Want to be a trucker.

Discussion in 'Canadian Trucking' started by Mabeysmove, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Dan1296

Dan1296 New Member

I

2. krelithous

krelithous Prius hater Supporter

you will only get out of it what you put into it. You wont make millions lol bit its a decent living and no fleecing bust your arse and save your pennies if you want to buy a truck youll be to busy learning the rules and regs traffic behavior ect ect ect to even begin to think about starting a bussiness

SweetDaddy likes this.
  3. Tazz

Tazz Infidel Supporter

Welcome. Whole different world getting going up there @rigjockey can answer simple questions. We implore you not to tax his capacity with complex ones. The poor man has had an identity crisis and will soon have a reemergence as a flatbedder:eek:

We can answer general questions, but Canookistan policy is above our pay grade. Good luck, and don't get caught sitting on the porch with the naysayers. Someone once told a navigator the world was flat and ruled by Kings due to the grace of god. Good thing Columbus did not listen huh?

rigjockey likes this.
  4. krelithous

Come to los angeles and we can play bumper cars together :D

Mabeysmove likes this.
  5. Mabeysmove

Mabeysmove Member

Thanks... I don't have plans on buying a rig, hope to find a decent company to hire me. I am not afraid of hard work. Been busting my ass for years doing customer service, house calls. Tried of it, can't please some people. I love driving. The long days and loneliness is something I read a lot about and being away from home sucks too... I have to find something that pays ok and won't drive me too crazy!! Lol. I see hundreds of truckers around, they can't all hate their jobs.

6. Dan1296

Dan1296 New Member

Everybody I think hates there job at some point.getting lost is what bothers me the most and not sure how good some of the GPS works any info on good ones and bad ones

7. rigjockey

rigjockey Token Canadian, Eh! Staff Member

@Mabeysmove
    It's not like that here. In Ontario they pretty much leave you alone. Sure the scale may pull you in but, For a cop to pull over a big truck they have to be doing something really stupid. The cops don't bother the truckers. Parking is not an issue. If you can't find a truck stop you can park on the street in the industrial areas. You can park on the On/Off ramps and if you really need to you can park on the shoulder of the highway, Nobody is going to bother you. A driver needs their rest.

krelithous likes this.
  8. rigjockey

@Mabeysmove I did some poking around. OTDS is like 8 grand, That could be B.S. I know Humber is around 5 grand and change. I know that it would be a long commute from Niagara to Toronto everyday. Especially after putting in a long day at the school. I know with the in class and the on the road training my days where 12 hours long. That could just be because if the way they set up my particular schedule. Is there a college closer that offers truck training?

9. Mabeysmove

Mabeysmove Member

Yeah OTDS is expensive but close. I will check if there's others here. How long was your training at Humber?

10. rigjockey

It was about a month long. I am not sure but they may offer weekend lessons you would have to call and ask. Humber is one of the few schools that signing authority. Meaning you dont have to go take the test at the MTO, They give you the test and then upon passing they give you a sealed envelope to take to the licence office and bang you have an A/Z.

Here is an inside phone number, If your call Humber you will be on the phone all day. |This number will get you through faster 416-798-0300

11. Mabeysmove

Mabeysmove Member

12. Mabeysmove

Mabeysmove Member

Thanks, you've been very helpful. Once u have the licence, how often do you need to renew it?

13. rigjockey

HMMM... Just off hand i know you do your medical every five years. I think and don't hold me to this, You do a written every 3 years. Easy enough once you understand the air brake system.

14. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member Staff Member

Moved this down to the Canadian forum for ya, maybe a few more of our fellow Canadian drivers will have some advice for you.

15. Mabeysmove

Mabeysmove Member

Thanks! Appreciate that and the info. Seems like a pretty tight brother/sisterhood... That's important.

16. Mabeysmove

Mabeysmove Member

I'm sure learning to back up is going to be a *****, but like anything else it takes practice I guess. . First step will be getting my medical clearance from the doc. Should be okay!

17. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member Staff Member

Backing up is a piece of cake, once you get over the initial fear of learning it. Whether you are going forwards or backwards, you are always steering/turning the trailer, not the tractor.

And don't hit nuthing! :)

Tazz and rigjockey like this.
  18. rigjockey

@Mike is right! Steer the trailer. It takes practice of course. I did real well at backing. I looked down the side of the trailer, Right to the back corner and lined it up with where I wanted it to be. Your set up before backing is Key! If you set it up right it is not too hard. But, I still do it myself., I mess up the set up and then it becomes hard to back up. Don't panic. Everything will be explained when you are in the truck. Most of all take your time. Some drivers rush. It looks real slick IMHO when you let the truck walk itself back real slow and put it in the slot the first time or even with one pull up.
    Exactly! look at the back of the trailer and steer it the way you want it to go. Some will tell you steer the opposite way, That just complicates things, Makes a new driver over think it.

19. Southern Fried

Southern Fried Well-Known Member

One thing that nobody seems to mention is the weird sleeping hours. You might be going to bed at 8pm today, 3pm tomorrow and 3am the next day. Then, if you're driving team you're gonna have to sleep in a moving truck and they don't ride like no Cadillac. No, you don't get to drive and sleep when you want to, everything's driven by schedule and the HOS rules.

I notice you're 54, so I'll assume you're kinda used to sleeping at night in a comfortable bed. I'm 66 and have been doing this for 42 years and there are still times when I have trouble falling asleep in mid day. Throw in "eating" at weird times too.... and it ain't exactly home cookin out there anymore.

Adjusting to this is rough enough for the young folks. For "old farts" like us it can be worse. It can cause serious health problems.

Be real sure you can handle this before you plunk down a bunch of non-refundable cash.

Geranimojess likes this.
  20. krelithous

and how corrosive the job is on the human body