Truck stops getting smaller

Discussion in 'Truck Stop Reviews and Discussion' started by Renegade 21, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Renegade 21

Renegade 21 Member

Has anyone else seen the monopoly of Pilot, and Loves seemingly taking over many of the larger off breed truck stops. I see many of the old truck stops (not travel plaza's) being swallowed up. I drove for 23 years OTR, and remember the old PURE, Rip Griffins, and a few others that were dotted all across our country. Ever the Drivers Travel Marts, Dixie Truckers Home truck stops are gone. Boy! how times and an economy can change the landscape.

Duck likes this.
  2. Tazz

Tazz Infidel Supporter

I just noticed the other day the Pilot bought a bunch of the new Wilco/Hess stations.

3. Renegade 21

Renegade 21 Member

Those too. I forgot them. It seems like the good truck stops are being wiped out. The ones that use to have a real convenient store with a wide variety of items, western wear stores inside, a real restaurant (not just fast food). The kind like Oak Creek, MO Petro, Iowa 80, Emelenton,PA Emelenton T/S, not just the one's with small lots, and just want your money, and get out so the next person can be waited on for his/her money. I remember when a lot of the truck stops had C.B shops inside them.

4. Tazz

Tazz Infidel Supporter

We have on I20 ex 5 Ga. Go past the pilot, couple littler ones on I22. Flicks ain't bad food.

5. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member Staff Member

Newborn? ( I think that is how you spell it...)