Took me an hour to bump the dock at walmart for no reason, am I screwed?

Discussion in 'The Layover Tavern' started by English_please, Apr 20, 2017.

1. English_please

English_please Well-Known Member

TLDR:will walkmart DC call my company to complain I took too long to back into a spot?

I got it into the spot in 5 min flat, because I had all the room in the world but for some reason I kept bumping at a slight angle, one side bumber would be about 6 inches off at an angle.

So it ended up taking me 50 min to get in, I know I'm just mentally exhausted from some things that happened earlier today, but anyhow.... Will walmart call my company to complain about me?

2. rigjockey

rigjockey Token Canadian.

Do you think you are unique? If Walmart called ever company about drivers that took a long time to back in, All the stores a DCs would close.

3. ready to roll

ready to roll I ain't got no panties

If you spend to much time backing in they will consider you late at check in.

4. English_please

English_please Well-Known Member

Arrived at 20:00 , app time 20:30 . Turned in my paper work at 20:50. Honestly don't care about detention pay just want to make sure I won't have a mark on my record.

5. Tazz

Tazz Infidel Supporter

Just tell me which DC you at your truck number and company and I will make sure they do not ;)

• Like Like x 2
  6. ready to roll

Wm can count you as late if you dont get up to the window by your appt time.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  7. ironpony

ironpony Well-Known Member Supporter

That's appointment time plus ten minutes when they time stamp your bills at the window. That's what's meant by "on time" at a WallyWorld DC. And they will count you as late if you're not smiling and takin' abuse at that point.

:D

Any "black mark" you receive will be judged by whether you are on time or not.

Walmart allows you to be at the gate (99% of their DCs) one hour early. It's a good idea to take advantage of that, because theres a bunch of "standing around time" that has to be factored into getting to the CTO window "on time." Not that they'll actually start unloading you before your appointment time if you actually are early.

:mad:

It's not just for detention... it also counts against your carrier since the shipper can demand a discount in shipping price if you're carrier is consistently late.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  8. GAnthony

GAnthony Well-Known Member

we have all had bad days, this is not something we all like to go thru, but we do.

i don't know walmart's policies regarding how much time it took you to back in. (others here do)

i will say this, i used to deliver to Pass & Seymour at Glen Cove, L.I.N.Y.

even if i was off a "tiny bit", once i pulled the brakes, i'd hear a LOUD thud.....those guys would drop the dock plate that fast.....so there, i always tried to be spot on.

9. Ranger_375

Ranger_375 Well-Known Member

If you're 6 inches off....check in, and see if they can drop the dock plate or not and get in. It gets you stamped, and now you have "free time" to fix it if they can't work with it.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

Every time I've ever delivered to a Walmart DC you pull up to a staging area and check in at the receiving window before they even tell you where to put the trailer.

11. ready to roll

The walmarts i go to the guard shack tells ya what dock to put it in and then you dolly down, disconnect, and then walk over to the check in window.

12. GAnthony

GAnthony Well-Known Member

i seem to remember when i went to the Mt. Pleasant, IA , d/c, i had to drop the trailer at whatever door, and disconnect, then park in a different area, they still do this at any d/c center.???

13. ironpony

ironpony Well-Known Member Supporter

I do a lot of WalJerk loads...

Sometimes. More often, I'm assigned a door at the shack.

Yep... that's the common approach.

Depends on the DC. Some of them run a separate bobtail lot - if they do, you're required to disconnect, and go park in the lot.

The three variables on WallyWorld DCs are whether you get a door assigned at the gate, or have to wait.

Whether you're expected to disconnect and pull forward, or park in the bobtail lot.

Whether they want the $50 before you're unloaded or afterwards.

Its pretty much a common experience otherwise.

14. ready to roll

Yeah they do. Like Iron pony says, sometimes you just disconnect and then pull forward a few feet.

15. InTooDeep

InTooDeep Well-Known Member

McCarran NV you do unhook and park

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2017
  16. ready to roll

You have a choice at McCarran. Disconnect and pull forward or disconnect and park in bobtail area.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2017
  17. quillcom

quillcom Well-Known Member

Ahh the phantom optical illusion dock. I've got one of those on my run. If you kook at it carefully you'll see that either the painted lines are not squared with the dock or adjacent divider wall etc.

• Like Like x 2
  18. THBatMan8

THBatMan8 Well-Known Member

Buy some straps. Next time you encounter a phantom dock with no guidelines (I hate those. They were designed by Satan himself), lay straps down on the ground flush with the dock.

• Like Like x 1
  19. rigjockey

rigjockey Token Canadian.

Never thought of that, i could have used that at nothing in this place is square place:thumbsup:
    Now i am level expert at backing:toothpick:

• Like Like x 1
  20. THBatMan8

THBatMan8 Well-Known Member

Straps have another use too.

Tie 3 or 4 together. Throw an end over the top of your trailer. Inherit a buddy. One person holds an end. 2-3 passes and the top of the trailer will get cleaned from snow.

• Like Like x 1