Want to be a trucker.

Discussion in 'Canadian Trucking' started by Mabeysmove, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Mabeysmove

Mabeysmove Member

Hello... I am new to the site and haven't even started in the industry yet.. I am hoping some insight will help me. I am a male, 54 and live in Niagara Ontario. I have a supportive wife and two adult kids at home. I currently am working but I am seriously thinking of hitting the road. I need to get training, a licence A-Z, and of course a job. I am looking to leave my present job next March. Any input positive or negative is welcome. Thanks Chris.

• Like Like x 1
  2. krelithous

krelithous Prius hater Supporter

And why do you want to be a trucker with all the over regulated rules and regs

• Like Like x 1
  3. ghostrider

ghostrider Well-Known Member

dont discourage him :bonk:

• Like Like x 2
  4. krelithous

Im not discourage him im curious is all. As it seems when the economy goes to pot everyone wants to become a trucker!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. rigjockey

rigjockey Token Canadian.

Welcome to the forum Chris. I am also a fellow Canuck. We are all here to help. If you need any help in regards to things in Canada there are a few of us on the board that can help. Good luck.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Mabeysmove

Mabeysmove Member

I am not aware of any of the regs or rules... I am just trying to dig and see if it's something I can handle and not mind so much. Are you based in Ontario? Being a resident of the province my whole life I can imagine they grip your balls.. Is the training, fees and hours away worth it? Thanks

7. Mabeysmove

Mabeysmove Member

Thank you very much... I just signed up here today after weeks of surfing thru websites... Hoping to decide before the new year... It's a huge career change for me but I can and do work very well alone and with others as a team

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mabeysmove

Mabeysmove Member

It seems like there are trucks everywhere these days... I am sure the job comes with rewards and **** offs like most gigs. Where to look for work, where to get trained, where to avoid would be helpful.

9. Mabeysmove

Mabeysmove Member

Haha.. Not that way... Maybe grabbing your wallet is a better term.

• Like Like x 2
  10. rigjockey

True that! In Canada the government will take your money.

11. krelithous

can you handle being gone for weeks at a time? Im in commieforina and not in canada I wont run in canada because they require speed limiters in some areas I stay close to home anyways​

12. rigjockey

Go to a trucking school that is accredited with the province/ ministry. Colleges are your best bet for passing and getting hired by a company. You can go to Jeet Singh truck training but you will not pass the test and will have to pay again for more training. Even if you do pass companies will not look at you.

When you are done school a company may offer you a job. If not I have some leads on places that will take you on.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mabeysmove

Mabeysmove Member

Where do u work from, ghost rider? How do u like being a trucker? :thumbsup:

14. Mabeysmove

Mabeysmove Member

Thanks for the tip. Any word on OTDS, NIAGARA ON THE LAKE? Expensive... Also looking at Humber College as a school where it's decent, legate and might lead to a good trucking company.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ghostrider

ghostrider Well-Known Member

im not a trucker i work carpentry and work on cb radio also im a cb tech anyway my dad use to drive

for a company a long time ago in the 80s so im not against truckers thier my friends

16. rigjockey

I went to Humber. it is a good school. It's a tough program. Between the in class and the road you will put in a long day. Good training for what the highway is like.
    There are a few trucking companies that hire drivers right out of Humber.

17. Mabeysmove

Mabeysmove Member

Seems like a good way to make money if you work hard. I am sure it's not for everyone, it may not be right for me either, but don't know til I try. Thx. :)

• Like Like x 3
  18. Mabeysmove

Mabeysmove Member

Ok. Thanks man!

• Like Like x 1
  19. notarps4me

notarps4me Shy and Quiet.

Ok; you failed the sanity test... might as well go forward with being a trucker....

• Like Like x 1
  20. krelithous

He thinks that school has shown him what the hiways like ha I dont rember them teaching me that I might be sleeping next to pee bottles in a trk stop or bags of crap lol ir that snob that wants to pull out in front if you and expect you to slow down