What is up with the Swift haters?

Discussion in 'Swift Transportation' started by Bored Insane, Oct 15, 2015.

1. mndriver

mndriver curmudgeon extraordinare Staff Member Supporter

Enjoy your $2/hour wages.....

2. Injun

Injun Rabid Squaw Staff Member Supporter

Swift company trucks are governed to 62. What that means is that's all you'll get out of the throttle. It has nothing to do with gravity and doesn't mean the brakes will automatically engage if you go above governed engine speed down a hill. They won't. Also, the jake might not be able to hold that speed either. Just because it's engaged and working, doesn't mean your ground speed can't creep up on you.

Part of your job is to control your downhill speed. That involves watching your speedometer and tachometer, choosing an appropriate gear, using your brake as needed and maintaining overall control of the vehicle. What you did was ride your load or "float" down the hill. Lots of drivers do it. It's a pet peeve of mine. I watched an apathetic 15-year experienced driver kill five people in front of me immediately after floating down a hill past me and losing control of his trailer. He had nothing left to pull the trailer back in behind him.

This issue has raised some arguments on these boards in the past. There are drivers who have been floating down hills their entire careers. Some have been driving almost as long as I've been alive. None have ever been able to convince me of the safety of floating down hills. They start telling me how awesome they are at it and my mind goes back to a tractor/trailer on top of a sedan and five people inside the car, screaming from the pain of being burned alive. That's a sound you don't ever want to hear.

Yeh. Definitely a pet peeve of mine. If I was in the Safety Department, the first and final warning any driver would get would be in Orientation before ever touching a Swift truck. Probably good I'm a driver instead.

• Like Like x 2
  3. mndriver

Had a guy giving me flack last week going down monteagle going east. He wanted to know why I was going so slow when I flew past him going up.

I asked him if he could stop in a reasonable distance if there was a wreck in front of him.

He slowed down too.

Idjits

• Like Like x 2
  4. rigjockey

rigjockey Token Canadian.

Yeah right! I am sure that was met with a go **** yourself, Or drive your own God damned truck. Get real! go sell bullshit elsewhere, We are all stocked up trucker!

• Like Like x 2
  5. mndriver

Yop.....however you want it.

Not the first time folks will take some sense..

Have a nice night.

6. rigjockey

You have a nice night!

7. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

Somebody's a little cranky tonight. :rolleyes:

Me too. :D

:mad:

• Like Like x 1
  8. rigjockey

Was it this one
    or this one
    Can't talk now. Go to get me a candy bar. i am just not the same when I a hungry.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Inkeper

Inkeper Well-Known Member

Have a snickers Marsha!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Inkeper

Some, maybe all, of the new Swift company Freightliners have the "Smart Pass" system installed. It is meant to prevent the "Elephant races". In certain situations a company truck can be accelerated to 67 mph to pass trucks governed or traveling close to Swift's speed. The problem (or blessing to some) is that it limits the amount of time that the system can be used to 30 minutes a day.

The normal speed of the truck using the pedal alone is 60 mph. With the cruise engaged you can get 62 mph. With a few taps on the pedal you can get 65 mph, and then re-engage the cruise to get to 67 mph.

• Like Like x 2
  11. mndriver

How many drivers are taught that or care to use it.

12. Bored Insane

Bored Insane Well-Known Member

Yes, I didn't expect much there. However, I spent some cash to eat, now this is in the red.

But, it's okay. I don't have much expectation of a 'pay check', now or even for later.

13. Bored Insane

Remember when you were learning to drive? You feel everything is happening very fast because you are actively thinking and focused on so many things. I'm the same way, if the turn says 45 then I like go 30-35 just to be safe (additional speed reduction is because I don't know the roads in the Mid-West). If the truck was limited to 62 on gas, I was going 61 the first few days because I didn't want to have the motor cut off. Now I just floor it. :D

And not all Swift (company trucks) are governed at 62.
    I think some O/O (L/O) trucks are not at 68 either.

Unfortunately, no one at the orientation told us any of this, or went to any technical details about driving or operation. For example: we had a 5 min video on how to use the Qualcomm, still not clear on all the MACROs we have to do. (But it's coming to me, it's not that difficult)

Trainers (I had 2) did not mention about this either, when I got the warning I figured it out. I don't like coasting either down the hill, I don't think you have any (speed) control until either fuel or brake is applied to the motor.
    But when you have a trainer that tell you 'don't go above 1 mph over' then I'm watching the gauge all the time, and drifting in the lane, not scanning the mirrors, etc.
    (He's didn't say that, but I know he's looking at the gauges all the time. One of those trainer that tells you every little details about turning left or right EVERY TIME).

I'm his first trainee. :confused:

Like I said, I think he's trying too hard (I am too).

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  14. Injun

Injun Rabid Squaw Staff Member Supporter

You'll learn the sounds of the engine rpm and the tone of the tires on the highway and you'll be able to gauge your speed by sound.

My truck is governed to 68. It rarely sees that speed. I have no reason to flatfoot my truck. Loads are set up so you almost can't help but be there on time as long as you stay reasonably at it.

QualComm training is the responsibility of your trainer. You should be the only one touching it.

And yes, I do remember my training. I did make mistakes. The key is to own your mistakes, learn from them and move on.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Inkeper

The better question might be how many drivers will use it as intended.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Inkeper

@Bored Insane You had an overspeed for a few seconds, that's not a big deal at all. It is noted on the q/c for your benefit and learning experience.

Swift will get concerned when you get "excessive overspeeds" which are 72mph and above. Safety will get involved if you have a few of these.

17. Southern Fried

Southern Fried Well-Known Member

Yeah, it does stay with you once you've heard/seen it.

Also, the heart-wrenching cries of a driver trying to crawl under his rig that's sitting on a car that's crushed damn near flat..... screaming "maybe they're alive" while you're trying to hold him back.

There are nightmares out there in this life we've chosen.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Bored Insane

This is not something you can just tell someone to do or try. It may take months or more (when you are by yourself and really focus on those sounds).

Sometimes all I hear is: turn right, RIGHT! STAY LEFT, close to those lines, now SHIFT DOWN, give gas, watch the lights, ignore the limits - follow traffic, give gas, stay at the RPM, now shift up, NO! put in 3rd gear,...

Well, you get the idea.

Sometimes, I think I'll drive better when I listen to ME.

EDIT: I've not hit anything and did not go over anything that I should not have (that we noticed and I stay in the lane far better than many trucks in front of me. Well, maybe a white line here and there ...:rolleyes:).

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  19. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member Staff Member

I was there when the hurricane was blowing by a few weeks ago, at the custom chassis place.

20. Bored Insane

Okay, I'm back to this thread.

I get why some guys bi*ch about Swift. I see what some drivers do, and I'm not perfect either.
    Swift is not perfect by any stretch of imagination, and from the inside view, it needs lots and lots and lots, and lots of work to be decent company.
    But, by seeing how it operates, anyone can tell where the value for Swift lies. Once you get that, Swift doesn't seem like it's any worse than others (not that I know anyone else).

• Like Like x 1