2012 Cascadia gauges go haywire

49players

Thread starter #1
My gauges will be fine for a good long while and then just sweep back and forth. It still runs fine and If I shut truck off and restart it quits. Any ideas?

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
My gauges will be fine for a good long while and then just sweep back and forth. It still runs fine and If I shut truck off and restart it quits. Any ideas?
Sounds like the ignition on gage test is occurring when that happens. You could have a loose ground somewhere, or a wiring fault/broken pin on a computer.

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Staff member
Supporter
Yielded terminals in one of the plugs in the back of the ICU. Caused by vibration over time. Also check the ground studs on the firewall down by the pedals. Very common problem with that vintage. I have repaired this several times.

Third option is one of your wiring harness containing the data link is rubbed through at some point.

And last but certainly not least, and the least common. The Am/FM causing the data link to drop. Simple test is unplug the radio and see if it comes back...this is the rarest of the 4.

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
Supporter
We had this issue with one that ended up being one of the body controllers. It would just do a random power cycle causing the gauges to cycle.

49players

Thread starter #6
That's what it does, just cycles back and forth.

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Staff member
Supporter
The yeilded terminals cause a loss of power, ground and or communication with the ICU. This problem has plagued Cascadia from 07-16 model years.

49players

Thread starter #9
I'm not very sharp on wiring so I dropped it off at Freightliner. Hope this don't hurt to bad.