Which parent handles the discipline when one is an OTR driver?

Discussion in 'Truckers and Parenting' started by Road Dust, Apr 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Road Dust

Road Dust Takes a little sunshine

It would seem to me that the parent at home would be left with the disciplinary process, and the OTR parent would be the hero when he or she came home?

2. rigjockey

rigjockey Token Canadian.

That could be when they are young. Until they reach the rebellious teen years and have resentment,Like I did toward my old man.Until I found myself in the unique position of not always being able to be there,Trying to earn a living and a future.Now I have found respect and an understanding for what he had to do.

3. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member Staff Member

I think if that happens, many problems are going to be created within the family. In my opinion, the OTR parent needs to put extra focus on making sure he/she is part of the disciplinary process. Just because you are not in the house doesn't mean you can't somehow reach the child.

4. texan168

texan168 Well-Known Member

It comes down to if it's something that needs serious attention. If it's minor my wife handles it and if it's a major issue it's brought to my attention and I handle it on phone and if need be the issue is put on hold till I get home. All my kids are older and 3 of the 4 are established on there own now still have one in highschool but he's never a problem. This system worked well for us

• Like Like x 1
  5. mndriver

mndriver curmudgeon extraordinare Staff Member Supporter

My issues are with my ex-wife. And it pisses her off to high end.

IE:
    Daughter will fight and carry on with my ex about getting dishes done at her house. I hear from my older daughter how difficult things go. Daughter comes to my place and it's, "can you do dishes please..." "Sure, no problem." 15 minutes later, dishes are done and she's back to what she wants to do.

Parents need to share and communicate and support each other in ALL aspects of child rearing. It's not just one parents responsibility.

6. Injun

Injun Rabid Squaw Staff Member Supporter

Neither. My girls are grown.

7. hatchettxx

hatchettxx Well-Known Member

Whew, I'm just glad all 4 of my youngins are adults, and live away from home. Now I just worry about my better half being home alone. :frown:

• Like Like x 1
  8. mndriver

If I had to worry about my better half, she wouldn't be my better half...
    .:bigpaddle:

• Like Like x 4
  9. hatchettxx

hatchettxx Well-Known Member

You know what I mean. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  10. mndriver

I totally did.....

It's the reason I HAVE an ex.....

My dad looked at me 3 years afterwards and simply told me...

"You'd have gotten out this month...."

• Like Like x 3
  11. Skateboard

Skateboard ** Commie Express ** Supporter

When my two boys were young come 8:00 I would nod my head and off to bed they went. I started this at a very young age. They went to bed and had to shut their bedroom doors. They could read or whatever but 8:00 was me and my wife's time and they had to stay in their rooms.

We would have friends over and 8:00 would come around and I would nod my head. They both gave us a kiss and quietly went off to bed. Some friends would be like, WTF just happened!!!

My oldest son was a sergeant in the Marines and home for a bit. I was already divorced and had a girl friend over. It was 8:00 and I gave him the nod. He got up and almost went to bed when he realized what he was doing. It was so funny.

• Like Like x 10
  12. Geranimojess

Geranimojess Well-Known Member

Road Dust was spot on...When I was away my Wife was {and still is}the Boss...She made all the decisions and never had to consult me...Oh She'd tell me alright after it was done and over with, but Thankfully everything worked well and our 2 Children are now grown up with their own Families and Responsibilities...we never had any serious problems with them, apart from the usual Money Shortages but still She managed to make ends meet and today I'm still trying to play "Catch-up" with them and the Grandchildren for all I/They missed...

They are now scattered around the Country and we regularly Travel to both Families...our Relationship is better than ever now and being able to spoil the Grandchildren and still walk Arm in Arm with the Daughter is Priceless and do Jobs with the Son {He refuses to walk Arm in Arm :whistling: }...I've no doubt my Wife had Her moments but She never complained and it's Her handling of the Children that has us in the happy position we're in today...So to my Wife Jean "Nice one Kid" ya done us proud :thumbsup: ...{that's a Compliment in Ireland}.......................hope She never gets to read that cause' I'll never live it down...

• Like Like x 2
  13. Moonpie

Moonpie Well-Known Member

The parent that is with the child when the offence is commented. Discipline one works when delivered Immediately and with meaning.