Women expected to help Canada fill its need for drivers

Mike

Staff member
Canada has, like its neighbor to the south, a problem with truck drivers: There are too few and many are retiring or getting ready to. And, just as it is here in the U.S., trucking in Canada is looking to women to help meet the need. A recent report by the CBC on the situation in the province of Prince Edward Island (P.E.I.) demonstrates the issue. The island’s trucking industry is facing a shortage of workers, and officials hope women will help fill the gap.

- See more at: Women expected to help Canada fill its need for drivers

Duck

Quack
Supporter
Labor is a commodity like any other. It's subject to the law of supply and demand.

If supply was short, labor prices (wages) would rise.

When Swift, Werner, Schneider & JB Hunt start offering $60k a year starting wage for rookies, then we'll know there's a driver shortage.

Until then, what we're seeing is a bunch of bullshit hype intended to flood the labor market with "supply" to keep the commodity (labor) prices (wages) down.

I don't know why people keep buying into this crap. The principles of supply and demand are so simple you could almost teach a Bernie Sanders supporter to understand it, yet the megafleet drivers are lucky to make 40 grand their first year.

dchawk81

Kinda hard to make money at 62mph when your mileage rate is low.

Not that I'd want to see most of those guys in a faster truck...

Mike

Staff member
If Canada hasn't already found women to meet their freight demands what makes them think it's going to be different now.
They will be advertising and marketing the industry to make it appealing to women.

It's a great idea, really. If there are women looking to get into the workforce, trucking is something that they often may never even consider. Introducing it to them and letting them know that they are capable of working in this industry can open doors that some didn't know even existed.

patriciajnsn

Steering Wheel Holder
They will be advertising and marketing the industry to make it appealing to women.

It's a great idea, really. If there are women looking to get into the workforce, trucking is something that they often may never even consider. Introducing it to them and letting them know that they are capable of working in this industry can open doors that some didn't know even existed.
You know if there were more men like you welcoming women into the trucking industry then there would be alot more women then there is now.

realdesertkickin

Bad article....US has a zillion drivers, there will never be a shortage

In my town, every man, has a cdl....most local trucking starts at 12 to 14 an hour, tops is 18...companies dont care, they all have stacks of applications

Women? Why acknowledge a specific type of person...good proper drivers are good proper drivers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike

Staff member
Bad article....US has a zillion drivers, there will never be a shortage

In my town, every man, has a cdl....most local trucking starts at 12 to 14 an hour, tops is 18...companies dont care, they all have stacks of applications

Women? Why acknowledge a specific type of person...good proper drivers are good proper drivers..women in trucking is based out of dysfunction and weirdness...
This is Canada, not the US.

This is aimed at making more women aware of the industry, nothing wrong with that.

rigjockey

Token Canadian.
Kinda hard to make money at 62mph when your mileage rate is low.

Not that I'd want to see most of those guys in a faster truck...
yeah like Swift, Schneider, Prime etc are any better.
Another reason why I stopped going to the U.S. too many ignorant assholes!:thumbsup::idiot:
You are a kid! I was running the interstate at 65 mph steady and as high as 90 when most Yankee trucks where limited to 55:thefinger:

Last edited:

dchawk81

yeah like Swift, Schneider, Prime etc are any better.
Another reason why I stopped going to the U.S. too many ignorant assholes![emoji106]:idiot:
You are a kid! I was running the interstate at 65 mph steady and as high as 90 when most Yankee trucks where limited to 55:thefinger:
Lmao. I'm 35. Trucking newbie but not a kid. [emoji14]

rigjockey

Token Canadian.
Most of the women, if they did attract them to trucking , would have to go OTR into the U.S. Why in the **** would they want to do that with the ignorant comments? As seen here.

FYI. Not all Canadian trucks are limited to 65mph!