2008 international 4300 brake light stuck in the on at all times...

TruckerE G

I have an international truck that all the sudden the stop lights came ON on their own while it was parked in my lot on stand by ( meaning I haven’t used in a while).
I found 3 pressure switches under the steering column not knowing exactly which one belongs to the brake light sistem if any, but after I replaced all of those the lights still stay on. The new switches are the same specifications as the old ones and fitted in the right location each.
Has someone had the same issue before? Some advice would be greatly appreciated

GAnthony

Supporter
I have an international truck that all the sudden the stop lights came ON on their own while it was parked in my lot on stand by ( meaning I haven’t used in a while).
I found 3 pressure switches under the steering column not knowing exactly which one belongs to the brake light sistem if any, but after I replaced all of those the lights still stay on. The new switches are the same specifications as the old ones and fitted in the right location each.
Has someone had the same issue before? Some advice would be greatly appreciated
i actually have had a similar problem. the brake light switch, which is mounted on the arm from under the dash, and the brake pedal rests on it, has a plastic bushing. it breaks and the light switch stays on.

TruckerE G

GAnthony, thanks for your response. Is your truck equipped with hydraulic or air system? Mine is equipped with air brake system and there is not a switch at the pedal like you would normally see in almost any car or pick up truck with hydraulic system. I appreciate your help .

GAnthony

Supporter
GAnthony, thanks for your response. Is your truck equipped with hydraulic or air system? Mine is equipped with air brake system and there is not a switch at the pedal like you would normally see in almost any car or pick up truck with hydraulic system. I appreciate your help .
air system, class 8 tractor. the mechanic showed me the location of the switch. i think it is up higher towards the dash area, but easy to get at. the "plastic" bushing breaks after x number of miles. the new bushing is the same material if i recall. it's been about 3 years ago? since mine was replaced, and frankly, i don't even have that truck anymore.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
with that switch bushing being broken, and the stop lights on?

the cruise control wold not work also
I would go with that. Take it for a run and if the cruise won't work it is probably the switch, If not then you probably have a short somewhere.

GAnthony

Supporter
I would go with that. Take it for a run and if the cruise won't work it is probably the switch, If not then you probably have a short somewhere.
what i had to do, when the bushing was broken, was i had to lift up the brake pedal just to get the cruise to work. i think i had to do this for 2 full nights, as the shop did not have a replacement bushing. it had to be shipped from International, as the dealer themselves did not have that insipid bushing.

just a PITA, other wise the truck was still drivable.