Algae?

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Supporter
The last fuel sample I sent in didn’t mention creepy crawlies. That’s why I wondered if it was a separate test
No. What’s in the tank is probably a tarnish from it being in the fuel before. It’s just stuck in the aluminum pores. Does your fuel look normal now or is it still green to dark green?

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
No. What’s in the tank is probably a tarnish from it being in the fuel before. It’s just stuck in the aluminum pores. Does your fuel look normal now or is it still green to dark green?
The fuel that I drained yesterday to change the Davco filter is dark green, almost black.

I sent my buddies fuel in, the original picture in this thread, the dark stuff, to get tested. CAT gave it a green light to use.

r3gulator3

Supporter
The fuel that I drained yesterday to change the Davco filter is dark green, almost black.

I sent my buddies fuel in, the original picture in this thread, the dark stuff, to get tested. CAT gave it a green light to use.
That’s wierd. But, there is a lot of stuff they is acceptable that I say isn’t but. 🤷🏻‍♂️ What can ya do. Back in the day they used to put used motor oil in fuel tanks. You do that today it would gum **** up. In the 70s diesels could run fuel that would pass through a 200 micron filter. Today. Say good by to your fuel pump and injectors.

Reactions: nan

nan

Supporter
I'm pretty sure my old IH will run on toothpaste. It started and ran on 4+ year old fuel like it was no big deal. The gauge finally seems to be reading correct levels after several passes of new fuel. Maybe. I think an algae monster got impaled on the float.

r3gulator3

Supporter
I'm pretty sure my old IH will run on toothpaste. It started and ran on 4+ year old fuel like it was no big deal. The gauge finally seems to be reading correct levels after several passes of new fuel. Maybe. I think an algae monster got impaled on the float.
Your biggest concern is the ULSD isn’t going to provide enough lubricity to your fuel pump and injectors. I know one guy who used to put some ATF in his tank at fill ups to help out. Don’t ask me the ratio. No clue. But I believe there is an additive that does that for you also.

nan

Supporter
Your biggest concern is the ULSD isn’t going to provide enough lubricity to your fuel pump and injectors. I know one guy who used to put some ATF in his tank at fill ups to help out. Don’t ask me the ratio. No clue. But I believe there is an additive that does that for you also.
I read up on this and the results are inconclusive, with oil companies saying it's taken care of at the refinery and additive hockers saying it isn't.

So :dunno:

r3gulator3

Supporter
I read up on this and the results are inconclusive, with oil companies saying it's taken care of at the refinery and additive hockers saying it isn't.

So :dunno:
I can tell you that ulsd is not as lubricating for your components as sulfur diesel was back in say the 80s. Putting in some kerosene from time to time wouldn’t hurt. In all honesty though Do what works for you. If you ever need an injection pump rebuild or injectors. Check out a places called diesel specialties. They do GREAT work and it’s reasonably priced.

Reactions: nan

nan

Supporter
I can tell you that ulsd is not as lubricating for your components as sulfur diesel was back in say the 80s. Putting in some kerosene from time to time wouldn’t hurt. In all honesty though Do what works for you. If you ever need an injection pump rebuild or injectors. Check out a places called diesel specialties. They do GREAT work and it’s reasonably priced.
I can get an injection pump for $500 on Rockauto. Installation is just a matter of learning.

r3gulator3

Supporter
I can get an injection pump for $500 on Rockauto. Installation is just a matter of learning.
On that particular engine it’s easier than the manual makes it. There is a way to pull it without removing the gear and needing to retime the engine. However from rockauto your getting a refurbished in a different country pump. Where as diesel specialties is in Omaha And will likely rebuild your pump or send you one that’s done with an expected core return often at a lesser price. And it’s better tuned that the rockauto one. Just food for thought man.

nan

Supporter
On that particular engine it’s easier than the manual makes it. There is a way to pull it without removing the gear and needing to retime the engine. However from rockauto your getting a refurbished in a different country pump. Where as diesel specialties is in Omaha And will likely rebuild your pump or send you one that’s done with an expected core return often at a lesser price. And it’s better tuned that the rockauto one. Just food for thought man.
K.

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
That’s wierd. But, there is a lot of stuff they is acceptable that I say isn’t but. 🤷🏻‍♂️ What can ya do. Back in the day they used to put used motor oil in fuel tanks. You do that today it would gum **** up. In the 70s diesels could run fuel that would pass through a 200 micron filter. Today. Say good by to your fuel pump and injectors.
Remember Cummins' first extended drain interval system? It burned a small amount of oil continuously and had an extra oil reservoir on the back of the cab for make up oil to keep the crank oil level where it belonged.

nan

Supporter
Remember Cummins' first extended drain interval system? It burned a small amount of oil continuously and had an extra oil reservoir on the back of the cab for make up oil to keep the crank oil level where it belonged.
I had a car like that. Except instead of burning it, it dumped it out the rear main seal and the reservoir was a jug in the trunk.

tommyh

I had a old vega once,and it was on it`s last legs,dumped 110 gear oil in it

finished the job nicely

r3gulator3

Supporter
I do actually, my dad drove a truck with one. I never worked on one though.