Winter 2017 - Ready or Not!!!

Discussion in 'Traffic, Weather, and Road Conditions' started by ironpony, Aug 5, 2017.

1. ironpony

ironpony Well-Known Member Supporter

It's August and there was snow on Monarch Pass

IT'S AUGUST AND THERE WAS SNOW ON MONARCH PASS
    Oh Colorado, you're crazy!

Author:Allison Sylte
    Published:08/04/17

IMG_20170803_175845450_HDR _OP_1_CP__1501884521561_10198098_ver1.0.jpg

If you’re reading this, you’re likely from Colorado – so you know that when it comes to weather, our beautiful state has quite a few tricks up its sleeve.

Case in point? These photos of Monarch Pass. Yup – it’s kinda snowy up there! And the pics are from Aug. 3. That’s in the summer.

Brad Shilling lives in Gunnison and took the photos en route to the seasonal state swim championship in Lamar. When they got to the top of the pass, Shilling says rain turned into freezing hail, and then pea-sized hail.

Other cars started to fishtail and lose control in what he described as “slush-snow-rain.”

“We were not surprised at the weather event because as locals, we understand that Monarch Pass has a private, unique weather system,” Shilling said in an email to 9NEWS. “As a mountain family, we are excited to be in any inclement weather – especially snow in the winter.”

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Super Trucker Alert Super Trucker Alert x 1
  2. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

You're banned. :mad: :rant::order:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member Staff Member

53 in Columbus this morning. Considered firing up the bunk heater, lol.

4. r3gulator3

r3gulator3 Well-Known Member

It's like 58 here in Gretna Nebraska. I didn't have to idle the truck last night! So I'm happy, however I'm not ready for snow. Especially in the mountains...I don't even know how I'd drive it as I usually drop down to like 6 gear and Jake down the mountain. So I post this question.

What do you do when it's slick and coming down the back side?

You can't possibly brake the whole way.

5. mndriver

mndriver curmudgeon extraordinare Staff Member Supporter

Home

Screenshot_20170805-071756.png

6. Tazz

Tazz Infidel Supporter

Yes you can brake the whole way. You start slower and keep it slow.

I never run the engine brake in rain or snow. Why would anyone want more braking on part of an axle group when conditions are slick? I believe having all 10 positions braking equally decreases risk of jack knife.

Not even surprising or the first time that has happened. Cut my teeth driving that hill. Aunt and Uncle lives there. Used to drive for my Mom because she would get scared. I remember pulling a uhaul trailer with a Dodge Omni way over loaded. Now that was fun times.

7. ironpony

It's still news around these (Denver) parts. For many, a harbinger of a lucrative ski season.

Some years, that first high mountain snow doesn't hit until late October.

8. GAnthony

GAnthony Well-Known Member

damn, i had better start buying up rock salt and i need 3 new shovels. guess i had better buy gas for the snow blowers now too.....

9. Tazz

Tazz Infidel Supporter

Maybe. I remember going to sledding on Crested Butte before school started one year. Not enough for skiing just a enough to play on.

There are times I miss the mountains. Then I drive through the measly snow Chicago and those Yankees get and remember why I do not. I remember many a Christmas in my Grandfathers Jeep, snow plowing over the hood, having to get out and clear the grill because it was so plugged up, watching the snow fences so we would know where the road was. He used to have two flag poles on the driveway of the property at Texas Creek, only way in mid winter to not drive over the fence.

• Like Like x 1
  10. r3gulator3

I don't run mine in rain either. I don't even run the cruise in rain. I just never thought about how I'd go thru the mountains in snow till this came up. But like that long stretch of 7% coming down into Denver. Just seems like that would severely overheat the brakes.

11. Tazz

Tazz Infidel Supporter

Start slow. You can come down a hill too slow as often as you wish, coming down too fast does not usually end well.

If your moving slower and never let the speed build they should be fine. If you do start to feel fade, or smell them (unlikely because most are behind you)or someone starts warning you on the radio stop then before they catch fire. Once they are smoking your better to let them roll to cool if you can.

However that leads us to the number of times you can go down a hill to fast ;)

Disc seem to handle the hills better here. Couple of places we go in Eastern Kentucky and West Virginia can get them warm but they seem to not fade as bad.

• Like Like x 2
  12. ironpony

You'll need to be geared down from the start. It's better to be in too a low a gear, because you don't want to try to downshift once you're on the grade. The problem with that is if you can't get it back in, you may build up too much speed to be able to get back in gear at all.

In winter, brake fade shouldn't be a problem. I'd advise against stab braking since that could cause a loss of traction. Easy, continuous brake application on snowy, slick or icy surfaces has always worked for me. Be extra careful on less traveled portions of the road surface.

Colorado requires that you carry chains from September 1st to May 30th. The state patrol no longer allows truckers to park for more than 24 hours (?? not sure of the exact time) in rest areas - you can't wait out a storm any longer. Autosox are legal in Colorado, but probably will be trashed before you're all the way across.

Mt Vernon Canyon (I70 west of Denver) is long and steep. When you hit the flat section at Evergreen, you're only half way down. It doesn't level out until the Morrison exit (it's still down grade there,) and there's a real dead man's curve there. That grade has taken a lot of lives over the years.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Blood

Blood Driveler Emeritus Supporter

My old Mack didn't have a Jake.
    Don't recall which Hill but I started down real slow and then decided to upshift.

Couldn't tach it up high enough to catch the next gear and I missed a couple before I got it back in.
    :scared:

Also the first and only time I ever experienced substantial brake fade.

If you ever practically straight-leg the brakes and nothing happens...
    You'll never forget it!
    :eek:

I still crawl down grades like an old woman (no offense @dave350 :D) .

If I had a witness I'd be in the Guinness book of world records for the most times reciting the Lord's prayer in 2 minutes.
    :D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. dave350

dave350 Well-Known Member

The Jake on my old b model Cat isn't very strong at all. I always approached mountains like I didn't have a Jake.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Tazz

Tazz Infidel Supporter

Yeah the condensed version ;)

16. dave350

dave350 Well-Known Member

Yeah maybe.

But once I had the trailer (empty flatbed) start to come around on me on a rain slicked road trying to stop for a red light. Nothing like looking in the mirror and seeing your rear axles coming at you. And of course there were cars in the left turn lane. :rolleyes:

No Lord's Prayer but I can give you a run for the amount of times a person can say "Oh ****" in 30 seconds. :D Damn filters! Word starts with S ends with HIT! :D

Conclusion: I let off the brake and ran the intersection since there was no one in front me and no one had started rolling on the green light. Phew!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  17. r3gulator3

I was rolling empty in Virginia a few weeks back. Down pour in the mountains on 81. Traffic had slowed to about 50 mph I was almost to Roanoke on my way to Lynchburg to get a load of gypsum paper.

I know that my trailer axles are about 7k when I'm empty and know that the trailer is prone to hydroplane. I leave a good space cushion because I know I can't stop fast. I have seen guys jack knife empty skateboards in rain and I plan ahead so I'm not one of them.

Come past a rest area and a guy is trying to merge there is plenty of room in front of me but the truck in front of me stabs his brakes slowing down quickly to let the truck merge. So I slow down quickly closing some of the gap.

Guy gets on the CB "(exploitives deleted) TMC you moron they have to yield to us. We don't yield to them."

I keyed up said I can go any faster than the truck in front of me. When he slows down I slow down as I have an empty deck and can't stop fast.

By this time the o/o had swung out in the hammer lane and seen my situation he apologized.

Empty deck ain't nothing to mess with.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member Staff Member

I started OTR with JB Hunt. Back in their canover days, they didn't believe in jake brakes. I learned the major passes without the help of jakes.

• Like Like x 2
  19. rigjockey

rigjockey Token Canadian.

In school we were not allowed to use jakes. I have run a ton of mountains including Cali without jakes.
    They are nice to have but not a requirement and yet I see trucks with jakes smoking the brakes.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

Roadway trucks didn't have 'em in 2005.

I did Loveland Pass in Colorado with wiggle wagons. No problem.

• Like Like x 2