• This forum is for drivers/carriers to discuss and review freight brokers. This is not a forum for brokers to promote their business or ask for advice on how to start a freight brokering or dispatching business.

Actual miles versus what the broker quoted.

Shreck

Just curious how far off the mileages are nowadays.

Mike

Staff member
Pcmiler I've seen 10-25% error.

HHG is even worse
Sounds about right.

This is something I pay zero attention to, unless I am in a situation where I need to ask the broker. Occasionally, I will ask them how far from a specific city, as I try to already have rates calculated for those.

Shreck

Sounds about right.

This is something I pay zero attention to, unless I am in a situation where I need to ask the broker. Occasionally, I will ask them how far from a specific city, as I try to already have rates calculated for those.
Thanks, I guess it hasn’t changed much. I thought maybe with today’s technology it would be more accurate.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Google maps gets me almost spot on.

Address to address vs zip code to zip code.

That's really where the major differences come in to play.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
The biggest part of this little conundrum are people who enter the world of business trucking still thinking (and whining) like company drivers.

You get paid what you get paid running spot market freight.

Shreck

The biggest part of this little conundrum are people who enter the world of business trucking still thinking (and whining) like company drivers.

You get paid what you get paid running spot market freight.
I had my own trucks for a lot of years,long before I became a company driver. Just was wondering if things had gotten any more accurate?

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
I had my own trucks for a lot of years,long before I became a company driver. Just was wondering if things had gotten any more accurate?
Cents per mile is how we pay employees. Ergo the quibbling over "miles." It's all dependent on the route you take, and Google Maps (while a very handy tool that I use) is not specific to commercial trucks.

You don't pay your rent or fuel bill in cents per mile. It's whole dollars that count... added up over weeks, months. Determining if your income is adequate is beast measured in dollars per day. Don't get me wrong, CPM is a useful yardstick, but we tend to over emphasize it's importance because of the connection we learn as driver employees.

Household Movers Guide miles are still used as a standard of rating trip length simply because of the multiple routings possible. It's a standard, nothing more. Leave the quibbling over "miles" to the seatmeat.

Shreck

Cents per mile is how we pay employees. Ergo the quibbling over "miles." It's all dependent on the route you take, and Google Maps (while a very handy tool that I use) is not specific to commercial trucks.

You don't pay your rent or fuel bill in cents per mile. It's whole dollars that count... added up over weeks, months. Determining if your income is adequate is beast measured in dollars per day. Don't get me wrong, CPM is a useful yardstick, but we tend to over emphasize it's importance because of the connection we learn as driver employees.

Household Movers Guide miles are still used as a standard of rating trip length simply because of the multiple routings possible. It's a standard, nothing more. Leave the quibbling over "miles" to the seatmeat.
And all I asked was how does actual miles compare to what the broker quotes nowadays.Talk about quibbling.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
And all I asked was how does actual miles compare to what the broker quotes nowadays.Talk about quibbling.
Why does it effin' matter? With all the route planning apps you should have, you can have your own estimate instantly.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
ALS CoPilot, transfer Google Maps routing to a GPS to vette it for non-trucking routes, and, of course, crack an RMCA to do it the old skool way.