2000 Century power steering

Duck

Quack
Supporter
Only works when it wants to.

Gradually getting worse.

Herculean strength required just to turn corners sometimes, other times it can be backed into a dock just by palming the wheel like normal.

Been like that since the truck was purchased in November.

1M miles.

Fluid has been changed & is kept up.

The hose on the high pressure side we leaking where it was chafing on the air compressor. Old hose had a bar code tag on it and was obviously not the original. Replacing the hose made no difference.

It seems like it could be air trapped in the system.

Revving the engine has no effect on it during a malfunction.

Any ideas?

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Jack up the front end and turn it lock to lock holding at the lock.

That should bleed it.

Duck

Quack
Supporter
That should bleed it.
You mean purge out any air bubbles?
Should I do this with the cap removed from the reservoir?

And is the purpose of taking the weight off of it simply because I won't be able to turn it lock to lock at a dead stop in its present condition without clamping a ten foot cheater pipe to the steering wheel? :D

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Jacking it up let's it run at lower pressures. And when you have air bubbles, all they do is compress.

No, you don't have to run it with the cap off. But make sure it's not low on fluid or you'll be right back to the start.

Duck

Quack
Supporter
Thanks I'll do that when I get a chance.

Duck

Quack
Supporter
You shoulda seen me backing in at this Pilot just now. Power steering won't work at all below ten mph.

I looked WORSE than a rookie.

:rolllaugh3:

I'm a few millimeters to the left but good enough. :thumbsup:

Chewbacca

VW has trucks that old? Or did I miss something? Little behind on my reading

Duck

Quack
Supporter
VW has trucks that old? Or did I miss something? Little behind on my reading
Nah.

They rendered all of their trucks undriveable so I went home. In a year, if they haven't admitted to & rectified their huge mistake, I'll just sever ties with them permanently.

In the meantime I'm keeping an owner operator's spare truck busy running a Groundhog Day marathon between two Ford plants.

This truck appears to be well cared for but has a few minor age related problems that we've been fixing when time is available.

Chewbacca

Nah.

They rendered all of their trucks undriveable so I went home. In a year, if they haven't admitted to & rectified their huge mistake, I'll just sever ties with them permanently.

In the meantime I'm keeping an owner operator's spare truck busy running a Groundhog Day marathon between two Ford plants.

This truck appears to be well cared for but has a few minor age related problems that we've been fixing when time is available.
Ahh, the dreaded automatics

Duck

Quack
Supporter
Ahh, the dreaded automatics
I'll drive an automatic if I have to.

The trucks are undrivable until I hear back from the screen actors guild about how much I should charge to star in their little voyeur videos every day when I'm changing my clothes.

Duck

Quack
Supporter
Jack up the front end and turn it lock to lock holding at the lock.

That should bleed it.
Seems better but not perfect.

Still some lockups when turning corners on pavement. Just fine in gravel, unless I'm stopped.

AK7

Is that one required to use ATF?

Duck

Quack
Supporter
ATF is what was in there so that's what I replaced it with.

Coming home from Missourah I got off at exit 315 in Bradley, went to the China buffet, & had a hell of a time blindsiding into the truck lot cuz my stupid ass pulled in from the wrong direction & the power steering only works in half second spurts.

Then I went across the street to Harbor Freight to get a bottle jack.

No flippin power steering at all. :mad:

Went home, took the 20 ton bottle jack off my shop press, and jacked both steers about an inch off the ground with the two jacks.

20160416_183952.jpg

I turned it to both locks with the engine off, twice, then started it & did it again like 6 times.

The stop on the left side hits before the right side when I turn it to the right, & looking out the door with the hood open I can see the whole truck frame twist up when the left side locks and I move the wheel further until the right side locks.

Same thing when I deadlock it to the left, just not as much.

Anyway I put it back on the ground and pulled out onto the street, turned left, backed up & turned back in so I can park the trailer in the grass to make room for another truck. There was some tightness in the steering but not as bad.

Usually it's not as bad when I first start driving after the truck has been shut down a while.

Maybe it's not supposed to have ATF in it. I oughta try replacing it with 10-40.

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
I understand it's a bad idea to mix Type F and Dexron 3. I don't know why, though.

I was having problems with PS on my '98. Coming out of a driveway there was a loud pop and PS quit. Mechanic (?) couldn't tell me a thing other than he "thought" it might be the steering box. He didn't have a new filter so he flushed out the old one (inside the reservoir). As I was moving the truck the front end popped again and PS was back. In the last month I've changed the filter twice and have had no more problems. My theory was/is low pressure in the steering box was causing the problem, when he flushed it out it had better pressure, and by putting in a new filter pressure was restored. I may be wrong but so far so good.

Trail Rider

Latest posts