Truckers encouraged to deliver rejected food to Indiana charities

Maria

Diet Coke
Staff member
A new website is encouraging truck drivers to bring rejected food that is still edible to Indiana charities.

IndyFoodDrop.org is designed to help the trucking industry redirect any food rejected by local grocers and distributors from the landfills and into the hands of people in need. Midwest Food Bank, Gleaners Food Bank, Second Helpings and St. Vincent de Paul Food Pantry teamed with the Indiana Motor Truck Association on this initiative.

“We know there are times when food is rejected by the food distribution channel due to improper food temperature of the truck, shifted or damaged boxes during transport, or bruising and browning produce, yet it is still edible and nutritious,” said John Whitaker, executive director of Midwest Food Bank in Indianapolis. “When that happens it’s easier to head to the Dumpster, throw away the food and get back on the road. Our goal is to mobilize the resources within the four partnering organizations to quickly and efficiently transfer food that may have otherwise been thrown away into the food recovery system.”

full story

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
I've always taken rejected loads to food banks at Prime's direction. Only exception was a load of ground-up chicken that the shipper had set too cold. I noticed the different temp on the BoL and called the office. Office checked on it and then notified me by QC to leave it alone. 40,000 pounds of chicken refused. It went to a pet food manufacturer.

Otherwise, food banks. Prime had lists of them all over the country.

Rigjockey

Supporter
I've always taken rejected loads to food banks at Prime's direction. Only exception was a load of ground-up chicken that the shipper had set too cold. I noticed the different temp on the BoL and called the office. Office checked on it and then notified me by QC to leave it alone. 40,000 pounds of chicken refused. It went to a pet food manufacturer.

Otherwise, food banks. Prime had lists of them all over the country.
I was wondering if the discrecion was up to the shipper or the receiver as to how to dispose or donate rejected food?
I would think that a large food company like kraft an the like would not want to be connected with people, Especially homeless or poor people getting sick off of their food. It would be a publicity nightmare.

I often took food to be disposed of to the recommended facility and it was pretty much landfill.

r3gulator3

Going to food banks and someone deciding if it's safe to eat and serve the needy as opposed to some of these dill weeds out here who just dump the boxes in the bank of a truck stop parking lot.

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
Shipper has first right of refusal if the receiver rejects the load. If the shipper doesn't want it or doesn't redirect it. the carrier's load insurance should pay the shipper for the load unless shipper negligence can be shown...which is not easy. The insurance company tells the carrier to dispose of the load. Then, the load becomes the property (problem) of the carrier. That's kind of how it works and one of the reasons I would not want to run temp control as an independent like @mndriver does.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
I've had 5 cases of frozen ensure shake drinks that I had to dispose of. Took me all of 30 minutes. Nursing homes snarf that stuff up.

had 6 cases of 20# of burger patties. Sysco sells them to bars type stuff. We have burgers for the year, gave a case to each of my daughters and also to the wife's niece/nephews.

Had a 3 gal bucket of ice cream. Gave it to a friend for their 6 teenage kids. It lasted 3 days.

It's not a big deal. The broker will talk to the owner of the product. generally the shipper or buyer or whomever and they give disposition. I've got a buddy that has had 3 truckloads of produce rejected. Mainly because the consignee is trying to scam the shipper into a lower price for a product. Generally happens at start or end of produce seasons.

Easy fix. he shrugs his shoulders, tells the consignee to **** off, deal with the shipper yourself and starts to pull away from the dock. 5/6 times, they are unloading him before he gets to the cab.

It's all a game really.

Blood

Driveler Emeritus
Shipper has first right of refusal if the receiver rejects the load. If the shipper doesn't want it or doesn't redirect it. the carrier's load insurance should pay the shipper for the load unless shipper negligence can be shown...which is not easy. The insurance company tells the carrier to dispose of the load. Then, the load becomes the property (problem) of the carrier. That's kind of how it works and one of the reasons I would not want to run temp control as an independent like @mndriver does.

In 7 or 8 years I only had one claim...
because a consignee couldn't receive product within the contracted window.
The alternate site lied about receiving a ti less than they actually got.

Claim was $340, which I had to agree to to get paid for the load.
After agreeing to a rate on the next load I made a notation on the confirmation...
$350 surcharge applied for false claim.
;)

The broker called me to say she couldn't absorb $350 extra on the load...
but $200 this time and $200 next time would work.
Agreed!
:)

Plus, somebody might have kicked a case or two of frufru muffins that were ultimately rejected...
and (eventually) disposed of.
:D

upload_2017-3-18_0-4-13.jpeg

Rigjockey

Supporter
I've had 5 cases of frozen ensure shake drinks that I had to dispose of. Took me all of 30 minutes. Nursing homes snarf that stuff up.
No doubt! Just the regular cans of ensure are expensive. I used to but a case of 24 for about $25.00. 20 if it was on sale and I would have it in the truck with me for those times when I didn't get to eat during the day.

GAnthony

No doubt! Just the regular cans of ensure are expensive. I used to buy a case of 24 for about $25.00. 20 if it was on sale and I would have it in the truck with me for those times when I didn't get to eat during the day.
that Ensure, although i only had a can once, would be good as emergency "food" if stuck on the road.

Last edited by a moderator: