389 Manufacturing Countdown

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Supporter
I'm speaking of the traditional cabovers, not some euro model that isn't available over here.
For example, a Pete 359 was more aerodynamic than a Pete 352, even though neither one of them was very aerodynamic.
The argosy is very close to a euro cab over. But the only way to purchase one in the US is as a glider kit and you must order a minimum of 3. That’s why they are only really sold to foreign markets like South Africa and Australia. Freightliner doesn’t want to put in the work to put after treatment systems on them because they don’t think they will sell enough of them. I would love to see Scania break into the US market. I’d get me one with a V-8 STO and put light bars on the bumper and roof.

Hanover Fist

The argosy is very close to a euro cab over. But the only way to purchase one in the US is as a glider kit and you must order a minimum of 3. That’s why they are only really sold to foreign markets like South Africa and Australia. Freightliner doesn’t want to put in the work to put after treatment systems on them because they don’t think they will sell enough of them. I would love to see Scania break into the US market. I’d get me one with a V-8 STO and put light bars on the bumper and roof.
From what I'm hearing, Freightliner is done with glider kits (Paccar has confirmed that they're done as well).
Pete has the 520 (forward COE design) which I believe is a DAF design but those are primarily for refuse trucks. I'm not sure if they would outfit one as a tractor or not, but give me a few minutes and I'll see if that option is available in the configurator.

r3gulator3

Supporter
Sorry but COE's with that big flat front are not aerodynamic and not built for fuel economy. Only reason you are seeing more of them on the road is because they are pre-1999 and owners do not have to run ELD with them.. Everyone has different likes and dislikes and if you loved sitting over top of the steering tire and bouncing up and down all day long, then more power to you.. I rode enough ships in rough waters to know where to be on a moving object to get less movement..
There have been big changes is suspension, frame and seat technologies. But no one ya put effort into that model in well over 20 years so who’s to say we couldn’t have a smooth ride in one today? As for the aerodynamic aspect. Until the triangle seat in middle cockpit designs roll out in production. The cascadia is as fuel efficient as it gets. And to meet the advertised 11mpg your running a tune of 450/1650 and limited to 60mph and that’s also with full fairing kit in truck and trailer to include wheel covers.

All this about fuel mileage and aerodynamics it wouldn't be needed if not for OPEC and their high prices. Remember when fuel prices doubled and tripled almost overnight? Why has it stayed so high? Because OPEC saw huge profits now they are just taking advantage of the whole world basically. I loved my 84' 362 and my 359 I like a nice looking ride those cookie cutter trucks are for guys that don't take pride in it like some of us do I guess.

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
All this about fuel mileage and aerodynamics it wouldn't be needed if not for OPEC and their high prices. Remember when fuel prices doubled and tripled almost overnight? Why has it stayed so high? Because OPEC saw huge profits now they are just taking advantage of the whole world basically. I loved my 84' 362 and my 359 I like a nice looking ride those cookie cutter trucks are for guys that don't take pride in it like some of us do I guess.
One post and it culminates in arrogance.

Swell.

nan

Supporter
There have been big changes is suspension, frame and seat technologies. But no one ya put effort into that model in well over 20 years so who’s to say we couldn’t have a smooth ride in one today? As for the aerodynamic aspect. Until the triangle seat in middle cockpit designs roll out in production. The cascadia is as fuel efficient as it gets. And to meet the advertised 11mpg your running a tune of 450/1650 and limited to 60mph and that’s also with full fairing kit in truck and trailer to include wheel covers.
Run a modern day cab for a while. It's not much different than a COE because you're *almost* right above the front axle.

It sucks big time. A COE is gonna be worse even with the same modern suspension.

Hanover Fist

The fuel mileage stipulations have absolutely nothing to do with OPEC or oil prices. It's all based on lower greenhouse gas emmissions to prop up a politically driven cottage industry...err, I mean to combat "climate change" (that was for you Birch :cheers: ) .

And pride in trucking seems to be for those born in the '70's or earlier...I simply don't see much of it anymore from anyone not showing some gray.

nan

Supporter
What was arrogant about speaking out against the state of the modern trucker?
Was it an overgeneralization? Sure, but I don't think anybody here is so obtuse as to not understand the point being made.
That's not even what was said.

Guy was putting everyone who has an aero truck into the doesn't have pride camp.

The type of truck someone drives or the company they drive for or whether they're independent has NOTHING to do with it.

Hanover Fist

Guy was putting everyone who has an aero truck into the doesn't have pride camp.

The type of truck someone drives or the company they drive for or whether they're independent has NOTHING to do with it.
I see what you're saying. I need more coffee...

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter

Yes.

I have more pride in my bank account than in a rolling brick incapable of breaking 6 mpg. He might have his pride, but I have my money.

vaportrail

Run a modern day cab for a while. It's not much different than a COE because you're *almost* right above the front axle.

It sucks big time. A COE is gonna be worse even with the same modern suspension.
I can agree with that as a guy that for the most part runs 13000 miles a month these truck wreck the body slowly beat ya to death.i dont know if a better seat would help, better shocks, but i would pay alot to get a smoother ride

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™

Back when I started, average pay was in the lower 20's per mile. But there were a few outfits out of the southeast who ran fast Peterbilts, in an era of cutback company trucks. Those outfits paid their drivers in the teens per mile.

That guy probably would chose the large car over a better living. j/s

r3gulator3

Supporter
Back when I started, average pay was in the lower 20's per mile. But there were a few outfits out of the southeast who ran fast Peterbilts, in an era of cutback company trucks. Those outfits paid their drivers in the teens per mile.

That guy probably would chose the large car over a better living. j/s
Just because it’s a peterbilt doesn’t make it fast. Just sayin. That was a tactic back in the day. Oh come drive for us we got fast trucks, more miles = more pay. We pay a little less per mile but make up for it in mile per hour. But, they still only dispatched you on 2700 miles for the week hahaha. There are some companies who still do this.