Wally World Wanderings - and still the only 20 thread you need to read.

Tazz

Infidel
Supporter
Started off the day with 8 inches of snow on the hood.

Had to chase a vendor out of a single dock store.

Ran in snow, rain, sleet, freezing rain, more snow, sleet and freezing rain all day.

Then it got windy, to the point where a semi blew over near Rochelle 1 mile south of the exit for the Petro. I got pretty spooked a few times myself...and I don't spook easy cuz of weather.

On the 88 to 39 northbound side, a JB container blew off its chassis and was laying in the ditch. Just the container...the truck and chassis sitting on the shoulder...chuckle chuckle...

Now I'm 45 minutes sitting in the middle of Calumet Ave going into Hammond because the railroad is broken.

View attachment 38144
So...quite the trying day here in the world of wally...

I guess running for Beaver Dam the last 2 days ain't so bad though. Wife says there's like 10 inches of snow up at home...
That is a common occurrence on Calumet ave. I always tried to come in off turnpike to avoid those double tracks.

There is supposedly a back way a Spring Valley driver tried to tell me but no way I am running through those neighborhoods. Seems like a good way to find a low clearance.

ironpony

Supporter
Snowing in Idaho Falls at 0330, nasty all the way to UT. Chain law up on the Sisters... wind's knocking the truck around parked in Rawlins.

:mad:

Duck

Quack
Supporter
There's this feeder track that crosses Rt 50 just south of Manteno. No gates, just lights.

I've seen it on use..... twice.

Today or yesterday whenever the hell it was, I could see the flashing lights from like 4 miles away as I was approaching.

Nobody was even slowing down. :confused:

I stopped cuz it ain't worth the 100 year prison term or whatever stupid @Tazzish penalty it is now.

Monkey see, monkey do I guess, because only after I stopped, everyone else on both directions stopped too.

F'kin train was stopped on the tracks, one engine, three tankers, waiting for people to stop. As soon as cars were actually stopped in both lanes of each direction, he put the hammer down and was through the crossing in like 30 seconds.

Sinister

Smartass Emeritus
Supporter
There's this feeder track that crosses Rt 50 just south of Manteno. No gates, just lights.

I've seen it on use..... twice.

Today or yesterday whenever the hell it was, I could see the flashing lights from like 4 miles away as I was approaching.

Nobody was even slowing down. :confused:

I stopped cuz it ain't worth the 100 year prison term or whatever stupid @Tazzish penalty it is now.

Monkey see, monkey do I guess, because only after I stopped, everyone else on both directions stopped too.

F'kin train was stopped on the tracks, one engine, three tankers, waiting for people to stop. As soon as cars were actually stopped in both lanes of each direction, he put the hammer down and was through the crossing in like 30 seconds.
That picture you see was after about 35 minutes sitting there. I was in between the 2 tracks @Tazz mentioned. Enough people had either driven around the barrier or made U turns that I could creep up.

So I looked at the crossing arm and called the number, and told them they had a malfunctioning arm.

Learned that doing oversized. Of you get hung up that bad, find that number ASAP.

They said it was because there were stopped trains close by due to power lines being down on the tracks someplace.

I hung up and sat another 10 minutes hoping someone would try to walk across the tracks instead of drive with rubber tires.

That would have made the whole thing worth it.

Sinister

Smartass Emeritus
Supporter
...at least I'm interesting.

Made it into and out of Elwood unscathed, though I will be taking a different route next time. The Navigo is pretty dumb coming from Indiana that way.

Headed back to the DC with a load of China goods.

...and as predicted, when I was running for 7039 the last 2 days, and weather killing the LOS of 6025, they're looking for extensions help at 6025.

:rolleyes:

I'll have about 2 hours left when I get there, and a puking 4 year old at home...so....sorry. Gonna pass on extending this week.

Duck

Quack
Supporter
Be careful going to Elwood.

That whole area south of Joliet is NOT truck friendly. It's not the roads, it's the people. The NIMBYs never got over the construction of that railroad terminal and the industrial park. They hated trucks even before a can hauler named Mohammed "accidentally" tore up the veterans cemetery last year.

Don't go any route not OK'd by trustworthy people at the Elwood DC. Not some guy who lives in Menominee and has never driven anything bigger than an F-150.

That whole area south of Joliet is NOT truck friendly. It's not the roads, it's the people. The NIMBYs never got over the construction of that railroad terminal and the industrial park. They hated trucks even before a can hauler named Mohammed "accidentally" tore up the veterans cemetery last year.

Don't go any route not OK'd by trustworthy people at the Elwood DC. Not some guy who lives in Menominee and has never driven anything bigger than an F-150.
That Paper place keeps APPOINTMENTS on DROP n Hook and I mean bring Loaded and "Taking" an EMPTY fer gosh sakes...

Hadda park at that Craphole "Arab" place for the night down 55 a couple exits and PAID ten bucks to park even though I was only 60/70 miles from home

Sinister

Smartass Emeritus
Supporter

When the hell were all these huge industrial parks built?

When I quit hauling vans, going to the western suburbs was a blessing, but way too much other stuff was all still inside 294...

Duck

Quack
Supporter
That Paper place keeps APPOINTMENTS on DROP n Hook and I mean bring Loaded and "Taking" an EMPTY fer gosh sakes...

Hadda park at that Craphole "Arab" place for the night down 55 a couple exits and PAID ten bucks to park even though I was only 60/70 miles from home
The one at the 122 across the highway from the Pilot?

Or the one in Joliet on Larkin?

At Rt 53 and Laraway Rd there's a medium size truck stop. Pretty decent inside. They have dunkin donuts and some kind of Blues Brothers themed 50's Italian sausage type joint.

Duck

Quack
Supporter
When the hell were all these huge industrial parks built?

When I quit hauling vans, going to the western suburbs was a blessing, but way too much other stuff was all still inside 294...
Will County was the fastest growing county in the USA in the 90's and 2000's. Low taxes, no stupid ordinances, etc.

Now it's crawling with yuppies and foreigners, there's red lights every tenth of a mile, a Starbucks on every corner, three Walmarts and two Menard'ses on a 4 mile stretch, taxes are insane and it just plain sucks.

Tazz

Infidel
Supporter
You talking about the IDC over behind the refinery?

I never did find a better way in there. Sucks the way you have to run past everything and come back up. But like @Duck said everything to the east of that is a no go zone.

Duck

Quack
Supporter
@Tazz ...

The green route I'm assuming is the way you're supposed to go, right?

1.jpg

I know for a fact you cannot take Manhattan Road, which is what Arsenal Road turns into if you go east.

Below is the part of Manhattan Road trucks can not go down. The NIMBYs are so bad that half the "no trucks" signs are made of plywood. o_O

3.gif

What I don't know but assume that you can do.... ASSUME... is the orange route below.

2.jpg

It would make no sense to ban trucks on that route. I mean, there's freaking warehouses right freaking there on both sides of Rt 53.

But the town is crawling with psychotic NIMBYs who make their own signs, so,.... :dunno:

I gotta go to Joliet in a few days, maybe I'll scope it out if I remember. It's not much of a detour.

Sinister

Smartass Emeritus
Supporter
No, from Indiana the Navigo had me get off 80 at exit 132, and take 52 south and make a million stupid turns, but I did go past that Pilot and the other place at Laraway Rd.

The bridges are 14 foot just after you head south on 52. I didn't catch the clearance on the first one but it looked lower.

Hit a bump with an empty spring ride van trailer...goodbye bonus.

So I'll be using the Arsenal Rd route next time.