2018 gardening thread

tommyh

I stopped on the way home and picked up a bag of earth worm castings. AKA.... expensive dirt. I took a little and put it in a burlap sack, dropped it in a bucket of water and made some compost tea. First time for this. In morning I’m gonna spray my tomatoe plants.

funny you mentioned compost tea
several years ago my sis in law gave us some leftover tomatoe plants.

I set up a spot and planted them.
I made some compost tea and laid it to them.They outgrew my stakes and I had to add onto them.I ended up having to stand on a 5 gal bucket and stretch as high as I could to reach the top.Must have been close to 10 foot.Hadd more plants than tomatoes....I made the tea similier to this video

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
I've been keeping after the tomatoes this year, clipping sucker shoots and nonproductive branches. Last year, the plants got huge and set lots of fruit, but most of them didn't ripen and they were kind of small.

dave350

i harvested some of my garlic last weekend. Some were perfect, some a little early, some a little late.
Should dig the rest this weekend. Good eatin though.

Blood

Driveler Emeritus
Supporter
Damn...

All y'all futhermuckers can KMA!!
:mad:

Oncologist says I need another surgery.
Surgeons say it won't do any good.

I'm letting them fight it out.

Meanwhile,
back at the ranch...

dave350

Damn...

All y'all futhermuckers can KMA!!
:mad:

Oncologist says I need another surgery.
Surgeons say it won't do any good.

I'm letting them fight it out.

Meanwhile,
back at the ranch...

Sorry to hear. Damn.

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
Pulled the two-year garlic today. I started with a handful of bulbils Duck Duck sent me, pulled a few last year and these are the ones I left for the second season. Got plenty of bulbils for next year, too. And the ones I planted last year, the tops look like they're dying back, but they're supposed to do that. They'll be next year's crop.

I'm very happy with the results so far.

20180720_204007.jpg

dave350

The rabbits are eating my 242’s. :(
We have about 4-6 adult rabbits and a couple babies. I’m not sure what to do but this has to stop. I look into repellents but none of them had real good reviews so I’m not wasting my money. I hung some Irish Spring soap bars out around the beds so we’ll see how that works. They also get my low hanging tomatoes. We’ve always had rabbits around but it’s never been this big of a problem.
I tried reasoning with them but that didn’t work so other evening I saw one and I let him have it. :rant:
I’m not certain but I believe he gave me the finger.

The rabbits are eating my 242’s. :(
We have about 4-6 adult rabbits and a couple babies. I’m not sure what to do but this has to stop. I look into repellents but none of them had real good reviews so I’m not wasting my money. I hung some Irish Spring soap bars out around the beds so we’ll see how that works. They also get my low hanging tomatoes. We’ve always had rabbits around but it’s never been this big of a problem.
I tried reasoning with them but that didn’t work so other evening I saw one and I let him have it. :rant:
I’m not certain but I believe he gave me the finger.
93880E1F-ACE5-480A-8F71-497F651D8E6A.jpeg

Maybe it’s time to open up wabbit season....

GAnthony

Supporter
i harvested some of my garlic last weekend. Some were perfect, some a little early, some a little late.
Should dig the rest this weekend. Good eatin though.
some of my garlic stems are all browned out and laying on the ground. some are still slightly green. i may think about harvesting them sometime next week.

tommyh

we picked blueberries till they are running out our ears
I bet we got 10 gals from those 6 bushes.
We`re done,we let a few friends pick the rest and let the birds fight over them

popcorn is doing ok
everything else is so so
nothing to brag about or fuss about

we have rabbits everywhere,but they seem to leave the garden alone so far.Back in the 60`s we set out rabbit boxes and caught the buggers and ate them..we don`t do that anymore.

dave,maybe a trap or two?

dave350

dave,maybe a trap or two?
I thought about it but they look so happy out there playin in the evening that I don’t want break up the family. I don’t wanna take a momma from her baby either. I know. I’m pathetic.

GAnthony

Supporter
I thought about it but they look so happy out there playin in the evening that I don’t want break up the family. I don’t wanna take a momma from her baby either. I know. I’m pathetic.
sure fire way to get rid of wabbits...show them NO MERCY...!!!!

tommyh

That’s cool. Is the bait attached to the line opposite the door? So the rabbit eats the bait and the door slowly drops down?

you just throw some food in the very back of the box and when they go in,they trip the stick in the back and the door closes.No injury to buggsy

carry the little furry friend down the road to the wild and set em free
I love my rabbits so i`m gonna leave mine alone
I`m too softhearted in my older years

we have caught rabbits,squirrels,and possumns in ours but that was many years ago

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
Go to the local Big Box home improvement store and get a few rolls of rabbit wire and build a cage around the whole garden. I don't think rabbits can climb like squirrels, so you probably won't have to put a top on it like I did with my strawberries.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
Come on now, Think of it this way, you get the rabbits and then you get to keep your vegetables and then you get rabbit stew or a nice meat pie.:thumbsup:

GAnthony

Supporter
Go to the local Big Box home improvement store and get a few rolls of rabbit wire and build a cage around the whole garden. I don't think rabbits can climb like squirrels, so you probably won't have to put a top on it like I did with my strawberries.
what if the rabbits have wire cutters, or step ladders? some may even carry survival shovels. ever think about those possibilities,...huh...huh..????

Latest posts