Truck Takes Out a Bridge

Discussion in 'Truck Driving Stories - Tales From The Road' started by Duck, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

Nah. When that barge hit it, it cut off the only direct route between Romeoville & Lemont. And it took something like 15 years for the replacement bridge to be built. Everybody hated that barge captain, whoever he was.

krelithous and rigjockey like this.
  2. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

patriciajnsn likes this.
  3. Blood

Blood Driveler Emeritus Supporter

I thought this thread was going to be about @Duck 's dental work...
    and his Ranger.
    :stare1:

:D

4. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

No the denthal work I had thun thoday went thith fine exthept he uthed more anethetic than lath thime an it made me thalk like Mike Thyson for thoo hours.

5. GAnthony

GAnthony Well-Known Member

i hate when that happens.

i hate mike tyson

i hate tooth aches

i hate dental work

i hate paying for dental work

i hate

oh well....off to the hate websites now....

Duck likes this.
  6. TroyMotors

TroyMotors Well-Known Member

Faultlessly amazing> Its not her fault. Its the fault people who hired her. You can't blame a monkey for throwing poop or a frog for jumping. Its what they do. You put a frog in the desert and it will die in the sand. You put a monkey in a life boat and it will eventually drowned.
    The people who hired her did not train her and this is why its their fault. She had no business in that truck.

Disclaimer: she is an idiot with out a doubt but she was given a tool she didn't know how to use and this is the end result. Kinda like giving a machine gun to a 10 year old. Sure he can fire it. Sure he can probably hold it and maybe even hit a target. But sooner rather then later, he will hurt someone unintentionally.

Tazz likes this.
  7. Tazz

Tazz Infidel Supporter

I would agree on the weights issue, something she should have learned in her government school but we see how well those places work.

However the height issue is a common sense, eye sight catchable, no training needed observation she failed to make.

8. patriciajnsn

patriciajnsn Steering Wheel Holder

I blame her and the company.maybe company a little more.in today's trucking starting with these so called schools it's all about money and nothing else.heck they don't even train the basics.more students get ripped off from the schools.then they go on to motar carriers for training only trainers use students for miles and companies use them for team loads.right now there's another preventable somewhere because of no common since.we have more steering wheel holders in the industry then professional drivers and getting worse.I've noticed over the last few yrs with more laws come poor training and poor drivers.this lady in this article didn't even know how much a ton wass.can you imagine that's what we have to deal with in today's trucking.I'm convinced toysrus sells CDLS.

9. (((ME)))

(((ME))) Well-Known Member

L@@K...Don't people know how to read signs any more.
    In the picture I see three signs...One lane bridge, weight limit 6 ton, NO TRUCKS how plain does it have to be....Before understanding hits the brain....Did she think those signs were there for decoration....They were posted for a reasonable warning. A 23 year old with a 17 year old passenger almost appears they were both out for a joy ride.
    She admits she was not comfortable about backing the semi in the article...In my opinion she should never been behind the wheel of that truck. I not a truck driver but I sure would not have taken a heavy load like that across such a bridge most especially with all the signs that were posted. Just expressing a opinion is all.

Tazz likes this.
  10. Southern Fried

Southern Fried Well-Known Member

When you use an industry as a dumping place for those classified as "unhirable" anyplace else this is what you get.

When you use "social engineering" and "quotas" as a model for your labor force this is what you get.

rigjockey likes this.
  11. Blood

Blood Driveler Emeritus Supporter

Robbie was 6 the first time he went truckin with me.
    Within an hour of the house we were approaching a 13'8" overpass that laid down in a dip like many do.

He asked, " Do you ever come up to a bridge that you can't go under?"
    3 or 4 other questions like that that made me think he was sharper than some of the newbs on the road.
    :D

We left on that trip following a family get-together.
    The kid didn't shut up at all for about 6 hours straight.
    I felt kind of bad but finally told him to be quiet for a while...
    that's when he told me that mom and Aunt Kari said truckers get sleepy right away and I should keep talking and asking questions until you stop to sleep.
    :mad:

My daughter and niece still laugh about that.
    :rant:

Inkeper, rigjockey, Injun and 3 others like this.
  12. Mathias

Mathias Well-Known Member

This one are not to bad to . Tell me why some think like that happen.May the driver don't know there is a back gear on this truck .Better than try a U turn in this condition.

13. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member Staff Member

Got no problem with the jail time, but let's not do it simply because it was a highly publicized incident, and due to the historic nature of the bridge.

Let's be fair and jail the rest of the folks who hit bridges in their trucks.

But, that will never happen.

gearjammer, Hammer166 and mndriver like this.
  14. Geranimojess

Geranimojess Well-Known Member

Really doesn't make it any longer...you only think it does...

Tazz, Injun, Blood and 3 others like this.
  15. Hammer166

Hammer166 Instigateur №166™

I think liquor might have the same effect.

Tazz, Injun and Blood like this.
  16. Geranimojess

When you sober up it's still only 6"...

rigjockey and Hammer166 like this.
  17. rigjockey

rigjockey Token Canadian.

Why ya gotta say 6" I say half a foot!:D:cool:

18. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

152 millimeters :D

rigjockey likes this.
  19. Geranimojess

I.....................................................................................................................I 6"
    I.....................................................................................................................I 16cm
    I.....................................................................................................................I 152mm

No matter how hard you try...............

rigjockey and Duck like this.