389 Manufacturing Countdown

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
Yeah, I think I knew that.

I've been at this long enough to remember when the cabovers started to disappear. Outfits that were still running cabovers were having a horrible time trying to get and keep drivers because everyone else was switching to FLD's or the WhiteVolvo unicabs (and a few nicer fleets went to Anteaters or Aardvarks, of course.) It was too little, too late by the time the airride cabs for the cabovers started showing up, which at least brought their ride up to bearable standards.
I always forget to take pictures. There’s a flatbed outfit in North Carolina with all old cabovers. It’s neat to roll past there and see the yard

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
Yes.

I have more pride in my bank account than in a rolling brick incapable of breaking 6 mpg. He might have his pride, but I have my money.
I think we’ve had this discussion before

Maybe not strictly speaking the two of us but it’s been argued on here before

I just get tired of wrenching on the ****ing thing ALL the time.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
Wow, When I was in driving school some knob came to talk to us, I think he was from Schneider. He said the future is in cabovers, you won't be seeing conventionals for long!
It was like 2 years and COE's started to disappear. In 24 short years later, they are not even making COEs for the North American market.
Good one smart guy! :clapping:

Last edited:

nan

Supporter
Wow, When I was in driving school some knob came to talk to us, I think he was from Schneider. He said the future is in cabovers, you won't seeing conventionals for long!
It was like 2 years and COE's started to disappear. In 24 short years later, they are not even making COEs for the North American market.
Good one smart guy! :clapping:
When was this?

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
And pride in trucking seems to be for those born in the '70's or earlier...I simply don't see much of it anymore from anyone not showing some gray.
I agree with your point.

However, I do take pride in my ride. I take pride in delivering cargo safely and in the same shape it left in. I have had numerous receivers say they hope to have me deliver the next load and/or praise me for how I presented myself.

We have argued it to death here on this forum but open deck garners more respect from other segments of this industry. Perhaps tanker and agriculture are among those who are better recognized.

I am starting to show some grey but was not born before the ‘70s. Maybe I’m an oddity but I prefer being treated with respect and hence my shying away from the lower hierarchy trucking jobs

Hard to say

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Supporter
I agree with your point.

However, I do take pride in my ride. I take pride in delivering cargo safely and in the same shape it left in. I have had numerous receivers say they hope to have me deliver the next load and/or praise me for how I presented myself.

We have argued it to death here on this forum but open deck garners more respect from other segments of this industry. Perhaps tanker and agriculture are among those who are better recognized.

I am starting to show some grey but was not born before the ‘70s. Maybe I’m an oddity but I prefer being treated with respect and hence my shying away from the lower hierarchy trucking jobs

Hard to say
I have to say, my buddy Steve who was born I. 1992 takes pride in trucking, polishes his wheels, has extra Doo-dads in and on his truck. But guys like him are few and far between. Hard pressed to see anyone under 40 who ain’t dragging a bull wagon that puts pride in their ride.

nan

Supporter
I have to say, my buddy Steve who was born I. 1992 takes pride in trucking, polishes his wheels, has extra Doo-dads in and on his truck. But guys like him are few and far between. Hard pressed to see anyone under 40 who ain’t dragging a bull wagon that puts pride in their ride.
These trucks are bananas to the megas. No point taking pride in something they consider disposable like a razor.

My own truck would be different. Or a company who cares.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
I think part of it is the wagon they dragging.

You seem to take some pride in your ride and also show pride in your work. I think that’s all part of pulling open deck.