8-2 split

Roguevan

Thanks in advance for responses. I have a good handle on how the 8-2 split works except for this... Due to the incredibly tight run time on the load I currently have, I need to do a split. Starting my time at 1am. Normally my 14 would be cashed at 3pm. So, since I'm taking a 2 hour break mid-shift, does that extend my day to 5pm? Again, thanks for your help.

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Supporter
Thanks in advance for responses. I have a good handle on how the 8-2 split works except for this... Due to the incredibly tight run time on the load I currently have, I need to do a split. Starting my time at 1am. Normally my 14 would be cashed at 3pm. So, since I'm taking a 2 hour break mid-shift, does that extend my day to 5pm? Again, thanks for your help.
Nope, your 14 hour clock doesn’t stop when you start the split.

Mike

Staff member
Gotta love how little shippers and receivers care about our time. Just lost a load getting me home.
One thing I have learned on electronic logs is to never book loads tightly together. That is, unless I know for sure that a customer won’t be holding me up.

Roguevan

One thing I have learned on electronic logs is to never book loads tightly together. That is, unless I know for sure that a customer won’t be holding me up.
I'm the same way, normally. On paper this should have worked out much differently. But, it is what it is :dunno:

r3gulator3

Supporter
Same here. And I'm wondering how much manipulation will happen on the part of shippers/receivers once changes happen.
Still quiet a lot I imagine. They aren’t making laws for you or your company to hold shippers/receivers accountable. Proposed rumor is that your OFF and SB time will stop your 14 if it’s more than 1 hour.

Roguevan

Still quiet a lot I imagine. They aren’t making laws for you or your company to hold shippers/receivers accountable. Proposed rumor is that your OFF and SB time will stop your 14 if it’s more than 1 hour.
Man, that would be fantastic. I've also heard rumors of lengthening the 14 hour clock to 16 hours, while leaving the drive time at 11. I feel like that would make folks on docks even less likely to care about our time.

r3gulator3

Supporter
No doubt! It is a two stop load though and I am not a fan of multi-stop runs. First stop Buffalo, thankfully very early. Then Cleveland, then home. Circuitous route, but I'll take it.
Fo sho. I’m open deck I really hate multi stop runs because I typically have to untarp half the load, unstrap it. Then restrap and retarp. I don’t mine doing multi stops of equipment. Pull a couple chains unload move on.

Roguevan

So after this ridiculous day I've had I decided to grab a beer. This is the bartender. Hopefully this is ok to post, lemme know if it isn't. I'm new here and I don't want to get in trouble. But I figured folks would enjoy a laugh :)
20190716_141048.jpg