2018 gardening thread

GAnthony

Supporter
bee's and yellow jackets and wasps...

all of you that have a garden, be it flowers or veggies, are you noticing a higher than "normal" yellow jacket and wasp population this summer.>??

usually, the yellow jackets get active in late July, and get REAL ornery in august as the month progresses.

the wasp population does NOT seem to be more than last year, here for me.

i have a total of 3 yellow jacket traps....only one has captured all of about 6 thus far. i am having yellow jackets flying around my mom's porch, and she did not spill any soft drinks, or food, and there are NO flowers up there either.

i was just outside, in this god forsaken heat wave, waiting for the mailman, and i sprayed no less than 9 yellow jackets. i saw what my mother sprayed on her porch, and no less than 10 dead bodies...

like WTF.....???

i checked my garden for "holes" in the ground (where they hide/nest) and could not see any.....

of course, i only sprayed what yellow jackets i could, that were on or near the flowers, not any on the veggies...

oh yeah, i was smoking a cigar as well...yeah i know...KA -BOOM.......

but NO KA-BOOM..........(today)

GAnthony

Supporter
any of you gardeners collecting rain water for your garden?

are you using a simple 55 gallon barrel, or a bladder in your backyard or under your decks?

i gave that some thought, after all the rains we have been having the past 3-4 days now...

i had a thought, that instead of having an electric pump, maybe use a drip line with a shut off valve...

Last edited:

dave350

any of you gardeners collecting rain water for your garden?

are you using a simple 55 gallon barrel, or a bladder in your backyard or under your decks?

i gave that some thought, after all the rains we have been having the past 3-4 days now...
I don’t. I’ve thought about it but haven’t been serious enough to execute any thing. We’ve had so much rain these past couple of seasons that I don’t worry much about watering.

GAnthony

Supporter
I don’t. I’ve thought about it but haven’t been serious enough to execute any thing. We’ve had so much rain these past couple of seasons that I don’t worry much about watering.
yeah, we had a very (and continuing) heat wave situation here. i do not have as many vegetables as i once did.

the thing here, is that i have to pay a water bill, AND a sewer bill....

the sewer bill was always half the water bill...

but with a new sewer collection system out in about 5 years ago, we are paying double the water bill, and this on top of all federal monies the city got to build it.....

it may not make an over difference in my bills, for the cash outlay of what i need.....might just be an "experimental type thing"...

dave350

One thing I did do when I built the first four beds is took some 4 and 6” pvc that was left on a job or two and made an irrigation system. My original plan was to capture rain water to help keep the pipes full but the more beds I built made the system too small. So I let that go for now.

I’ll try to remember to take pic when I get home.

GAnthony

Supporter
One thing I did do when I built the first four beds is took some 4 and 6” pvc that was left on a job or two and made an irrigation system. My original plan was to capture rain water to help keep the pipes full but the more beds I built made the system too small. So I let that go for now.

I’ll try to remember to take pic when I get home.
my problem would be, from where the rain water would flow into a catch barrel, and get it over to the garden

yes, i can run a hose, the attach that to a drip line, however, it would have to cross the parking area and the sidewalk....not very good.

so in the end, i may have to get a pump, and then just hook up a hose to it as needed.

Blood

Driveler Emeritus
Supporter
my problem would be, from where the rain water would flow into a catch barrel, and get it over to the garden

yes, i can run a hose, the attach that to a drip line, however, it would have to cross the parking area and the sidewalk....not very good.

so in the end, i may have to get a pump, and then just hook up a hose to it as needed.

You can buy a bilge pump (12 volts) for $15 -$20 on Ebay...
irrigation line is around 10 cents per foot as I recall.
Hook up a coupla clips for the pump and run it off your car battery no more than you'd use it.

In case you didn't know,
pond pumps are rated for flow at the outlet,
bilge pumps are rated for flow at 3' of lift..
YUGE difference!!

A bilge pump rated at 200 gph may out-pump a pond pump rated at 1,000 gph.

Bilge pumps are also much more reliable in my experience.

GAnthony

Supporter
You can buy a bilge pump (12 volts) for $15 -$20 on Ebay...
irrigation line is around 10 cents per foot as I recall.
Hook up a coupla clips for the pump and run it off your car battery no more than you'd use it.

In case you didn't know,
pond pumps are rated for flow at the outlet,
bilge pumps are rated for flow at 3' of lift..
YUGE difference!!

A bilge pump rated at 200 gph may out-pump a pond pump rated at 1,000 gph.

Bilge pumps are also much more reliable in my experience.
THANKS...

i was personally thinking maybe a sump pump at first, never gave any others a thought!!

can a bilge pump work on 120 V as well? or is there some sort of transformer i'd need?

i have an outdoor electrical outlet, which is why i ask...

but, i do have a 12 v battery jumper as well......it's old, but it does have the pos/neg cables and a power outlet..

GAnthony

Supporter
I like a good sump pump. :thumbsup:

When you wanna git the job done........sump pump that sob. :biggrin-2:
it was the only pump i had thought about. i watch the tv show, This Old House, and i had seen a few shows where the people live, they have frequent water restrictions or well water. one show, they had a barrel catch for the water, and the homeowner just used the tap to pour water into a garden water can, as it was a porch garden.. the other home owner had a large deck built, and a huge bladder went under the deck, and that one used a pump, just not a sump. i forgot what it was.

never seen a bilge pump for any of these rain water collection ideas...

dave350

I didn’t say there was anything wrong with the bilge pump. A good bilge pump is a useful thing to have handy.

Blood Blood

Sump pumps are great for pumping out your back yard after a pool collapses........err...so I hear.

:biggrin-2:

GAnthony

Supporter
I didn’t say there was anything wrong with the bilge pump. A good bilge pump is a useful thing to have handy.

Blood Blood

Sump pumps are great for pumping out your back yard after a pool collapses........err...so I hear.

:biggrin-2:
people that weigh over 200 lbs, should not belly flop in a portable pool...

in ground, they can all drown for all i care, the fat basterds....

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
I didn't know pepperoncinis did this.. I'm going to see how this tastes. If it's good, I think I'll be pickling red pepperoncinis this year.

20180816_210254.jpg

GAnthony

Supporter
just picked 6 more tomatoes. last year, i had none to speak of...

i think that now makes about 2.5 dozen, that i picked, can't say how many sis picked.

dave350

just picked 6 more tomatoes. last year, i had none to speak of...

i think that now makes about 2.5 dozen, that i picked, can't say how many sis picked.
I’ve been giving some away lately. We can’t keep up.

GAnthony

Supporter
I’ve been giving some away lately. We can’t keep up.
i only have the one plant this year. last year i had about 6, and the weather all but killed any pickings i did. next year, is questionable if i plant any more period, or just a bunch of geraniums and impatiens....

getting kinda tired of spending the money and the weather kills the garden.