailer brake to save it but for a few seconds I thought it was gone and anticipating the ditch..

You'd think they'd salt...not in Minnesota might as well be in Missouri or Arkansas cause they're winter clean up efforts are about on par

Last edited:

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
It rained down here before it started snowing....it actually was enough rain against the sleeper to wake me up.

I'm sitting in the Petro in Albert Lea.

Uncle Birchy

Life Coach
It rained down here before it started snowing....it actually was enough rain against the sleeper to wake me up.

I'm sitting in the Petro in Albert Lea.
Crawled up the shoulder sitting on an Off-Ramp shoulder near Owattana...

Saw a plow pass by but I'm gonna take a nap see what daylight brings before I move on ..

A layer of Salt hours ago could have
done alot of good

r3gulator3

IMA KEEP IT REDNECK
Crawled up the shoulder sitting on an Off-Ramp shoulder near Owattana...

Saw a plow pass by but I'm gonna take a nap see what daylight brings before I move on ..

A layer of Salt hours ago could have
done alot of good
But, “it’s not cold enough to use salt” I hate Minnesota. You’d figure a state that has an extra month of winter would know how to make roads passable in the winter.

Uncle Birchy

Life Coach
But, “it’s not cold enough to use salt” I hate Minnesota. You’d figure a state that has an extra month of winter would know how to make roads passable in the winter.
They're parking lots are all packed snow or ice can't even slide tandems...

I'm spoiled Illinois and Wisconsin salt the living crap outta they're roads you'd still be be careful but could safely go 50/55 without sliding instead of nearly jacknifing at 25/30 Mph on sheet ice

r3gulator3

IMA KEEP IT REDNECK
They're parking lots are all packed snow or ice can't even slide tandems...

I'm spoiled Illinois and Wisconsin salt the living crap outta they're roads you'd still be be careful but could safely go 50/55 without sliding instead of nearly jacknifing at 25/30 Mph on sheet ice
Yep, Minnesota is ridiculous. I try to avoid it in the winter because of that.

Uncle Birchy

Life Coach
Yep, Minnesota is ridiculous. I try to avoid it in the winter because of that.
I've been to Minnesota but mostly in nicer weather..

I don't have much Minnesota in Winter experience.....

Gosh even the Upper Peninsula of Michigan does a way better job in much worse than this little storm....

Jigsaw

I think Iowa is worse. Giant patches of ice covering the road even days after it snowed

(((ME)))

Minneapolis 6 am they can Forget It

I'm gonna sit on this shoulder near Owattana with my flashers until either they Salt or it warms up..

About 10 miles back roads were somewhat plowed and afew salters were out..

Here it's solid ICE and where the pavement dips my trailer wheel dipped almost sending me into a jacknife Ended up in both lanes

By the grace Of God I threw it in nuetral and used just my trailer brake to save it but for a few seconds I thought it was gone and anticipating the ditch..

You'd think they'd salt...not in Minnesota might as well be in Missouri or Arkansas cause they're winter clean up efforts are about on par
They don't pay enough for you to end up hurt or worse....imho...roads are closed here when it gets unsuitable for humans in bad weather....been way too many that lost there lives out here....many hot heads lose there heads over this...It better known as brain shut down.....there nothing more important then to be safe, warm, comfortable cause storms come and go and mother nature's fit throwing soon clears up.

Uncle Birchy

Life Coach
I think Iowa is worse. Giant patches of ice covering the road even days after it snowed
Came through Iowa Sunday...seem they just do the lanes and leave the shoulders covered

That said keeping the "Main Lanes" clean Iowa is doing far better than Minesota..

I've been sitting here for 3 hours and look..

15797012544629174566725467153483.jpg

Uncle Birchy

Life Coach
They don't pay enough for you to end up hurt or worse....imho...roads are closed here when it gets unsuitable for humans in bad weather....been way too many that lost there lives out here....many hot heads lose there heads over this...It better known as brain shut down.....there nothing more important then to be safe, warm, comfortable cause storms come and go and mother nature's fit throwing soon clears up.
Don't want it on my record either..

Got enough junk on my DAC whether it be the time I hit a Deer to the supposed "Abandoned" Load where I quit at the yard but allegedly was "Dispatched"

Uncle Birchy

Life Coach
I left albert lea for home yesterday Weds 1/22 at 1PM. Roads were fine. Wet, but fine.
Yeah I got up okay after delivered about 11 then did my 10 at the terminal ..

About 3am picked up at Northfield still wet but good till closer to Albert Lea where stuff started "Re-Freezing" in patches so I pulled off took a nap..

About Daylight heavy fog then about 8/10 miles into Iowa just ICE and probably atleast 4/5 rigs ditched and afew cars spun out in the mix..

I pulled on a shoulder and went back to bed about 10:30 by then the mess was being clean up and salters had been through and the temp ticked just above freezing..

"All" of this could've been PREVENTED had they just scrapped it down yesterday while it was warm and Salted last night

Last edited:

Uncle Birchy

Life Coach
I don’t know that sitting on a shoulder is a great idea either. On an off ramp you. Could get blasted from the rear.

On the on ramp side you could get plowed in.
I shouldve said on ramp I usually park in from the turn and leave my parking lights on cause people entering ain't picked up speed yet and they should see me

Perhaps not the best idea although @Sinister I think that we can both "agree" that's better than the guys who shoulder along the road creating a hazard for all traffic ... especially the morons who merge back in from a dead stop

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
I shouldve said on ramp I usually park in from the turn and leave my parking lights on cause people entering ain't picked up speed yet and they should see me

Perhaps not the best idea although @Sinister I think that we can both "agree" that's better than the guys who shoulder along the road creating a hazard for all traffic ... especially the morons who merge back in from a dead stop
I wouldn't park on any part of a roadway, Beit an on ramp, off ramp or shoulder for liability reasons.

Uncle Birchy

Life Coach
I wouldn't park on any part of a roadway, Beit an on ramp, off ramp or shoulder for liability reasons.
I only roadway shoulder cause I'm dead broke down or that some Time some years ago I made that video about picking up 7/8 gear on good shoulder before trying to merge back into the mainlanes..

And that for educational purposes inlight of a Fatal Crash on 55 south of Joliet in Grundy County caused by a "MORON" who merged dead stop and probably didn't even look and @Duck remembers this too so that's "verification"..

BTW that "MORON" was "Convicted" and did some TIME okay not Hard Time at Statesville Penitentiary but a Year County Jail and he will be asking "Ya want FRIES" with That or scrubbing Toilets as far as "Carrier" opportunity or on Welfare maybe sleeping under an Overpass

Uncle Birchy

Life Coach
I've noticed this time around Iowa is still snowplowing but Skimpy on the SALT..

You'd think tying up half the District State Police with "Over-Time" to block so they can pull half a dozen rigs plus numerous 4-wheeler slide-outs half shut down I-35 a major Cross Country Corridor would Co$t more than SALT .

You'd be "Mistaken" though giving IOWA one up on "Minnesota" no offense @mndriver Iowa still Snow Plows

No "offense" @r3gulator3 either Hawkeye ain't Salting or budget got tight