Algae?

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
Local rad shop quoted me $3-450 each tank to clean them. They said they’d cut the end off, scrub it, clean it and weld it back up :stare1:

That’s a lot of mucking funny for cleaning tanks....

Mike

Staff member
Local rad shop quoted me $3-450 each tank to clean them. They said they’d cut the end off, scrub it, clean it and weld it back up :stare1:

That’s a lot of mucking funny for cleaning tanks....
For algae? Have you cleaned it properly with a biocide yet?

If it’s algae, it’s alive and in more than just your tanks. Need to kill it, and it will go away.

r3gulator3

FLATBED GANGSTER
Supporter

If it’s algae, it’s alive and in more than just your tanks. Need to kill it, and it will go away.
While I agree with you Mike Mike i also recommend cleaning the majority of the source because the fungi will grow up to the top part of the tank where your algae killer ain’t gonna reach. We fought the hell out of this on a SMC car hauler when I worked at Wick’s trucks. After running 4 treats of KILLS algeacide. We finally removed the tanks and had them cleaned. Ran another round of kills after install and it was finally gone.

Also would like to note. Cat engines are bad about leaking oil into the return when cups start to fail. But if I remember right Ontario Outlaw Ontario Outlaw you have a Cummins which has a different fuel system and cup style.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter

I’ve ran two bottles of the Killem biocide through my tanks so far

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
While I agree with you Mike Mike i also recommend cleaning the majority of the source because the fungi will grow up to the top part of the tank where your algae killer ain’t gonna reach. We fought the hell out of this on a SMC car hauler when I worked at Wick’s trucks. After running 4 treats of KILLS algeacide. We finally removed the tanks and had them cleaned. Ran another round of kills after install and it was finally gone.

Also would like to note. Cat engines are bad about leaking oil into the return when cups start to fail. But if I remember right Ontario Outlaw Ontario Outlaw you have a Cummins which has a different fuel system and cup style.
Yup, ISX

D780E5F1-7AF9-44BE-BA67-18524A2FD027.jpeg
That’s the cleanest I’ve seen that in a long time.

Wrecking yard has a couple tanks at $450 each. I might look at one of them and see how clean they are.

I don’t know :dunno:

Donk

My Isx started doing this when i was working it hard just before i traded it off.

consensus was it was pushing soot past the injectors. Dont know how true that diagnosis was, because it became someone elses issue two weeks later

Edit. upon further thought, an ex-cummins mech was the one who said the hold down bolts may have been stretching. YMMV

Last edited:

r3gulator3

FLATBED GANGSTER
Supporter
Ok 🤷🏻‍♀️
It’ll be interesting to compare the fuel I drained yesterday to what I started with in May, as far as clarity goes
That two tone fuel above is a little weird I haven’t ever seen that before, but that fuel looks much cleaner than the pics from a while back.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
37CD1B04-7D4A-4AD7-816F-8916C3EB5ADD.jpeg
Left is 5/20/19, right is 8/22/19.

Big difference. Both were what was drained from the Davco before a filter change

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
929C0FEF-B30F-4BA3-A9E8-A0FC40A383B7.jpeg
I’m still curious where the black chunks are coming from.

And/or if I need to pay attention to that fact

I said awhile ago that I could see some dirt getting up the drain valve and that I should clean/blow out the drain valve to eliminate any road dirt from the mystery. Which I completely forget to do every time

Mike

Staff member
View attachment 51574
I’m still curious where the black chunks are coming from.

And/or if I need to pay attention to that fact

I said awhile ago that I could see some dirt getting up the drain valve and that I should clean/blow out the drain valve to eliminate any road dirt from the mystery. Which I completely forget to do every time
I would consider your fuel source and how well they are filtering the fuel before it enters your tanks.