Want to be a trucker.

Discussion in 'Canadian Trucking' started by Mabeysmove, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Mabeysmove

Mabeysmove Member

Thanks! It's a catch 22.. I won't know if I can handle it until I fork over the money for school and start driving. Maybe I will hate it and think what have I gotten into or think, this is exactly for me. I have always loved driving, spent years driving a company van and tons of long trips. I am anticipating long days and nights, time away from loved ones and a comfortable bed. I am hoping it will be a good move for me and I am looking at driving for ten years , God willing..lol.

2. Mabeysmove

Mabeysmove Member

Yeah it looks complicated... I have read different ways of backing up. Keep it simple, and don't over think?

3. Southern Fried

Southern Fried Well-Known Member

Tell you what you do..... for a month you get up at 2 or 3 am, drink a couple cups of coffee that has been brewing for at least 10 hours. Find you a disconnected phone number and repeatedly call it. This will simulate calling dispatch. Insert a tape of Barney the Dinosaur singing "I love you, You love me" in your tape player and disable the remote. This will simulate trying to get load info, etc from the satellite/elog. Jump into your car and try to find a random address you picked out of the phone book (wearing a bag over your head makes it more realistic) this is the GPS directions. Finally, find a construction site, wrecking yard or some other noisy dusty place and try to sleep in the back seat. If You can find a place with a guard dog, park where he can stand up and scratch the side of your car while barking endlessly. This simulates Lot Lizards.... except the dog will be better looking.

Let us know how you make out.:D

dchawk81 and Geranimojess like this.
  4. Mabeysmove

Mabeysmove Member

:eek: Ok. This must be the downside of the business. Any good sides? How long have you been dealing with these issues? Thanks! :whip:

5. Trkingpro

Trkingpro Well-Known Member

Truckers have been dealing with this since the beginning.
    There are upsides though, Getting away from the family, dealing constantly with law enforcement, dealing with rude people and traffic. These are just a few examples of how you can learn to deal with the general public on a daily basis to become a great salesman or team worker at your next new job.
    (Disclaimer)
    tongue in cheek humor, not meant to offend or disgust any persons.

dmerchound and Mabeysmove like this.
  6. Southern Fried

Downside???? There's a downside???? Heck no.... this is the recreation side. :D

No.... wait.... there is a downside....... Getting Injun mad at you (she has a Tommyhawk!!!!!).

Just giving you some things to chuckle over. There's enough aggravating and frustrating stuff to deal with while getting started in this trade. You gotta develop an active sense of humor so you can smile or giggle at the insanities we deal with every day or it will wind up giving you a coronary. Too many folks come into the business expecting it to be easy. You see them at truckstops, etc walking around with a permanent scowl and an attitude like a pit bull that's just been neutered.

Personally, I like to smile and wish them a good day, hold doors open for em and suchlike. Ruins their whole grouch day for em. :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Geranimojess likes this.
  7. Mabeysmove

Mabeysmove Member

I hear ya... No offence taken. Find me a job that doesn't have crap along with it. Just trying to get some inside dirt that's frank and non b.s. I get a lot of good honest feedback here since I joined. I need to soul search and think about this before making a leap. It's a big decision. Every job blows somewhat, but I still have to work.
    I have a pretty good job now, been at it a while but the blood sucking company I work for is threatening to lock us out over a CBA again, second time in two years. This is going down next spring and I may split while I am still " young" enough to learn and work at this job. Thanks Trkingpro.

8. PsbNewbie

PsbNewbie Member

At 48 and just starting my trucking career i'm used to having my weekends and weeknights to do what I want, now I don't. Not only are you seperated from family, but from your hobbies if you have any, it takes some getting used to.

Steve-CA-NV-AZ-NM-TX likes this.
  9. Southern Fried

On the plus side though, you will get to see stuff that others never will. No, I don't mean lot lizards;).

How about a snowy field amongst the trees just after a storm with the moon and stars just out and a couple deer in the middle of it. Or cresting a hill at daylight to see a valley full of ground fog before you with just the tops of trees and a couple of church spires sticking above it. There's a heck of a lot of beauty in this world if you have wit enough to look.

Geranimojess likes this.
  10. Hello Brothers Truckers, I am new to this forum, and I love the design, easy to read.
    Ok, I give you MY opinion.
    I was trucker (9 months experience in USA) and 10 years in France (no count for American trucking companies~ don't care).
    I worked for Swift (good training 4 weeks with mentor), Pam (good with automatic American truck!), CrEngland (HELL, 2 friends died even get 4 millions miles).

I stopped and worked armed security officer. Great balance... But, not easy to found job... only few weeks, or part time because most security companies don't have long contracts.

So, I must come back drive... But the States I love drive! CA, NV (I hope area 51!), AZ, NM, TX...
    I get the Twic card and Canada fast card... Expensive, and you don't have more job with or without!
    If you begin, more hard to found a company who want hiring you.
    Also, the company always give you a training (few weeks with a mentor).
    Last week, it's hard, you drive like team: the truck move no stop. You sleep the mentor drive. You drive the mentor sleep. It's not a good healthy sleep.
    I drunk 4 energy drink per day and when I must sleep 2 sleeping aid... Also, no good too.
    It's not vacation, It's job, you have to drive, or no money, or worse... Go home!!
    I drove, I pee in the bottle. Don't thinking you get freedom, no chief on your shoulder, you get a snitch (Qualcomm machine and tracker).
    You never see the big boss, he's in the paradise beach!

A lot driver managers are unfriendly. Because, they get pressure too. But, these lasy people are seat down on the chair, and go home everyday... And they think you are a slave. (I am white!)

I am not here to discourage you.
    Look, I want come back drive, because, in usa I cannot work in office, daytime, Monday to Friday as computer technician, or french interpreter customer service (my diplomas are french not American). I am American French, so, for the American Companies a foreign guy...
    Sorry for my English. I hope I help some people who want to be truck driver and don't know the reality.
    I think the truckers must get more money because it's hard job, and you spend all your life in the tractor (small jail), far away to your family, your girlfriend, your friends. And if no truckers anymore all stop (no food, stores empty etc). The trucker are very important for all nations.
    I remember, long time ago, the f.c.ing french gov wanted put more tax to the diesel... Reaction: All truckers stopped the traffic, block the intersections, road everywhere in France. Few days later the fu..ing french gov cancelled the diesel tax! Don't mess with french truckers... Only in... France! Ha ha ha

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
    Inkeper and Southern Fried like this.
  11. dmerchound

dmerchound Member

Hey buddy. I learned how to drive a tractor-trailer from my dad when I was a teenager. First time behind the wheel in the yard I was 13. He put me behind the wheel on the highway when I was 16. I got my license when I was 18. I could and can wheel a big rig... no problem. Two months later I joined the Army and that was that for 26 years. I drove all kinds of big trucks and (Bombardier's 2 1/2 ton MLVW, Steyr's 10 ton HLVW, Western Star HESV, and I drove a MAN with a 50 ton float in the Balkans) and tracked vehicles (Leopard I and Leopard II) and heavy equipment (back-hoes, excavators, dozers, and graders) in the Army. And every chance I got when I was on leave or even just on a weekend here and there I went out with my dad over the years. I knew I wanted to get back on the road and I'm 44 now, so last May I went to a job fair in Moncton, just to get some information... a week later I was doing a road test and a week after that a company medical and drug test. Now I have 10 000 miles with the company while just working weekends. I friggin' love it, but here's the thing. I'm a relatively old guy starting a new profession and I am making rookie mistakes. Not the driving, that's the easy part. The mistakes I'm making are the ones that cost me time, or money, or both. On the other hand I've been told that I'm a quick learner and I haven't made the same mistake twice yet so there's that. So I took the long way to tell you that there's more to trucking than just driving up and down the road listening to the radio. There's all kinds of paperwork that eats into your time... there's some (not all) cranky shippers and receivers that can really screw up a day... when to fuel? when to stop instead of getting caught in traffic? when to log? what to log? how to load the cargo... little tricks like putting a little sliver of wood under a pallet so it leans out instead of in... all kinds of stuff I should have learned 20 years ago. I'm fortunate that I was skilled, that's what got me through the door. The company I got on with turns away about 70% of the applicants. I think it's a good company, and I've been asking around and it seems that they're pretty well respected by the drivers I talk to so I guess I'm lucky too. I'm not trying to scare you off, I'm just telling you my truth.

Inkeper likes this.
  12. BirchBarlow

BirchBarlow I hate KW 680s

You poor bastard and no offense.

13. krelithous

krelithous Prius hater Supporter

everyone hates there job at some point or another weather they work for someone or there self employed!!! nothing in life will aways go someones way all of the time.. i drove for a year a while back. why because i am:coocoo: well i wanted to try something new i will never do that again. but after loosing my ass to insurance premiums as those can give someone a triple bypass and that's even if the insurance co is willing to take the risk on someone. then there's high fuel costs and crap rates and emissions regs. so after a year i was fedup and said ****it. and jumped back into real estate and recouped what i lost as well as owning investment properties..

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  14. storm_rider_

storm_rider_ Well-Known Member

They do say most people have three main changes in career in there lives. Blows my mind when someone says ive been in a factory job for 30 years. When i left school i went to polytech, like university and studied architectural drawing and estimating. By the time id finished id had enough of study and ended up picking and pruning fruit trees and worked as a labourer doing alsorts of building stuff and was just on cruise. Sat my truck licences cause i always enjoyed driving. Worked for the local council doing roading till i had enough and ended up working as an estimator for six years crunching numbers taking off house plans. Being in the little office with phone screaming. Constant interruptions and put up with arrogance from architects and single mindedness about costs i went stuff it and left. Been driving 10 years or so now. Done my share of ugly stuff. I prefer the physical stuff and delivering rather than brain dead drone work of line haul and having loaders unload reload you. Most days i enjoy it still. Yeah it could pay more. And traffics painfull. But yeah always compromises in everything. My scenery changes. Own music on. On cruise and doing my thing.

15. dmerchound

dmerchound Member

I did some company training the week before last. I met two guys who just started this past July. One guy was 55 and worked at a special care home for 25 years. He quit because his boss was a drunk. Anyway, this guy never drove a truck before. He went to a driver school, did a month with a company trainer and now he has a designated route. That's all I know about him. The second guy was 60! Can you believe that??? Crazy... anyway he also went to a driver school and did a month with a company trainer. He's hauling groceries for four days on, four days off. Again, that's all I know. They both seem like really good people, just trying to make a living. Anyway, we'll see how it goes for them... winter is coming, and that my friends, always separates the pros from the wannabees.

16. ironpony

ironpony Well-Known Member Supporter

So exactly what are you supposed to do until Social Security kicks in? Walmart minimum wage greeter? Clean urinals at a truck stop?

Careful now... you're not getting any younger either.

17. Injun

Injun Rabid Squaw Staff Member

Tazz likes this.
  18. dmerchound

dmerchound Member

I don't know brother, I don't know what you are supposed to do. I don't know what people are doing. But then again, 60 is not old... I mean if you take care of yourself it's not that old. And the guy I met looked like he was in pretty good shape... so I dunno.

19. johndeerejohn

johndeerejohn New Member

Yep, don't discourage him... But unfortunately there is some truth in what you said you krelithous

20. Tazz

Tazz Infidel Supporter

Hello.