What attracts driver to work with Step-Deck or Step-Deck Conestoga

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking' started by DavidParker, Mar 9, 2017.

1. DavidParker

DavidParker New Member

Hi,

1. I am curious what is better to get paid % of profit or fixed rate per mile? What should numbers look like?
    2. What other benefits driver must look for when choosing a company to work for?
    3. Where to look for a Step deck Job that would provide me with truck?

Thanks for your ideas and opinions

2. Injun

Injun Rabid Squaw Staff Member

What th....
    Are you looking for a job or are you offering a job?

....or are you advertising without contacting forum admin first?
    20170309_131300.png

3. DavidParker

DavidParker New Member

I want to get better view from truckers what they need and what are they looking for, and where are they looking for.

4. rigjockey

rigjockey Token Canadian, Eh! Staff Member

All of that is fine but, Advertising needs to be cleared with Admin first. Ask All the questions you want but no recruiting without prior consent.

Injun likes this.
  5. Sinister

Sinister Smartass Emeritus Supporter

My latest experience with percentage was less than stellar.

Seemed like it was a license for my crappy dispatcher to waste my time. Instead of having loads set up where I could make awesome money because I actually have a work ethic, it was more like, "Well, that last load you pulled paid good..."

"Yeah, that's nice. Now lets set up three more this week."

Never happened.

Cargo Commando and rigjockey like this.
  6. DavidParker

DavidParker New Member

Dispatching - one of the most important part of the job. They are responsible to make profit for the company and earn money for the driver.

Bad dispatcher wouldn't bring much of a salary whether it would be % or $/mi anyway.

7. rigjockey

rigjockey Token Canadian, Eh! Staff Member

Bad dispatchers cost the company tons of money in driver turn over. It cost a truck load of money to hire, train, and accommodate the learning curve of a veteran driver new hire. Never mind a rookie.

8. Voodooking

Voodooking Member

Getting someone to help with conversions from pay per mile to percentage load is very difficult. I've been trying to do just that. The easiest thing I've found is to interview the drivers of the companies that I've picked that have the lease programs that I like.

The sweet spot seems to be 1700 to 2000 a week. The driver has to really watch his costs however. It's not easy to do.