What is trucking in Canada like?

Discussion in 'Canadian Trucking' started by BirchBarlow, Nov 1, 2016.

1. BirchBarlow

BirchBarlow I hate KW 680s

I have always wondered what trucking North of the border was like. Are there any Canadian drivers here willing to share and compare to America?

2. Sinister

Sinister Smartass Emeritus Supporter

I never thought going into Canada was worth the hassle.

GAnthony likes this.
  3. BirchBarlow

I had a company tell me it pays better but I don't have a passport and never applied for certification or twic.

4. Blood

Blood Driveler Emeritus Supporter

My last trip to Canada was 9/11 [2001].
    Took me over 8 hours to cross back in.
    :stare1:

@rigjockey is a regular here and a mod...
    but he quit coming South of the border a while back and he no longer speaks understandable 'Murican.

On the plus side though you can make fun of him and he just sits there and looks at you.
    :)

This is an old picture...
    he is sporting a toque and a goatee [or whatever Canuckians call a goatee] these days.
    Maybe @Duck can modify the image later.
    :D

[​IMG]

rigjockey, Duck, Injun and 1 other person like this.
  5. Sinister

Sinister Smartass Emeritus Supporter

It may pay the company more, whether they pass anything to the drover is a totally different matter.

6. BirchBarlow

Yeah I learned that the hard way about team driving It looked really good when the recruiter explained it to me but found out too late.

7. GAnthony

GAnthony Well-Known Member

i had to cross the DMZ many times (demilitarized zone) of Kanuckistan a few times. there was always a problem at the gates to hell for one thing or another, wrong seal, or wrong paperwork, wrong entries on the paper work, and i'd have to park in the Guantanamo parking lot, and be strip searched.

which, i enjoyed, quite frankly.

then getting OUT of Kanuckistan, was just as much an adventure in of itself.

i had to pay (i think) $10 back then, at the border crossing..

if i stopped at what they consider a truck stop up there, and you eat, you eat all Frenchie foods, and you get back Frenchie money, useless down here.

the only GOOD thing about Kanuckistan..??

was never having to go back there.

i think we should start a war with them, and nuke'em........

this was all back in the mid 1980's....

the terrorists, THEY ARE.....!!!!!!!!!

i found out on MY LAST trip...a pack or fresh Marlboro's, got me anything.....

damn, i learned THAT too late.....but we should still nuke'em.....

8. Skateboard

Skateboard ** Commie Express ** Supporter

Going into Canada, it's like a whole different country.

9. rigjockey

rigjockey Token Canadian. Staff Member

I will be on here around 5 or 6 Est. After I finish work .
    I can answer your questions .

Most of what these "Dial tones" on here posted is out of date :D
    :canada:

Blood and Injun like this.
  10. Tazz

Tazz Infidel Supporter

upload_2016-11-2_12-52-16.jpeg

rigjockey likes this.
  11. rigjockey

Dude, if you were eating french food and got french money then you were not in Canada !
    ( Quebec maybe) Not Canada :cool:

12. GAnthony

oh..ok...so a carton of cigs now does it at the border crossings.>???

we should still nuke'em.....

13. GAnthony

it's all connected...we should still nuke'em....

14. Rodger

Rodger Well-Known Member

Well if you are not tooooo lazy:confused:.....figuring out running Canada is a breeze. It just takes a little practice. Things are a little spendy up their so a good rate going up is a necessity. Tough to get since their dollar took a dive. Roads are something to be desired as well.:(

Friendliest people around!:)

rigjockey likes this.
  15. rigjockey

Yup. That is true about prices but when you factor in the Canadian dollar is about .75 cents U.S. it kinda works out. I used to give the girl at Tim Hortons $2.00 U.S. for a $2.10 coffee and I would get change back.
    The one Hortons girl was new and she says I need 10 more cents, I says no you don't you need to give me change back, LOL.

The roads, well it depends on where you are trying to go. If it is along a 400 series highway the roads are pretty good and smooth.

When you get way up north ya, they kinda suck! But most major cities are in the south. Going across Canada can be challenging.
    It is not like the Interstate system. The interstate system is brilliant:thumbsup::bowdown:. and yes I was being sincere!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    Rodger likes this.
  16. Rodger

Rodger Well-Known Member

I guess fuel and fuel tax is what I should have mention being a little spendy. I run a lot of Manitoba and wow.........the Peg has a messed up road system and very rough. The further out you get from city the roads are atrocious. I just have to drive slower.:confused:
    But everyone should experience the 400 "Toronto Speedway" atleast once in their life. That is the best city highway system in North America.
    Oh and your beer is better too!:beer:

rigjockey likes this.
  17. rigjockey

:rolllaugh3:
    Yup. The 400/401 is truly something to witness. A feat of very Un-Civil engineering:crash:

Injun and Rodger like this.