Violence in Media and Movies.

Discussion in 'Truckers and Parenting' started by Sinister, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Sinister

Sinister Smartass Emeritus Supporter

As a parent, how much is too much, and where do you draw the line?

Are you like Ned Flanders, who lives under a social rock and is offended by everything? If so...what do you watch? Because Hollywoods assault on the family structure makes viewing anything other than the Hallmark channel just about impossible. And have you ever actually watched the Hallmark chann-

...oh sorry I dozed off there.

Are you somewhere in the middle like I am, and when you see things you think need explaining, you do so and basically handle movies and TV on a case-by-case basis? Explaining that things are not real, and that that action sequence was pretty much impossible, and trusting that your kid is fairly intelligent, and cringe every time something bad happens and the media blames the Grand Theft Auto franchise?

Do you just let it all go, and hope your kid doesn't become the next Ed Gein all by him or herself? Just a cursing, and boob flashing and brains being blown out into a big bright future?

Maybe it's not that great a comparison, because that guy was mentally ill anyway to start with, but all those books and comics about cannibals he read constantly couldn't have helped, right? Or did they not matter because he was part crazy to begin with? Also, the Gein case happened in the 1940's. Let's keep that in mind.

If you believe media has that strong an influence, it's also important to realize violence in media is not new, though it may have been more tame back in the day, the idea that it influences kids and people is not new, so how far back can you go with it? Should the Hallmark channel be the only thing allowed on TV?

Obviously I'd like to hear more from people in a parental role. It really does change your perspective on things, and I think make you a little more aware of the dangers of the world. Of course, you're all welcome to run your yaps.

...aaaaannd go!

2. Sinister

The reason I'm finally getting around to this type of thread is that the other night we trying to watch Elysium, and while I fully realized it was R rated at the start, it was actually my seven year old son who asked that it be turned off due to overabundance of swearing!

I was watching it and figured he was playing with the tons of toys he'd gotten for Christmas and not paying attention. Kids are ALWAYS paying attention. @Sinisters Wife and I were sitting there debating whether to continue watching, when our son made the decision for us.

For me it was a bit of a wake up call to be even more aware of what my kids are watching.

We tried as parents to keep my son sheltered from violence for as long as possible, and man what an uphill battle. Kindergartners bringing "shooters" to school, and my son noticing every time he saw one on TV, and it seemed to have an opposite effect of making him fascinated with them! And already my 21-month old daughter is being influenced. One of the words in her limited vocabulary is, "Die....die...." which is kinda weird. For my son, the case-by-case explanation method has seemed to work. Since he could talk he would hear bad words, recognize them, and either ignore it or say things like, "I'm not supposed to use that word."

I'm not sure how it's going to work for my daughter though. She seems to have more things influencing her.

3. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

If I had kids they wouldn't even be allowed to watch SpongeBob.

There's a restaurant called "The crusty crab" located in a place called "bikini bottom"... really? Anybody who can't spot the innuendo there is an idiot. And isn't one of the characters gay?

I'd encourage them to watch certain types of violence though, stuff with a freedom fighters vs. oppressor theme like The Patriot or Spartacus, to prepare them for their future.

Fortunately I don't have to worry about that. I have no kids & don't intend to have any, ever. I do have a step-daughter but the public schools have turned her into a pseudo-intellectual communist type like Lisa Simpson so I personally don't GAF what she sees on TV.

4. Sinister

That's true. Spongebob isn't really a kids show. It's only in the last 6 months or so we're letting my son watch it.

A lot of the humor is geared toward adults too though. Just like with many kids shows and movies. I think they do that so the parents forced to watching aren't tortured completely to death.

A particularly funny piece of innuendo I found was Spongebob getting tossed out of a classroom by a really mean teacher and on his way out saying, "See you next Tuesday."

If my son never in his life realizes why I chuckled at that, it won't bother me.

5. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

They have done that for years. Subtle jokes only adults will even get. I guess with SpongeBob they have to consider that the parents of these kids are mostly from my worthless generation & don't think a joke can be funny unless there's something sexual about it. And they probably figure that today's generation of kids have no future at all so what does it hurt if they pick up on dirty jokes a few years too soon.

6. ezrollin

ezrollin Well-Known Member

don't get it, no freaking clue

7. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

If somebody were to say "see you next Tuesday" in a text message, they might write it "C U next tuesday". If you look at the first letters of the next two words in that sentence, you'll see what the phrase means.

8. 8978

8978 ** Commie Express ** Supporter

My kids are grown but I never let them watch anything violent, swearing or even close to sex scenes. When my two boys were 13+ I would let them watch stuff but if they made any comments or anything when something R rated came on, they were cut off.

My boys actually loved the same shows as me. This Old House, Yankee Workshop, The History Channel when there was something on like building the Hoover Dam or Ship building and stuff like that.

9. Sinister

So did they become decent people despite your hedonistic tendencies?

10. Injun

Injun Rabid Squaw Staff Member Supporter

No. They grew up to be Democrats.

• Like Like x 3
  11. 8978

One did. The other joined the Marines and shoots people in Afghanistan at long distances.

12. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

What's the non-sniper one do?

Prius salesman?
    Sociology professor?
    Flight attendant? o_O

• Like Like x 3
  13. 8978

Lol. Supervisor in a paper factory

• Like Like x 1
  14. rigjockey

rigjockey Token Canadian.

So he works for the Government. They make tons of paper.

• Like Like x 2
  15. 8978

Ha ha ha ha ha

16. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

Who else would a liberal work for?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member Staff Member

We monitor what the girls watch, to an extent. nothing that has a lot of profanity and no adult content.

Shows such as 2 1/2 men is completely off limits.

SpongeBob is allowed although the show creeps me out.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Sinisters Wife

Sinisters Wife Well-Known Member

@Sinister
    Your son still wants to see the rest of Olympus has fallen.
    There was a title for one of the revolution episodes called Sex and Drugs. He read it and made a comment of "uhoh" I said "oh drugs are bad" totally ignoring the word sex. He says " no not the drugs the other word" I fear we may have to have the talk with him already. He has never seen more than a girl and boy kissing, so where he has learned the word sex I don't know. But I am not looking forward to discussing this with a 7 year old.

19. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

I don't know about Wisconsin but in some states the public schools are teaching that crap to kindergarteners.

20. Sinisters Wife

Sinisters Wife Well-Known Member

I really hope they were not teaching that to my kids that young. That is ridiculous!!