2010 International dump / DT466 questions/ maintenance

MattyNJ1

Hi folks! Iam a contractor Class A CDL/airbrake holder, and just bought a 2010 International mason dump i plan on using to do a build in upstate NY (northern ADKs). I will be making the trip from NJ approx 500miles each way 8hrs, and pulling a 23' 25,000gvw equipment trailer with skid steer etc.

I made one trip there and back recently with zero issues (other than getting stuck in some steep back roads snow).

My question is, i will be making this trip frequently and iam worried about maintenance on the axles and motor so to avoid any problems. This rig needs to be reliable for this build. Other than standard oil / filter change, what else should i really pay attention to? Axle / gear oils?

My DT466 has about 196k miles, and runs perfect, no drips, no smoke nothing.

Thanks !~

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Staff member
Supporter
Hi folks! Iam a contractor Class A CDL/airbrake holder, and just bought a 2010 International mason dump i plan on using to do a build in upstate NY (northern ADKs). I will be making the trip from NJ approx 500miles each way 8hrs, and pulling a 23' 25,000gvw equipment trailer with skid steer etc.

I made one trip there and back recently with zero issues (other than getting stuck in some steep back roads snow).

My question is, i will be making this trip frequently and iam worried about maintenance on the axles and motor so to avoid any problems. This rig needs to be reliable for this build. Other than standard oil / filter change, what else should i really pay attention to? Axle / gear oils?

My DT466 has about 196k miles, and runs perfect, no drips, no smoke nothing.

Thanks !~
Make sure oils are all topped off, change gear oil every 250k if your mostly Highway. Grease your chassis about every 10k fuel filters I would do with oil change. Air filter annually.

MattyNJ1

Thanks....ive been reading some remarks that this truck/motor isnt meant for long highway trips rather more for stop and go local driving, is that correct about the dt466? seem to handle highway just fine on my 1st trip up the NY state thruway, even climbing those mtn passes pulling 17000 lbs!

r3gulator3

Staff member
Supporter
Just don’t over load it and it will be fine. The DT466 is a decent engine as long as you keep the fuel and oil clean.

They were designed for vocational applications its slightly larger brother the 530 was also designed with dump truck and highway department trucks in mind. They can handle long idle times ect. It is almost the same engine as the Cat C9 and C12. Highway will not be harmful to the engine. However if your truck is geared really low it may be screaming 2300 rpms at freeway speeds.

MattyNJ1

Just don’t over load it and it will be fine. The DT466 is a decent engine as long as you keep the fuel and oil clean.

They were designed for vocational applications its slightly larger brother the 530 was also designed with dump truck and highway department trucks in mind. They can handle long idle times ect. It is almost the same engine as the Cat C9 and C12. Highway will not be harmful to the engine. However if your truck is geared really low it may be screaming 2300 rpms at freeway speeds.
Define overloading LOL? I just had about 4 tons in the back pulling about 25,000lbs for 7 hours 500-mile straight seem to do pretty good... Next trip will be without the trailer anything I should worry about at this mileage level?

r3gulator3

Staff member
Supporter
Don’t exceed GVWR that’s would be over loading.

Do you know how many hours are on it?

MattyNJ1

Nope not sure ... but it runs like a top! No smoke on Startup I've never seen any smoke at all actually... not even a drop of oil underneath the truck no leaks that I can see... Idols perfectly sounds great.

r3gulator3

Staff member
Supporter
9200 hours thoughts?
Whoa! That’s a lot of hours. That’s about the equivalent of having half a million miles on the engine. You treat her good she will last, your biggest headaches will be injectors and the heui system. Eventually you’ll get high blow by from wear. Over haul it. And continue on.

MattyNJ1

Whoa! That’s a lot of hours. That’s about the equivalent of having half a million miles on the engine. You treat her good she will last, your biggest headaches will be injectors and the heui system. Eventually you’ll get high blow by from wear. Over haul it. And continue on.
well that well that didn't make me feel much better about my plate LOL... Funny thing is I wonder if it was overhauled no way of knowing because I swear this truck runs perfectly and as stated I've never even seen so much as an oil leak drip or puff of smoke coming out of this...

MattyNJ1

well that well that didn't make me feel much better about my plate LOL... Funny thing is I wonder if it was overhauled no way of knowing because I swear this truck runs perfectly and as stated I've never even seen so much as an oil leak drip or puff of smoke coming out of this...
,...i think this truck musta been a delivery truck and those are idle hours.....Iam also starting to believe the possibility that maybe it was overhauled already. It stands to reason that a DT466 with 197k/1900hrs would absolutely show signs of being tired and worn out big time! ie: burning oil, smoke, low coolant etc....where as this motor, is clean, and runs perfect. After pulling a machine and materials 7hrs straight up through mountains 500 miles each way, pulling over 10tons, i checked the oil not a drop burned....truck sat on white concrete, after trip, not a spot under the truck, all fluids were fine. I ran the truck mostly 2000rpms /65mph temp stayed at 170-180 the whole trip.....thoughts?

MattyNJ1

,...i think this truck musta been a delivery truck and those are idle hours.....Iam also starting to believe the possibility that maybe it was overhauled already. It stands to reason that a DT466 with 197k/1900hrs would absolutely show signs of being tired and worn out big time! ie: burning oil, smoke, low coolant etc....where as this motor, is clean, and runs perfect. After pulling a machine and materials 7hrs straight up through mountains 500 miles each way, pulling over 10tons, i checked the oil not a drop burned....truck sat on white concrete, after trip, not a spot under the truck, all fluids were fine. I ran the truck mostly 2000rpms /65mph temp stayed at 170-180 the whole trip.....thoughts?